Jethro Tull - This Was and Mr. Steven Wilson *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dougb222, Sep 16, 2016.

1. kees1954

kees1954 Forum Resident

Did anyone actually hear "Love Story" and "A Christmas Song" in 5.1 Surround Sound Mix? I can't find them on my copy of the DVD:confused:

2. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes in the main menu go to "The Steven Wilson Remixes" then "Associated Recordings", and there they are. Click Play and change the audio track to either DTS or Dolby.

kees1954 likes this.
  3. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Lee Speaks About Music… #111
    Lee’s overall Complete Package Value Rating…
    The Packaging Rating Score. 10/10
    The Price Point Rating Score. 10/10
    The Bonus Material Rating Score. 7/10
    The 4.1 Mix Rating Score. 10/10
    The Original Album Rating Score. 7/10

laf848, Acoustic Warrior and FVDnz like this.
  4. The flute-overdubbed Chateau tracks are worth getting (Nightcap should be available cheap).

bobcat likes this.
  5. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

It’s a pity that the original tapes of all the extras weren’t found

6. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

Gotta say, Ian loses some points for me with his comments about John Mayall... and with three mixes of the same album on CD, this is definitely one of the weaker parts of the series. And I say that as somebody who has not owned this album before (and who prefers the sound of Ian's harmonica to Ian's flute most of the time!!) - but maybe it's also just because, as Ian himself admits, This Was just isn't up to the standard of other blues (rock) albums of the era. Mick Abrahams' comments that this is the best album ever released under the Tull name... well, he's entitled to his opinion, of course, but I just can't help shaking my head...

Some of the vinyl rips ("Cuckoo" in particular) sound pretty bad compared to the other tracks. I don't really see the need for a vinyl rip anyway, given that most of the mixes simply seem to be reversed? All but two songs could have easily been re-created from the later stereo mix.

Also, does anybody know why Ian does not play on Cat's Squirrel? The Cream version had Jack Bruce on harmonica...

kees1954 likes this.
  7. vinylvin

vinylvin Forum Resident

$26.26 at Amazon now + it says 10% coupon. Too Old is the same price also.

8. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

I also was not blown away by the S/T TYA album at first. As a young kid coming from A Space in Time, it sounded prehistoric, and not in a good way. Then it clicks later, and the psych element is so subtle it takes time to even hear that undercurrent. Jazz / Blues / Psych classic! And Tull's "This Was" is one as well in very much the same way.

It's recorded so well that the sound quality can be striking once one is open to it. It's thrilling for me to go back to these exceptionally well done albums, and hear them in a new way. That is one sign of a classic.

So anyway, thanks for commenting, appreciated.

kees1954 likes this.
  9. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

So is it too early to start looking forward to 2019's Stormwatch box?

Acoustic Warrior and tinnox like this.
  10. Lord Hawthorne

Lord Hawthorne Currently Untitled

Nope. There's already a thread on that.

11. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

It is, however, too early to complain about what they left off the Stormwatch box. ;)

JulesRules and Jimijam like this.
  12. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective

Stormwatch will close the classic era remix series in style. No reason to be worried, we will even get some live material too :righton::-popcorn::cheers:
    Merry Xmas and Happy new year Tull fans:cheers::cheers:

13. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

How nice! Except Stormwatch is not a part of the real classic era.

14. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I was on the fence about this until a poster linked the amazingly low price that I got this for $26.26. I was this way because I thought Peter Mew had done such a good job on the 2008 Remaster of This Was.

I even made a comment to a poster........:doh:.........about how much better could this Steven Wilson mix possibly be?..........:shake: :rolleyes: :sigh:. Funny, because I have all of the others and love them. Let me apologize to Old Zorki II.

Well, I will wholeheartedly and adamantly admit I am glad I was wrong. I would like to say to the poster I was wrong. The only word I can come up with is depth. It is hard to explain except for that term. My goodness is this DVD spectacular and that is something considering his work in the Tull catalog. I cranked this sucker pretty good and the bass work on Beggar's Day.........wow!. I can also say I have really not been a fan of Dharma For One. That goes back to the first time I heard it on Living In The Past. I know I might be the crazy one for saying this. But here I really gave it a listen and I was floored.

So, in the end, Mr. Wilson, I again bow to your skills..........:drool:

Last edited: Dec 24, 2018
  15. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

I would agree begrudgingly. But that also could be in the mind of the beholder. For me, everything to Broadsword falls into that category until 1982, except for A. That is when it really ended for me.

16. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

1969-82 is classic era

17. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Love A

DPM and Kim Olesen like this.
  18. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

+1. Every single note of if.

DPM likes this.
  19. Trainspotting

Trainspotting Senior Member

Nonsense. At least include 1968 in there and the This Was album. It's definitely better than either A or Broadsword and the Beast.

20. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I don't care, it's a great album. I'll take it over Passion Play, Heavy Horses, and Too Old...

21. Todd W.

Todd W. It's a Puggle

Not sure about Heavy Horses........but the other two a definite yes.

22. SJB

SJB Beloved Parasitic Nuisance

I'm sure there are lots of ways to define the classic era, but to my mind, the classic era ended in mid-1980 when Ian cut the last ties with Tull's precursor bands. By this understanding, Stormwatch was the last classic-era album. That doesn't dismiss Tull's output in the 1980s and beyond, but the departures of Evans and Barlow marked a fundamental and permanent change in the sound, style, and dynamic of the group.

DaveJ, Pete Puma, Todd W. and 3 others like this.
  23. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

I disagree. It was the last album with drummer Barriemore Barlow, who is definitely part of the classic era, of course along with Clive Bunker. After he quit, JT was never the same IMHO. So for me, Stormwatch, which is also the last JT album of the 70's, is without a doubt, indeed the end of the classic era. 1968-1979.

sound chaser, slipkid and FritzL like this.
  24. downer

downer Senior Member

Received mine form Amazon US yesterday - 3 corners creased in like nobody's business - 2 hours on chat to resolve a replacement and that I'm not sending it back halfway around the world at my expense for their lousy packaging (bubble envelope)

25. scoutbb

scoutbb Senior Member

And also, if I might add from Wikipedia:
    "Stormwatch was notably the last Tull album to feature the "classic" line-up of the 1970s, as drummer Barriemore Barlow and keyboardists John Evan and David Palmer left the band the following year after the end of the Stormwatch tour, while bassist John Glascock died from heart complications during the tour".
    Okay, I'll stop!!