Jethro Tull - This Was and Mr. Steven Wilson *

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by dougb222, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Kalli

Kalli Forum Resident

Maybe they left because they felt the band would have had lost the spirit of the real classic era since quite a while then.

2. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Any word on a vinyl release of this remix ?

3. Evans and Palmer were fired by Ian -whether Barrie was fired or quit is a debatable point. Barrie was not happy with the way John Glasscock (his good friend) was treated by Ian and this was the reason Barrie gives for quitting at the end of the Stormwatch tour.

4. Guy from Ohio

Guy from Ohio Senior Member

5. culabula

culabula Unread author.

6. JulesRules

JulesRules Weaponized, Deranged Warthog Thug

According to the Heavy Horses book, DP had already wanted to quit during that album's tour.

7. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Does anyone knows whether a single disc edition of the SW "This Was" remix is planned? Don't need the whole package this time but I'm intrigued nevertheless.

8. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

Will surely come out soon as all of the other ones from this serie...

9. Limopard

Limopard National Dex #143

Last edited: Jan 19, 2019
  10. jordevi

jordevi Forum Resident

tootull, mikew and JediJoker like this.
  11. culabula

culabula Unread author.

12. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Last edited: Jan 26, 2019
  13. culabula

culabula Unread author.

14. culabula

culabula Unread author.

JediJoker likes this.
  15. jstger6969

jstger6969 Forum Resident

16. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Vinyl arrived today. First listen in my store, it sounds excellent. The disc is perfectly flat and dead quiet. Shall play at home tonight and compare with the original and the last stereo pressing release the later of which sounds somewhat flat and muddy to me compared to the oh so immediate original which I really love

tootull and culabula like this.
  17. culabula

culabula Unread author.

Wholeheartedly agree. Pure black silence when the needle hits the groove until the music begins. Good job on the original label too, unlike the 2008 version which sported a green Chrysalis label.

18. jstger6969

jstger6969 Forum Resident

Hmmm Amazon claims delivery March 8 - March 27
    Has this been delayed in the U.S.?

19. Kimiimacman

Kimiimacman Forum Resident

Yes, very quiet but can’t agree on the label though. Nothing remotely like an original other than it’s a shade of pink (wrong shade too for that matter) Here’s the first three labels in order left to right. My oldest is a third press ie the pink with white ‘i’
    [​IMG]

tootull likes this.
  20. culabula

culabula Unread author.

I just meant that I prefer an effort to reproduce the first label rather than just slap a green Chrysalis on as they did before. They never get it 100%.

But you’re right. I must have glanced at it without glasses this morning in my haste to put it on. In fact they’ve used the Island fount to proclaim JETHRO TULL writ large instead, with the Chrysalis butterfly on the left hand side.

JediJoker and Kimiimacman like this.
  21. tootull

Out Now: Jethro Tull, THIS WAS: 50TH ANNIVERSARY REMASTER on 180-gram vinyl | Rhino
    Friday, February 15, 2019
    Last year marked the 50th anniversary of Jethro Tull, and while it’s perhaps an exaggeration to say that we held a year-long party in their honor, we certainly did celebrate the occasion, releasing a pair of new best-of collections as well as some reissues. One of the most notable of those reissues was the 50th anniversary edition re-release of the band’s debut album, THIS WAS.

And yet from the distance we heard your plaintive cries of frustration: “What of the fans who only want the original album? Oh, won’t someone please think of the fans who only want the original album?!” :D

So you’re welcome: as of today, you can now own the 50th anniversary remaster of THIS WAS on 180-gram vinyl.

22. Classicrock

Classicrock Senior Member

They can't replicate an Island label because owned by Universal and Tull / Chrysalis catalogue was sold to Warner in the EMI split up.

23. Norco74

Norco74 For the good and the not so good…

24. tootull

Jethro Tull My Sunday Feeling (Vinyl 50th Anniversary - Steve Wilson Remix, Accuphase, Koetsu Black)

25. Ed Hughes

Ed Hughes Senior Member

One of my favorite Tull songs. :righton:

tootull likes this.