JETHRO TULL: Thick As A Brick 50th anniversary deluxe reissue this October

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Progatron, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

We appear to be geo-blocked at this point here in Australia from pre-ordering the CD/DVD from amazon.com, but can pre-order the vinyl version!

2. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Hmmm Mew or no Mew on the stereo mix. That’s what i want to know before purchasing.

3. Marty T

Marty T Stereo Fan

Thanks for the info. For those of us that have the uncorrected 2012 DVD, I expect we now have 2 reasons to look forward to the reissue - no errors on the 5.1 and no Mew compression on the 5.1 (ASSuming it will be the same corrected disk of late 2012). I was gonna purchase the corrected either way and have been looking forward to the 50th Anniversary for some sort of 5.1 remedy. I think this is fine though it could be better.

Last edited: Jun 25, 2022
    Plan9 likes this.
  4. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

I'm with you...I don't have the Mew-less version so if I was to fork out £8 for the 2015 single CD, I might as well go the whole hog and buy another book version

5. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Hopefully we will soon get official word as to the specific origin/mastering of both the Wilson stereo and the 5.1 on the DVD.

JulesRules, Plan9 and Kiss73 like this.
  6. gregorya

gregorya I approve of this message

Just pre-ordered the CD/DVD... looking forward to it.

LordThanos1969 and Munger74 like this.
  7. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

Seconded. No Steven Wilson Tull thread is complete without a Greek chorus lamenting that they missed out, waiting for the price to go down.

The label has no incentive to overproduce these sets so they stay in stock in perpetuity. They only make money off the copies that sell. Snap 'em up.

8. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Has anyone seen an Amazon USA listing for the CD 50th?

I only see a vinyl listing. :confused:

9. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Because there's no 50s cd set...

Horace Wimp and Old Fred like this.
  10. lucan_g

lucan_g Forum Resident

I've quit thinking about price jumps and drops. Its kinda like the stock market-- some I win, some I lose -- in the end I figure it all balances out. If I spent my life watching every rise and dip it would cause way more upset than if I just made a decision, moved on, and enjoyed what I had.

JakeKlas likes this.
  11. Vaughan

Vaughan Forum Resident

Amen. Physical music spoken of in terms of value is the most distasteful element of our hobby, imo. I can understand it from the extent of first pressings and vintage copies etc., but in terms of a Thick as a Brick set from a few years ago? Let's rejoice that the fact that more people will be able to get it at a price they can afford.

I have noticed a new copies going up on Ebay in the last week for bloated prices,. When I see them, I note how disgusting these people must be. IMO. YMMV.

stevef, granata, Alan57 and 2 others like this.
  12. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

folkfreak likes this.
  13. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

This is in stark contrast to the Zappa/Erie thread where many people are employing pretzel logic to convince themselves that $130 for six CDs is a "good deal".

14. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Re: DVD mastering:
    Plan9, are you sure the corrected 2012 DVD was presented without Mew's mastering? I thought that was just on the 2015 CD? I thought the 2012 corrections were just these:
    From Tootull - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick 40th Anniversary Special Edition #420 "Thick as a Brick - If you need to hear the glitches, listen here -. 5.1 DD & DTS ONLY - 3 glitches noted at the beginning of side one. First two drop outs are strangely enough on the first two uses of the word down. Then something strange (drop out?) at the 3:03 mark.
    To repeat: There is a production defect with the 5.1 DVD. At times 2:32, 2:48 & 3:03 of "Side 1""

From DVD/DTS Poll - Jethro Tull - Thick As A Brick (Defective Original Disc) [DTS/DD DVD] #92 Davie - "
    we may get the opportunity to buy a lossless BR of the unvarnished new mixes at some time in the indefinite future. Maybe a 50th anniversary edition? So despite the complaining, including my own, I'm keeping it. The excellent flat transfer of the original 1972 mix turns out to be the real prize here."
    Steven Wilson - "EMI most certainly are repressing the disc - still as a DVD, and officially only to fix the glitches," (my bold type) "but (again just between me and this forum) please take another listen to the whole 5.1 mix when you get your replacement. It will still include the same flat transfer of the original mix, so nothing to lose."
    I don't know if we'll ever get a definitive answer on this repress but I hope so.

15. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Only on the 5.1 mix. The stereo remix on the corrected DVD still had Mew's mastering. Note how I only mentionned the 5.1 mix in my original message.

In addition to this, the 5.1 mix was tweaked a bit.

Hope that's clear now.

jeffreybh, Bonddm, shadlet and 2 others like this.
  16. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

So we are still waiting to find out if the CD and the stereo on the DVD are Wilson or Meh?

17. servo086

servo086 Active Member

Ok ... I don't think I have anything close to good vinyl equipment but I got my Rhino order in for the LP. Went with Rhino because I figure they can't have worse packaging than Amazon.
    It seems like this will be a quality release and it isn't just a cash grab. I'm mainly a movie collector so I just hope it's legitimately a great release.

18. shadlet

shadlet Forum Resident

Yes, if you assume this 2022 repress maybe goes beyond the glitch-corrected set with Mew's CD and DVD stereo from 2012 that Plan9 describes above.
    I believe the folks at Burning Shed have been asked about this..?

19. Bonddm

Bonddm Forum Resident

Haggis Wampovich and aoxomoxoa like this.
  20. Swordsandchains

Swordsandchains True metal never rusts

Already have the corrected cd/dvd but couldn’t resist the LP version, ordered on amazon

21. folkfreak

It's not Wilson OR Mew. Wilson mixed it. Mew just mastered it afterwards.

shadlet likes this.
  22. SilverCheek

SilverCheek Forum Resident

Is the corrected dvd still available as stand alone somewhere?

23. folkfreak

I guess it will be in the re-press. Otherwise no.

LordThanos1969 and shadlet like this.
  24. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist Thread Starter

Man, if they press a flawed DVD and subsequently send out replacement discs, that might be taking the 'identical repress' thing a bit too far! :biglaugh:

25. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

:yikes:

Funny, though this post will lead to many nightmares for the people involved.

JulesRules, folkfreak and murrays like this.