Jethro Tull Too Old To Rock and Roll too young to Die! deluxe 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

It's out there for those in the USA. I love the sound. Never made the connection that the word traveler in the title refers to the "travelers" people (something like Roma) - not everyday people on a trip.

2. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

"Commercial Traveller" can be heard on Spotify. I like it.

3. SGene

SGene Senior Member

I'm listening to it right now on Rdio

4. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

For those who don't use any online music service there is now a 30 second sample of it on Amazon.

ParloFax likes this.
  5. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

It's now on youtube as well. I quite like it. A bit overblown in the arrangment, but a good tune.

6. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

Not availale here.

7. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

Not avaible here either but i have preordered the set and will hear it in due time anyway.....

8. Galeans

Galeans Forum Resident

Kim Olesen likes this.
  9. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

10. slipkid

slipkid Senior Member

Curious where folks are finding the least expensive version of this so far.

Cheapest I've seen is from ImportCDs with their existing 10% coupon, makes it about $26 with the shipping.

11. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Sounds cool. Why does Ian take the best session songs away and hides them for years? I'll guarantee that advertising man is better than most of the album songs. Still spewing the song wasn't included

12. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

The song has clicked straight away. Probably the best song from the Too old session already. Anyone know what kind of song Advertising man was? Ian owes us lol. Should release it separately as a download

13. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Watching this for the very first time - I like it. Looking forward to seeing this with better clarity and audio in what will be a couple weeks for me. Barriemore Barlow and his giant sticks on Pied Piper lol.

14. Six Bachelors

Six Bachelors Troublemaking enthusiast

Martin Barre playing a Telecaster? Never seen that anywhere else.

15. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Just received the email from Burning Shed notifying that it's on its way! :)

16. Daniel Falaschi

Mine shipped today.

17. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Google translate:

TOO OLD TV Edition - much to discover
    A few days ago we flew the TV Special Edition of Jethro Tull Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young To Die into the house. Behind this long title, the lovingly refurbished version of the original album of 1976. I will now devote myself hides the album and go primarily to the Audio CDs.

Artwork: The album comes in a book format with a stylized Ian Anderson on the cover. If you open up the album, front are the two audio CDs and behind the comprehensive booklet the two DVDs. The booklet is really awesome. Here can also be found a comic and a lot of background information on the album along with many photos of the band and the lyrics.

Sound Quality: The CDs listen to absolutely super. Of course you can hear differences between the original album Flat transfers and the different stages of evolution of the songs. But precisely these small and subtle differences make it exciting in this edition.

Music: After the short "Prelude" to do it right with "Quiz Kid" in the depths of the rock complex of Ian Anderson. The song features a complex rhythm and the recurring, skillful flute play the front-man of Jethro Tull. The next two tracks then rippling something under his breath without in any way being boring. But Title 5 "Taxi grave" that will not go then from the head. Strong riffs and a very straight rhythm stomping slowly through the song. As a special treat you can hear here in the background a harmonica - of course played by Ian Anderson. The following "From A Dead Beat To An Old Greaser" is then a quiet ballad that somehow reminds me of the melancholy of Pink Floyd's album The Dark Side Of The Moon. Of course, this album is no way around the theme song "Too Old To Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young To Die" passing. This song is also held in the rock style and sounds to me but at the same time also very thoughtful and comes partially over very melancholic. The title 12-16 are the original LP tracks from 1975 or 1976. Right-fat then sounds again Title 17 "Quiz Kid (Version 1)" Here you can hear the truly wild version the opener of the album.

On the second CD there Associated Recordings and the Original Album Track Flat Transfer Album. The first title of the album "Salamander" is characterized by its lightweight and trendy way to what one is kind of weird and atypical accustomed. One should listen to the track several times to decide whether it is a piece of rock history or quite simply strange. "Commercial traveler" then strongly reminiscent of the classic Jethro Tull "Aqualung". There is a wild percussion, strings and oblique choppy vocals of Ian Anderson. For the remaining tracks you should take some time, since it partly concerns bonus songs and different versions of the title already belonged.

One should not think now that from the album everything has already been retrieved. Now there is to discover 2 DVDs. On the first DVD there in 43 minutes, the television broadcast to the album. Here the songs are not simply performed live, they are much more fitted in a play. So you will be partially abducted in a strange dream with a beautiful dancer or looks like Ian Anderson makes his aged mirror image. Anyone who thinks the music of Jethro Tull is worn, is convinced of this imagery from the fact that they are also optically completely nuts. There is also on the two DVDs 3 hours of audio material in various formats without imagery. Overall, therefore, again much to discover.

Conclusion: You can not reinvent the wheel. But this edition of Jethro Tull's Old To Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young To Die shows the wheel in so many facets, as it gets anyway. It really is an exciting collection of all materials of this album where I partly already too much find it. Every connoisseur of Jethro Tull gets the album in great quality and the gourmets can employ up days so hours.

CD edition:
    [​IMG]

18. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm not a fan of this album, but these re-releases are so well-crafted and informative that I can't resist, so I'm gonna get it.

Paulo Alm, Plan9 and tootull like this.
  19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Me too.

20. tootull

RubenH, Bhob, makedatmusic and 10 others like this.
  21. footlooseman

footlooseman Forum Resident

25.49 delivered from deepdiscount.com

22. tootull

Life's no bowl of cherries it's a black and white strip cartoon. - Ian Anderson

Strip Cartoon 5.1 is a highlight for me...can't play this one enough.

Larry Geller, Plan9 and SEnglish like this.
  23. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I think many who don't like this album much so far will learn to like it with this new version.

The re-recorded album is better, more down to earth than the released version and the mix from SW is simply stunning.

The Bonus tracks are top notch. I did not think that I would love Salamanders Ragtime THAT much. Its great and its with Maddy

Glen Leat and tootull like this.
  24. The Hud

The Hud Breath of the Kingdom, Tears of the Wild

My copy is supposed to arrive tomorrow, very excited!

25. Daniel Falaschi

While I wait for mine, I sense another sensational JTreissue set is on the way. Is there any other comprehensive reissue program that is soooo well done????
    By the way, congrats Plan9 and Tootull for the job!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.