Jethro Tull's Thick As A Brick Stereo/5.1 remix will be released on October 15th.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Pockets17red, Jul 3, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Yes.

The remix on vinyl sounds excellent, though (different mastering).

Last edited: Nov 17, 2013
  2. Bronth

Bronth Active Member

I see that the European set seems to be out-of-stock everywhere (Amazon, Fishpond, etc.), while the US version is still available from Amazon Marketplace. I really doubt it's OOP - the situation looks similar to that with the complete Roxy Music box set (the first run sold out fast, then there was a 2-month "scalper's paradise", and then, voila, the second run was pressed, and the prices dropped) or the Kinks BBC set (the initial statement of "only 1 run - when it's gone, it's gone", which contradicts with the current wide availability). Moreover, I hope so - since I still haven't bought it. :laugh:

3. tootull

tootull I tried to catch my eye but I looked the other way

With TAAB 4oth - Too damn real, the only mix that is completely right is the 5.1 mix with no mastering. All stereo mixes are still missing the final yeah.

4. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Amazon are clueless about what they are selling.

I emailed Amazon.com to confirm they were selling the corrected version and this was their reply:

"I understand that you want to know the information for "Thick As a Brick, 40th Anniversary Special Edition" contains the corrected DVD.

I've checked our records and can confirm that the Item: Thick As a Brick, 40th Anniversary Special Edition is an Audio CD. The number of Discs are 2.

This item is available in CD format but not in DVD format. Please be assured that all the items shipped and sold by Amazon are brand new and has no defects."

5. ...Either clueless or they simply go by the rule:

no recall campaign = no acknowledging that one actually sells a potentially defective product...

6. If you get the first print disk through Amazon (like I did at release time) you can still get a replacement without going through Amazon. I know that is a pain if it comes to that, but at least you will get it settled. It took me two trys. The first replacement disk was defective and mostly unplayable, but the 2nd repplacement was the fixed version that played fine.

7. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Well I purchased the one that had the listing that said "2013"

It has arrived and the DVD has the line under 'album duration' so I presume it is the correct one (haven't had time to play and listen yet)

But if I have got the right one it's certainly not thanks to Amazon's info!

ParloFax likes this.
  8. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

It is the right one.

9. Moonchild

Moonchild Forum Resident

I'll definitely pass on this one. Once bitten, twice shy

10. dead of night

dead of night Senior Member

I'm a little confused about the forum reaction to this new remix of Thick As A Brick. Only 12 pages? And only from page 10 forward has this package been released! So there are only three pages after this remix has been released?

Is there another thread? If not, how is the sound quality of this Steven Wilson remix and remaster on the CD? Why so few comments?

11. SimplyOrange

SimplyOrange Forum Resident

I'm still confused about this set almost a year after I bought it from Burning Shed. They sent me a replacement DVD too, but I don't even know the issue! Something to do with glitches, or Peter Mew over compressing it...hell I don't know. I'd also like somebody to fill me in. I'm completely confused.

12. dead of night

I agree. I have been reading this thread and there have been several mentions about getting a replacement disc, but there was not a specific mention about what the original defect was, to the best of my knowledge.

Does the CD have a defect too? What is the defect? Have all CD's been corrected, or are they still defective? How is the remix? How is the remastering?

The thread about the Steven Wilson remix of Benefit was very informative. Why is this one so sparse?

13. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

14. jhw59

jhw59 Forum Resident

I really enjoy the 5.1 corrected mix and recommend it. Well done, Steve Wilson!

rstamberg likes this.
  15. bobcat

bobcat Forum Resident

Was a corrected Aqualung blu-ray ever made available?

16. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

No

17. tlake6659

tlake6659 Senior Member

The mix isn't bad but Peter Mew mastered it too brightly and it is somewhat compressed. The set is only worth it for the surround mix IMO.

dead of night and ponkine like this.
  18. dead of night

I would like to apologize to the forum. I did not realize another thread existed about this release until Lonson linked it for me. I have read that entire thread and understand the situation regarding this Steven Wilson remix.

Nonetheless, thank you tlake6659, for the information you have provided even though I missed the other thread.

19. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Not much talk about the 5.1 mix at all.

Those other threads linked above do not go into the quality of the mix in any detail. It's all about prices, shipping. And replacement discs.

Does anyone care to talk about this 5.1 mix? I personally like it. Side two program of the piece is particularly involving in a way the stereo wasn't for me.

20. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

This 5.1 mix didn't change my vision of the album like some other SW remixes did; it feels more conservative than other surround mixes but I love it.
    And for the first time side two is at the right speed!

21. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Over-all clarity is gained which makes everything more fun. I still hear certain parts in the mix that have not gained clarity as if they'd been bounced from other tracks onto the multis some time back.

But it's great fun. I thought I heard an alternate lead vocal part in there. But I should let the Tull experts chime in on that if they care to. Where are those experts by they way?

22. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

Do you think that the lack of comments is due to the defective disc issue?

Or is it that the audience for a 40 year old rock album mixed in 5.1 is really shrinking and dying off now?

I think of TAAB as a major album from the 70s. But I can imagine to others it might be their parents old music, old fogies tunes from the past.

23. Plan9

Plan9 Mastering Engineer

Nah, I think the lack of interest is mainly due to these forums (fori?) being focused on stereo, original mixes. What's more, these Tull 5.1 remixes (except Aqualung) are unfortunately only officially available in lossy (Dolby or DTS) form, which is frowned upon here.
    The defective disc certainly didn't help.

Prog Rock seems to enjoy a resurgence lately.

24. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

25. Edgard Varese

Edgard Varese Royale with Cheese

Got the CD/DVD set and it was the defective DVD. :(

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.