Jethro Tull Too Old To Rock and Roll too young to Die! deluxe 2016

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Daniel Falaschi, May 7, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. ^ What are these elements, please? The strings, for instance?

BTW I just got the single CD version and started getting into it. Absolutely love the sound of the re-recording so far! Terrific experience!

I wanted to ask those of you who have seen both, is the content of the deluxe book more elaborate than the single CD's booklet? Is it, say, as varied and elaborate as the book from "Minstrel in the Gallery"? Does Matin Barre speak at all? He is totally "mute" in the essay from the CD booklet, as if he wasn't taking any part in the projects any longer (as a result of his falling out with IA perhaps)...

I have one quibble about the books I have read so far (TaaB, aPP, MitG and TOtR&R) is that, even though they're a fantastic read on several different topics, they're a bit lean on discussing the actual music, especially the last three from that list.

2. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

I don't know what he meant with "elements of the album"... they re-recorded it., nothing more, nothing less....

Kim Olesen likes this.
  3. yesstiles

yesstiles Senior Member

I think the books are all great, but ya, Ian discusses the songs it seems only in light of their lyrical content, which is hardly as important as the great music.

ParloFax likes this.
  4. Even the string arrangements?

5. murrays

murrays Forum Resident

The book doesn't specifically say. It says they had to "re-record the entire album" and that it was done over two days (26 and 28 March) in Morgan Studios.
    I Haven't seen the single CD or its booklet. The book edition has 80 pages, each of which is nearly twice as big as a CD booklet page. This particular book does not seem to have any interview of Martin, or much at all from the other band members (apart from Ian, that is). Ian always likes to spin a long story and the undercurrent between the lines reveals that it was pretty much "his show" by this time. There is, however, a good background article on John Glascock (and his orginal band, Carmen) who I didn't know much about before.

ParloFax likes this.
  6. agentalbert

agentalbert Senior Member

Listened to the quad mix tonight. It's really heavy in the rear channels, to the point it almost seems like the front and rear have been swapped. Is it supposed to be this way? Nearly everything comes from the rear speakers and there is just ambience coming from my front speakers. Didn't like it at all.

7. Stan94

Stan94 Senior Member

I bought a copy of the RSD vinyl earlier today, the record is flat and the booklet is very informative and well done.

8. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

I agree it is really nice....

9. Mirsset

Mirsset Forum Resident

Nope. They are one of those elements reused from original album :) Along with some backing vocals, and other stuff.

ParloFax likes this.
  10. folkfreak

folkfreak The cold blooded penguin

did you attend the session ?

11. Daniel Falaschi

Daniel Falaschi Live detective Thread Starter

12. street legal

street legal Senior Member

I've been on the fence with this since it's been released, as it is definitely one of the weakest Jethro Tull albums from their "classic" era, in my opinion.

But my decision was made easier by an EBay listing that I spotted yesterday, and I was able to pick up a supposedly "like new" copy a few hours ago for only $17 including shipping. I suppose it will be worth that price for the extras and booklet/packaging alone.

13. Runicen

Runicen Forum Resident

Dude, even for a "lesser" album in the canon, that price is a steal and you'll find $17 of content that you like in the mountain of music it offers. Congrats!

14. Rne

Rne weltschmerz

I'm not a big fan of that album, but this re-issue is so carefully done that I started to appreciate it more.

Runicen, Galeans, Plan9 and 1 other person like this.
  15. driverdrummer

driverdrummer Forum Resident

How is the sound quality of the flat transfer?

16. Daniel Falaschi

The original mix sounds....flat! compared to the TV special remix. No comparison at all IMO.

driverdrummer likes this.
  17. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Agree, it sounds a bit too flat for me as well. I prefer one of the CD pressings from the 80s.

18. PROGGER

PROGGER Forum Resident

The songs of which the original tapes were found sound a lot better remixed eg. Old Greaser. The songs of which the original tapes that weren't found sound flat though eg. Pied Piper

19. pdenny

pdenny 22-Year SHTV Participation Trophy Recipient

Still loving this set to death. I never warmed up to MINSTREL and TOO OLD was, for me, a continuation of the WAR CHILD ethic: just a good set of catchy, hooky songs. Criminal :angel:

20. jedstar

jedstar Well-Known Member

ya
    MINSTERL did nothing for me either.
    It was like Martin forgot to play and write
    some inventive guitar....
    he plays mostly cheesy, cliches.
    And Ian's warbly singing was too much
    (during the acoustic stuff)

It all seemed like a "step back" into
    cheese rock for Tull I'm afraid.

21. JAG

JAG Forum Professor with Tenure

:laughup:.........wow

M321115, showtaper, tootull and 3 others like this.
  22. Carserguev

Carserguev Forum Resident

:bigeek:

M321115, showtaper and ParloFax like this.
  23. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Well, death to False Cheese Rock, then!

In my opinion Minstrel is one of their best albums ever. And i like Ian's vocals and singer-songwriter approach on this one at lot.

24. j4yheindeo

j4yheindeo Forum Resident

Death to False Cheese Rock ~!~

LOL ... heh heh ... good one Doctor ... :righton:

25. Daniel Falaschi

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.