Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by joepepitone, Nov 6, 2011.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

2. Keith V

Keith V Forum Resident

And I grin from ear to ear

3. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Great photo. I was/am a big punk/new wave fan but some of those photos of the old guard are fantastic. They don't make em like that anymore.

Runicen and tootull like this.
  4. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

In Iceland, Watchmaking With a Sense of Humor
    Mr. Sigurthorsson says the watches are popular with collectors and tourists, more than two million of whom visited Iceland in 2017.

One repeat visitor has been Ian Anderson, lead singer and flutist of the band Jethro Tull, who first visited the atelier in 2013 while performing in Iceland. He and Mr. Gudjonsson became fast friends, and the two still meet when he’s in town.

“I was greeted by a warm and welcoming gnome-like individual who turned out to be a bit of a fan,” Mr. Anderson, who is a watch collector, wrote in an email. “I was given a generous gift of a ‘101’ dress watch at the show the next night, and since then have purchased several watches for myself, wife and friends.”

Price-wise, the watches primarily fall into the €1,500-to-€2,500 range, while special editions can be €10,000 or more. (Watches purchased at the atelier include a 24 percent tax that tourists can have refunded at the airport.)

Dok likes this.
  5. jh901

jh901 Forum Resident

SHM disc?

6. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Yes, it was released in Japan in 2015. But that was limited edition.
    Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick

It is the only known physical version of CD without mastering by Peter Mew.

jh901 likes this.
  7. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

I will say that the SHM-CD is worth seeking out if you are a fan of the album and Steven Wilson's remixes.

bobcat likes this.
  8. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Still.. the digital version is 96k/24bit so it is the best possible available presentation of SW stereo remix without Peter Mew mastering.
    The SHM CD is sold out, so I assume it'll be hard to get and the prices will be far from optimal.
    But I didn't check, so not sure.

I've got anniversary bookset (with corrected 5.1 mix) and HDTRACKS 96/24 stereo remix, so I'm pretty satisfied.

9. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

The cheaper option is to get the Hi-Res download, and make a CD out of it (if you absolutely need a CD).

calgary669 likes this.
  10. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Right, very far from optimal. The 2015 copy goes for about $75 USD on discogs.

11. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

That is what the DCC Aqualung CD goes for around here, and nobody complains.

12. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

:D

13. disraeli

disraeli Forum Resident

Can someone please post an Amazon link to the Steve Wilson vinyl version.

Thank you kindly.

14. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Where would you buy this? HDTracks?

15. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

16. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

That's where I got it.
    Thick As A Brick | HDtracks - The World's Greatest-Sounding Music Downloads
    I burned it onto a CD-R (after slightly adjusting the track division points to fit my subjective preferences) and added three bonus tracks to max out the running time:
    "Thick as a Brick" live 1977 (from Songs from the Wood)
    "Thick as a Brick" live 1978 (from Madison Square Garden)
    "Thick as a Brick," studio re-recording 1993 (from The Beacons Bottom Tapes on the 25th anniversary box set)

Runicen and calgary669 like this.
  17. calgary669

calgary669 Forum Resident

Thank you!

18. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

So you prefer Madison Square Garder version over Europe 1978 version (from Heavy Horses bookset or Bursting Out)?

19. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

20. pbuzby

pbuzby Senior Member

Other than Tony Williams replacing Glascock on the MSG version, I don't know how easy it would be to find differences.

21. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I burned the CD-R before the Heavy Horses bookset came out. Plus the MSG version was a bonus track on the 1997 reissue, so there was a precedent for its inclusion. Besides, on the Berne recording issued with HH, Ian fluffed a note during the intro so the rendition didn't get off to an auspicious start.

One could probably fill a whole CD with live renditions of "Brick," even without the full-album recording from Iceland. But I haven't done that (yet). The only time I filled up a whole disc with live performances of the same song, it was "Yours Is No Disgrace" by Yes.

Mirsset likes this.
  22. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

I appreciate the earlier responses (to my posts #1408, 1415 and 1418) regarding the confusing 2012 Steve Wilson standalone CD reissues which unfortunately still have the Peter Mew mastering. Given the info and my relentless internet pursuit, I was able to locate the Japanese SHM 2015 version at a not-too-outrageous price, $50 in mint with the obi. I notice the credits in the clear tray card beneath the CD do still state, "Mastering by Peter Mew at Abbey Road," but I see some discussion a number of pages back that is because Chrysalis/Warners Japan just reprinted the original credits from the 2012 version and didn't update/correct them. I also see some posts debating whether the Japanese SHM is indeed the Wilson mastering or still the Mew. Question I don't think has been asked (and my apologies if it has): I saw the link to Wilson's May 28, 2015 website post discussing the 2015 downloads being his mastering and the frustration (and confusion) that the regular standalone CDs reissued at the same time weren't, but has he ever posted anything confirming that the 2015 Japanese SHM CD pressing is his version? Thanks in advance :righton:

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

No, we're going by previously posted DR values and individual sound reports. It would be cool if someone having the 2015 SHM-CD could post peak values or DR values to confirm this once and for all.
    For info: Mew master DR10, Wilson master DR13

24. Geof

Geof Forum Resident

Thanks for the comment Plan9, as I was wondering if Wilson himself had ever confirmed this anywhere. I myself couldn't be more tech-illiterate — I genuinely don't even know what "DR values" are or means — but as you state, hopefully someone with both the 2012 book set version and the 2015 Japanese standalone SHM can do a side-by-side comparison of the "DR values." Over the course f these 58 pages, a number of people have posted very firm beliefs about the Mew vs. Wilson being on CD or not, with the 'yes' side pointing to the Japanese SHM version and others simply claiming no standalone CD version exists.

25. Rael

Rael Forum Resident

So to sum it up. "Non Mew" version is only avalible as digital download right? Both standalone CD and the deluxe anniversary box have Mew's mastering?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.