Jethro Tull Too Old To Rock and Roll too young to Die! deluxe 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

+2

CHEERS!

2. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I haven't done a close comparison between the two versions, but you're not the first one to express that idea here!

3. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

No one has commented on the great version of small cigar. It might be Tulls best from 76 now. A fair bit stronger than the acoustic version

Kim Olesen likes this.
  4. Kim Olesen

Kim Olesen Gently weeping guitarist.

I really like the early Quizz Kid.

5. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

Ah, copy that! :)

6. Yep...it's a corker! But for my money nothing beats "The Chequered Flag" for Tull '76.

7. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

If I don't receive my copy by tomorrow, chances are I'll likely have mine around that time. The 15th, when I return home after 8 days at work out of town as I fly back out on Monday, and then two more days for STAR WARS! :D

8. tonewheeltom

tonewheeltom Forum Resident

I've had this for a couple days, I've only flipped through the book so far.

I'd just like to say that I'm glad I live in a world where there's a four-disc deluxe edition of this album!

mozz, Glen Leat, tootull and 4 others like this.
  9. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Flag is one of my faves. I love strip cartoon too

tootull likes this.
  10. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

Got my set last night.If the stuff in the CDs is as good as the book, then we´re done.

rstamberg, tootull and Rne like this.
  11. BwanaBob

BwanaBob Forum Resident

It was sheer joy to finally watch the TV special in proper resolution with stereo sound. I love that even though it's a mime performance, Barrie Barlow really nails his drum fills. You'd swear he remembered every single beat.

tootull likes this.
  12. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Probably I'm the only one WHO thinks... that's a weak album. But the set is impressive.

13. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

No, you're not the only one. I think it's kind of weak too (at least when compared to any of the band's previous albums), but this set, which is indeed impressive, has given me a new perspective and made me feel more interested in it.

tootull and Rigsby like this.
  14. jon9091

jon9091 Master Of Reality

I have not heard this reissue but have recently been playing it a bit. It's much, much better than I had myself convinced it was. I think the weakest thing on here is probably the title track. Hoping there is a vinyl reissue.

tootull likes this.
  15. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

Quiz Kid, Crazed Institution, Salamander & Strip Cartoon are the only tracks that interest me.

16. Kim Olesen

For me, all of side one and then Big Dipper too. Then the album peters out to a weak end imo.

Having heard it a couple of times now i think the rerecording is way above the original both in sound quality and performance.

tootull and mmars982 like this.
  17. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

This new release has convinced me... that this is a pretty weak album by mid-7os Tull standards. Ian's commentary in the booklet largely confirms what I hear on record -- he and the band were struggling with next steps and were never fully invested in this material. Thankfully, they fully hit their stride with the next record.

jsayers, Geir, tootull and 1 other person like this.
  18. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Mine arrived from Burning Shed last night.

19. rstamberg

rstamberg Senior Member

Oh, but the title track alone is worth it all.

Olias of Sunhill likes this.
  20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

That's encouraging because Steven has struggled to make the TV Special (16 tracks recording) sound as good as the studio album (24 tracks). It was a drier, less hifi re-recording.

tootull and makedatmusic like this.
  21. Kim Olesen

He succeeded. Specially the drums sounds much better.

tootull likes this.
  22. FVDnz

FVDnz Forum Resident

I see this is available at HDTracks too. Pity I'll have to hold off and simply wait for the hardbook set to arrive. Samples sound great though - hopefully tomorrow otherwise another lengthy wait. :(

23. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

The new version of small cigar and commercial traveller are better than all except strip cartoon :D

24. I really like this album and always have since I first heard it in '79. It just had the misfortune of being sandwiched between two stronger albums. The sound quality of the recordings is really stunning (same studio as Minstrel in The Gallery and it shows) and Ian's voice is at it's peak IMO.

25. DPM

DPM Senior Member

Personally, I like the sound of Tull's albums that were recorded at Morgan Studio (London). They sound fatter with more snap. If this is less hifi then I say great. Barre's guitar especially sounds so much better on the TV Special mix then on the original Too Old To Rock And Roll… recordings. It has a perfect combination of body and bite.

Six Bachelors likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.