Jethro Tull Too Old To Rock and Roll too young to Die! deluxe 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

I can't really bring myself to hate this album. The good songs are good. The worst I can say is "meh" about the weaker moments.

It was a much more uphill struggle to like A Passion Play, personally... :hide:

pinkchris1967 likes this.
  2. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

I never liked it much either. But the 4 extra tracks are the best songs on the box and you can make a fine album using the best 10 tracks

Keith V and jsayers like this.
  3. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

I feel the same about A Passion Play, and I DID buy the Wilson remix for that one. Probably won't get many plays here. :sigh:

Runicen likes this.
  4. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Took me a while too. Can't stop listening to side 2 now though after the Hare track. 20 minutes of quality which can match TAAB side 1 now. That extra minute they added to The foot of our stairs is awesome. I really love what Steve did to Left right and Audition. They are now as good as any classic Tull song.

yesstiles, Geir, tootull and 2 others like this.
  5. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I agree. For a long time it was the Tull album i liked the least, but these days i listen to it even more of than Thick as a Brick. Anyway, i think the songs that were recorded during that period, but were not on the album are my favourites: A Small Cigar and Strip Cartoon. Salamander's Ragtime is pretty good too! Tull made some killer out-takes, that's for sure.

Bonddm and footlooseman like this.
  6. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

Commercial traveller too. They're the songs I'd expect on a Tull album. But this was a soundtrack. The only tullish songs on the album are pied piper, chequered flag, salamander and old greaser

7. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

My problem is a tendency to tune out while listening to it. I do really want to make an effort with it though. It's like the brusque uncle who lived a really interesting life but who was immensely unapproachable. :laugh:

I will say that, sonically, it's a huge upgrade with the Steven Wilson fairy dust sprinkled on it. Same as how he rehabilitated Lizard by King Crimson for me.

ParloFax likes this.
  8. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

I remember that A Passion Play required many listens before i liked it, whereas other Tull albums grabbed me immediatly. Even Thick as a Brick was far more straightforward rock music to my ears than APP, which is more hard-core prog rock. But it paid off.

soundQman, David Bostock and Runicen like this.
  9. TheFatChocobo

TheFatChocobo Forum Resident

What the ... !!!

The version of the album on Disc 1 is brilliant!

Sordel likes this.
  10. jsayers

jsayers Just Drifting....

Which album? We now have Passion Play and Thick As A Brick in the discussion....

11. TheFatChocobo

TheFatChocobo Forum Resident

As in the topic title. Sorry, in the flow of those particular posts, that wasn't quite clear.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2016
    jsayers likes this.
  12. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

Looks like the LP for this release on 180 gram vinyl is coming out on Record Store Day

tootull and jon9091 like this.
  13. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Help! Is there a single disc Cd of this album from SW's mixes? I see one listed on Amazon but it claims to be two discs. If there is, is it the flat transfer original mix or Steve's remixes from the TV show?

Bottom line, I have the 2002 remaster--is there a better sounding version of the original mix on a single CD? I may spring for the box set sometime but $ is tight right now. Big fan of the album.

Keith V likes this.
  14. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It's a single CD and it contains only the SW remixes from the TV special and the 5 original album tracks that could be remixed > Jethro Tull »

I don't find the 2002 remaster of the original mix awful, and it has bonus tracks. The best I have heard this album sound is probably either on original vinyl or on the 80s CD with cat. # CCD1111 (it needs de-emphasis, though).

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
    pdenny likes this.
  15. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I think the flat transfer on the box is very good. I like it better than the remaster. That is too trebbly for me.
    The remix of course is stunning.

tootull likes this.
  16. pdenny

Thanks guys! I'll grab the single disc then. The 2002 isn't horrible but it will be fun to compare the mixes.

17. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

Hi,
    you are aware that this is not simply a remix but a complete different recording ?

18. tootull

tootull Looking through a glass onion

https://s3.amazonaws.com/recordstoreday/2016/2016_RSD_PUBLIC.pdf
    Jethro Tull
    Too Old To Rock 'n' Roll: Too Young to Die!
    Rhino/Parlophone
    LP
    3000 available
    Jethro Tull »
    RECORD STORE DAY - SpecialRelease »

This Record Store Day release captures a live concert initially recorded for a British TV show in 1975, pressed on black 180 gram vinyl.
    Side 1
    1. Prelude
    2. Quiz Kid
    3. Crazed Institution
    4. Salamander
    5. Taxi Grab
    6. From a Dead Beat to an Old Greaser
    Side 2
    1. Bad-Eyed and Loveless
    2. Big Dipper
    3. Too Old to Rock N Roll: Too Young to Die!
    4. Pied Piper
    5. The Chequered Flag (Dead or Alive)

jon9091 likes this.
  19. pdenny

Guys--I've just spent half an hour scouring Amazon for the single-disc 2015 TOFRR with no luck. For that matter I can't find the single-disc MINSTREL remix CD either. If anyone ordered it/them on Amazon (or anywhere else for that matter) please post a direct link if you can. Thanks.

20. Olias of Sunhill

Olias of Sunhill Forum Resident

Always pre-order my Tull thru Burning Shed. Bull Moose will be cheaper w/free shipping if you get to $25.

Jethro Tull »
    Jethro Tull - Too Old to Rock 'N' Roll: Too Young To Die »

21. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

Not their most exciting album musically maybe but I do enjoy it. The closest Jethro Tull perhaps came to make a straight rock album.

22. pdenny

23. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

For those of you (like me) who have been wondering about a vinyl release of this, I see there is one planned for Record Store Day 2016.
    They are also releasing A Classic Case on vinyl too.

24. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

youdon't read the thread before you post huh? not even a few posts before yours?

25. keiron99

keiron99 Forum Resident

Oh for the love of God!! And I've been following this thread like a hawk! :oops:

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.