Jethro Tull The Broadsword and the Beast SW remix and sessions coming in 2023

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, Apr 18, 2021.

1. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

I thought it is already time to open the thread for the new JT remix project, Broadsword and the Beast that is being put together as we speak, and planned for 2022 release.
    Ian himself has confirmed by now that Steven wilson will be at the remix desk and that this is going to be probably the largest box set that has yet come out.

Last edited: Apr 18, 2021
  2. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Hurray! Auto buy. I saw them on that tour, so I'm looking forward to the live set(s).

mur, Snow2, Jeff449 and 7 others like this.
  3. Daniel Falaschi

Check out the many cool videos posted in the JT board of the 1982 tour. Certainly very interesting set lists along that year.

1982 | The Jethro Tull Forum

4. Jamsterdammer

Jamsterdammer The Great CD in the Sky

Saw them on May 11th, 1982 in Rotterdam. Great show. Bought a poster of the album cover art which hung in my bedroom for many years.

Fred1 and Sean like this.
  5. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

Daniel, thanks for starting the best thread ever. King Broadsword!
    :cool: Bonus tracks, bonus tracks, bonus tracks, bonus tracks, bonus tracks...

[​IMG]

JulesRules, Carlox, Snow2 and 14 others like this.
  6. Daniel Falaschi

Well Ian himself is revealing more than he has for any of the boxes we have had so far.
    42 songs, demos, and unfinished tracks! Save some time to work on it TooTull ;):D
    Make room for the fat one!
    I am counting on that Rome gig already.

7. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

Everything finally in one place.

Overhang is a wicked freakin song and it stands along the rest of the actual album. So does JackA Lynn, Crew Nights, etc

8. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

Steven Wilson will need to do a lot of work to make this one listenable for me, but based on the A set I believe he can do it. Auto buy.

9. Brian Shively

Brian Shively I always have an opinion

This should be epic! Some of my favorite Tull songs. My favorite songs from these sessions not included on the original 1982 album: Motoreyes, Crew Nights, No Step, Drive on the young side of life, Lights out, Jack a Lynn, Too many too, Overhang and Down at the end of your road.

head_unit, pexie, M321115 and 6 others like this.
  10. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

Steven Wilson should be knighted as an honorary Tull member at this point ha, his work on the Tull reissues have brought a ton of new life into this material.

klockwerk, JCM800, pexie and 17 others like this.
  11. DesertChaos

DesertChaos Forum Resident

Indeed. I like JT but was never a "super-fan" and found many of the mid-70's albums between TaaB and SftW very patchy...Steven gave them a new fresh new life and the extra's and 5.1 stuff just got me hooked again.

Not really familiar with Broadsword - I'd given up at that point - but I'll be in on a book set just on the value I've gotten from the others and here's hoping the music clicks with me this time around.

denesis, head_unit, pexie and 6 others like this.
  12. My Tull listening stopped with for ‘A” for a long time. I might have to revisit this one

13. tootull

Looking forward to this. Although it's going to be difficult to get a Broadsword through customs. :D

14. Daniel Falaschi

You just swallow it.

15. This is by far my favourite Tull album after Stormwatch.It seemed to combine perfectly the more modern sound with Tull themes.Agree that much could be done to improve it sonically and they certainly have the right man on the job.
    The non album tracks that have been on 20 Years and Nightcap are also fantastic.They might have film of a concert to go with the live album going by Ian’s biggest box set remark.
    I have not been a completist on these box sets having not been interested in A,This Was,Too Old To Rock n’ Roll and Passion Play but this was one of the 3 or 4 I have been most looking forward to.

Fred1 and jordevi like this.
  16. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

:eek: That's the most essential one!

17. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

I just hope "the right balance" means having every track recorded in this era, a nice handful of home demos (there's bound to be a few more like that Jack-A-Lynn home demo released in the early 90s), and a nice show or two. I don't care if it's has comes to be a 6 CD - 4 DVD set, with a 150-page book to go with it (and a hefty price tag); I'll purchase it anyway.

18. Dr. Nick

Dr. Nick Tufnel Is God

This will be the second one that I'm all in on that I've never owned before .

I'm still hoping for a Broadsword and a Brick in 2022. . . Having all thirteen and missing that one will just plain suck.

DaveJ, FVDnz, BwanaBob and 1 other person like this.
  19. tootull

Circled by swallows
    In a world for the weary.
    Courted by warblers

[​IMG]

M321115 and Fred1 like this.
  20. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Still waiting for that Genesis/Jethro Tull mashup: Many Too Many Too Many Too.

21. tootull

1:5 And God called the light Tull, and the darkness he called Genesis. And the evening and the morning were the first day...of too many yes-men nodding when they really mean no.

Too many temples where we could worship the beast.
    Where he who thinks he had the most in fact has the least.
    Too many lives each cat can lose --
    I've got too many too.
    I've got too many too.

pexie, Haggis Wampovich and Fred1 like this.
  22. Instant Dharma

Instant Dharma Dude/man

True but the most essential one for me was Warchild. The Associated Recordings and the orchestral stuff make it for me.

pexie, Plan9 and DaveJ like this.
  23. georgwithoutane

georgwithoutane Forum Resident

I know I’m jumping the gun but is there any word on whether Walk Into Light will be given this treatment? I know I’d be an auto buy for that, but I can’t imagine the demand for Ian Anderson’s obscure debut solo album being that high. Then again if they’re doing Under Wraps they might as well make Walk Into Light a companion piece.

24. Not a fan of the album and I have the alternate version on Nightcap.The packaging is a bonus not a reason to buy.

25. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

A Passion Play was the most disappointing box set for me. Removing the flute from The Chateau D'Isaster Tapes ruined them for me. Still very happy to have the album proper in 5.1, but I won't listen to the fluteless
    The Chateau D'Isaster Tapes ever again.