Jethro Tull - This Was and Mr. Steven Wilson *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dougb222, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Old Zorki II

Old Zorki II Storm Watcher

Tell it to Beatles fans )))
    Their threads have tons of very good explanations why

Last edited: Sep 5, 2018
  2. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

For This Was, the guitars have more power in mono.

3. DreamTull

DreamTull Well-Known Member

I'll better stay in this thread then...

aoxomoxoa and Old Zorki II like this.
  4. MikeManaic61

MikeManaic61 Forum Resident

This Was is one of the very few albums where I preferred mono over stereo. Dharma for One sounds amazing to me in mono.

phil1db, correctodad and tootull like this.
  5. correctodad

correctodad Forum Resident

It's a reasonable question. My answer is that quite a few albums in the mid to late 60's had significant differences between the stereo and mono mixes (The White Album, Face To Face, Mr Fantasy and Music in a Doll's House being just a few examples). I'm just curious to hear This Was in mono but would first like to hear other peoples assessment of the mastering.

6. Good response. I personally don’t find the mono This Was particularly engaging and have no issues with stereo mix. By 1968 the stereo mixes were generally getting much better and mono was now getting less attention.

correctodad likes this.
  7. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Jethro Tull's "This Was" on CD
    2008 - This Was was remixed in stereo on the Deluxe 2-CDs set. On that same edition, the mono mix was also released for the first time in digital, with all accompanying singles and extra tracks.
    It sounds great and you get all the music recorded during that period, including the BBC John Peel's sessions. - Plan9

I said: I prefer the mono CD version of This Was, except for the vocal distortion on *A Song For Jeffrey. I find the voice effect on *track 9 (disc 1) to be torture as it is turned up too loud to the point of distortion.

correctodad and Plan9 like this.
  8. street legal

street legal Senior Member

The 2008 2CD set does not include "Aeroplane".

9. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I believe "Aeroplane" and "Blues for the 18th" date from earlier sessions with the John Evan Band; you can hear the horn section, mixed low. "Sunshine Day" may be the only Toe recording from the Mick Abrahams era, leading to the decision to only include recordings by the Abrahams lineup. But I'm pleased with Wilson's decision to include all the Toe tracks for the sake of thoroughness. There's a very rough live tape in circulation, briefly heard on the Classic Artists documentary; I don't know if that's considered too poor quality to warrant a widespread commercial release. Also, they were nowhere near close to the classic Tull sound yet, so the recordings may be only of academic interest to many - rather like the 1966 Iveys recording that Ron Griffiths recently released. It's interesting to hear Pete Ham and the others belting out R&B standards, but the recordings themselves are not intrinsically fascinating on their own merits.

10. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

"Round" has two guitars in the mono mix.

11. DreamTull

DreamTull Well-Known Member

I guess it is some kind of jam...or perhaps a medley?

12. aoxomoxoa

aoxomoxoa I'm an ear sitting in the sky

Different mix. Different overall feel.

13. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

What is Import CDs waiting for ? Load the damn thing already !!!

Six Bachelors likes this.
  14. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

If it were a medley, wouldn't they list the titles of the component songs (like they did on the various live discs)? If it's an original piece, there's no way to know what it's like until we hear it or an insider describes it fairly thoroughly.

15. therockman

therockman Senior Member In Memoriam

Wow, I can't wait. All I need after this Benefit.

16. Myke

Myke Trying Not To Spook The Horse

Import CDs finally loaded. Within pennies of Bull Moose.

Runicen and Electric like this.
  17. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Amazon.ca as well. Canadians do your own search before ordering. Price is competitive but not definitive...;)

18. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Anyone know how many copies of the remix book formats have been made for each album?

19. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Not enough!

20. highway

highway Forum Resident

I ordered passion play on Amazon on August 12 and just received notice that it will ship - very good price. Not sure it will work as it was listed as out of stock for a while and the estimated delivery window I received was between November 7 and December 19:

https://www.amazon.com/Passion-Play-2CD-2DVD/dp/B00J4A27B2

SecondHandNews likes this.
  21. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

So are the masters lost for "One For John Gee"? No Wilson remix on that one, I see. Same with "Sunshine Day," though less surprisingly.

From a listening standpoint ~ First World problem alert ~ kinda wish the latter song wasn't relegated to the back end of disc 2 with "Aeroplane" & "Blues For the 18th." It is the This Was lineup, after all, and one of the rare Abrahams originals.

Last edited: Oct 5, 2018
  22. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Will be interesting to hear songs such as aeroplane, sunshine day and blues for the 18th remixed. They won’t sound as old though once Wilson is done with them

23. anth67

They don't show as Wilson remixes on the official track listing. They're not included with the "associated recordings" on disc 1. (Neither is One For John Gee, which is listed only in "original mono mix.")

Would love it if they turned out to be, though. Right now, they're just listed as song titles with no mix indicator at all.

DreamTull likes this.
  24. yescool2002

yescool2002 Forum Resident

Don´t think there are multi tracks available for those.

25. anth67

Apparently so for John Gee, too, as it didn't get a stereo remix last round, either. Too bad, I love that little track.

Plan9 likes this.