JETHRO TULL: Thick As A Brick 50th anniversary deluxe reissue this October

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Progatron, Jun 21, 2022.

1. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Looking at how many people sought for this release to happen again, the decision should be an easy one.

2. Jack

Jack Senior Member

Ordered at Amazon UK a couple days ago. Already shipped. I didn’t want to wait until January or beyond.

Bill007 likes this.
  3. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

I checked out Amazon UK but don’t want to pay $40 total if the January date is possible for US. I hate giving more money to Amazon than necessary unless I have to especially when they don’t pay taxes as a corporation in the US

Taxman likes this.
  4. fjtull

fjtull Forum Resident

friend74 likes this.
  5. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

Where are you getting your information about there is no distributor in the US? And all orders have been cancelled?
    I haven't read that.

6. The different announced release dates for the US were always very unusual for this release.It seems the “technical error” Rhino -who were the US distributors- were referring to in their cancellation email is not a manufacturing one.Copies have been sent out for orders made from the rest of the world.
    It seems pretty safe to assume that like the Live And Dangerous box there is no US distributor and US retailers won’t get supply.Added to that a number of European retailers have already sold out of their allocation.

7. StingRay5

StingRay5 Important Impresario

I canceled my Amazon US order for the CD bookset. It's tempting to pick it up from some seller that actually has it, but I've got the LP and the HD download of the non-Mew Steven Wilson remix and that's really all I need.

FVDnz and hbbfam like this.
  8. Nycademon

Nycademon Forum Resident

I'm keeping my Amazon order, will see what happens. I also have the HD download and the 2022 LP. I'd like to have the flat transfer of the original mix, the surround mix would be nice even though I rarely listen to surround, and of course, it'd be nice to have the book to go with the others. But none of that is enough incentive for ordering from Europe -- costs too much and shipping is a pain. In terms of content, this is by far the weakest of the book sets.

JeffreyB and Norco74 like this.
  9. HotelYorba101

HotelYorba101 Senior Member

To get back to the music itself as opposed to shipping issues momentarily, how does everyone feel about the remix versus the original? I really like it overall, especially during the "Poet and the Painter" section with the non-phased drums, however that being said the original mix is so good that I consider them equals more than the other mixes where I pretty much consider Steven Wilson's mix to be the definitive version for my ears

Mirsset and StingRay5 like this.
  10. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

[​IMG]

The only difference is P 2015.

FVDnz, albertop and Fred68 like this.
  11. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

I see it's up for pre-order at Acoustic Sounds. (although total with shipping is $41.29)
    I'll try there as I am forever against buying CD's on Amazon, having been burnt more than once with their in house CDrs.
    Rhino was selling it as a 50th anniversary, everyone I see now sells it as a 40th.

JeffreyB likes this.
  12. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

In other words, you don't have any real information. You're just making assumptions based on a few people who have had their orders cancelled. When this reissue was first announced, the release date was the same for all, October 7. Then it was delayed to November 25, and then another delay to January 20.
    It seems the January 20 delay was only for US retailers?

You could be correct, but not everyone has had their orders cancelled yet. I will contact Bull Moose tomorrow and see if they have any info on this. Thanks, take care. :)

13. GRompre68

GRompre68 Vive le Prog Quebecois

I preordered months ago with The Burning Shed. They did send me an email saying they will ship on Jan 20th 2023. Additionally, they said: "The new release date for US customers is 20th January 2023 so we will be holding all US preorders back until that date".

So, keeping my fingers crossed here. I confess I am getting nervous by that delay.........

JeffreyB, Old Fred and Audiowannabee like this.
  14. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

I just cancelled my Shed order. Why wait any longer when I can get it now from other sources?

GRompre68 likes this.
  15. Bill007

Bill007 Forum Resident

But not US sources?

Old Fred likes this.
  16. Progatron

Progatron Wealthy industrialist philanthropist & bicyclist Thread Starter

Still listed on Amazon Canada for release this coming Friday the 9th. Currently $31.91 Cdn.

Norco74 likes this.
  17. Old Fred

Old Fred Forum Resident

Right. Overseas.

18. omma

omma Forum Resident

Thank you for contacting ImportCDs!

Our records indicate that the item is expected to be released on 01/20/23. The item will ship as soon as becomes available.

19. JeffreyB

JeffreyB Senior Member

Bull Moose replied to my question. They contacted their buyer to confirm the release date is still January 20, 2023.

JulesRules, MrJerry1876 and Alan57 like this.
  20. albertop

albertop Forum Resident

From this picture, I would assume the CD is a flat transfer of SW's mix. I've got my copy today but I haven't checked if also the DVD includes a Mew-less copy of SW (stereo) mixes.

21. Kiss73

Kiss73 Forum Resident

So......we still don't have confirmation of what mixes are on the "new" set yet? Is that correct?

22. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

I am a bit confused re TAAB (have been for years) repress of the 2012 cd/dvd combination in the book format like the others. I have a 2012 but it is one with the faulty 5.1 but is fine for me because I do not have a 5.1 set up. Is this new repress out. Amazon is jolly confusing and I just checked Burning Shed where it is in stock then out of stock then pre order? Keeping up with product from the music biz is getting harder these days.

23. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

It's not mainly the digital in Mo-Fi that is making you disappointed but the mastering style. Some of the DSD sourced cuts are really good. Some of the analogue sourced cuts are not so good. Wilson is not using DSD but flat hi-res copies of the session tapes which he remixes with reference to the original mix. In general they are very good including all the Tull reissues. I actually prefer some over original copies. They don't sound digital. Thick As A Brick is fine but as some have pointed out the 2022 half speed cut is brighter sounding than the 2015 Steve Wilson. The Wilson is better than the 2012 that came in the TAB part I & II box. I think the original TAB is still the best by a small margin. The benefit of the 2022 is you get a pristine repro of the newspaper sleeve which is now hard to find in nice shape and will have yellowed with age.

vinylvin likes this.
  24. arthurprecarious

arthurprecarious Forum Resident

Saw it yesterday in UK store HMV. I think it was around £40.

Seemed a bit steep for what seemed to be just a 2 disc package

25. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

CD of the new mix by Steven Wilson
    • DVD WITH 5.1 DTS & Dolby Digital surround sound mix, high quality stereo 96/24 (new mix),
    Thick As A Brick original 1972 stereo mix flat transferred to 96/24 PCM from the original 1972 Morgan Studios recording by Robin Black, plus the 1972 radio ad.
    Features the original newspaper over 40 pages, an article by Classic Rock's Dom Lawson, rare photos from photographers Didi Zill and Robert Ellis, recording and touring mementos and much more, all contained in 104 page 7 ½ x 5 ½ hardback book.
    It can be obtained cheaper than HMV and is good value I reckon.

rikki nadir, Fred Dender and Munger74 like this.