Jico SAS for m97xe cart

Discussion in 'Audio Hardware' started by MikeJedi, Mar 19, 2021.

1. MikeJedi

MikeJedi Forum Resident Thread Starter

Thinking of getting one for my cart.. the old tip is basically done. I wish to potentially use it as a alternative cart to my Denon 110 on my one Technics MK5 and my upcoming Dynavector 10x5 mkii on my other Technics GR. Anyone know what the sound is comparable to and if it will be not too bad to install or maintain ? I thought I read somewhere it was close to a V15mxr type 5 But can’t remember , thanks peeps ;)
    JICO NEOSAS/R REPLACEMENT SHURE N97XE STYLUS

Mike

Daniel Thomas likes this.
  2. macster

macster Forum Resident

It's much better than the stock stylus and you'll love it.

M~

kt66brooklyn, johnny q and MikeJedi like this.
  3. Thorensman

Thorensman Forum Resident

Have not tried one,but run a V15 mk3
    And the M97XE.
    But there was a thread a while back

The general consensus was that as good as the stock stylus is ( and very good it indeed is) when it comes up to replacement the Jico SAS turns it into a killer cartridge .
    The V15 mk3 with Jico was better, but
    I have learnt to judge for myself on these matters
    I did fit a standard Jico stylus on my V15
    Mk3 and it was excellent.
    No sibilance, it was sweet tone wise.
    So I intend to go the SAS route when my current stylus is due for renewal.
    The M95 XE is a fine cartridge.

Aftermath likes this.
  4. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I have the Jico stylus on a m97xe and it is fantastic. I like it much better than my 2M black. I am going to say that it is the best MM that I have heard.

BrentB likes this.
  5. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

6. MikeJedi

7. 5-String

5-String μηδὲν ἄγαν

I did not know that the old SAS is not available any more. I purchased mine a year ago.
    It looks like now the Neo SAS is the alternative. It will definitely be comparable and I am sure that it will be a nice upgrade from the stock N97xE but unfortunately I have no experience with it so I cannot really tell.
    The ruby cantilever is certainly a nice feature, my Ortofon Cadenza Blue has a ruby cantilever and it sounds great.
    I would go for it. I have a lot of respect for Jico.

Aftermath and MikeJedi like this.
  8. Wayne Nielson

Wayne Nielson Forum Resident

I had received a Shure M95He with a turntable that was given to me. It sat in a drawer for a couple of years. One day I discovered the Jico SAS M95HE stylus and bought 2 of them. This tag team is now in my Empire 598 turntable. It is without a doubt, the best cartridge/stylus this table has ever been paired with. Dynamic, fast and detailed. No hint of IGD.

MikeJedi and macster like this.
  9. ejman

ejman Music, fountain of life!

I like the LP gear Vivid line upgrade for my Shure M97XE. I think it's a significant upgrade over the standard elliptical that came with the cartridge. No opinion on the SAS for the M97XE as I've never heard one but I do own a Jico SAS for my M91ED and its a fine stylus but a bit more expensive than the Vivid line stylus.

10. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I have a Shure V15V-MR, as well as a ShureV15V-MR/SAS. I cannot distinguish one from the other in any manner that divergence could be discerned. I also have a stock M97xE and it pretty much is on par to the V15V's. This makes me think an M97xE/SAS would deliver all that's in the groove to get. I would suggest buying direct from JICO. Last time I looked they had restocked the Boron coated SAS for the V15V and the M97xE. Now here's a sidebar. I just purchased an A-T VM540ML for grins and giggles and I got grins and giggles in spades, a complete cart for only $250, which also sounds on par to my V15V's, black as coal backgrounds and low volume detail galore.

macster and MikeJedi like this.
  11. macster

macster Forum Resident

I had a Vivid line and it was pretty darn good, not as good as the SAS, but what you don't know won't hurt your pocket book.

M~

ejman and MikeJedi like this.
  12. Just Walking

Just Walking Forum Resident

I bought a V15IV with known broken cantilever, and bought a Jico to resurrect it. Just the standard one, not one of the fancy SAS etc versions.

Stunning replica, right down to the damped hinge and carbon fiber brush. Shows what killer cartridges the V15 range actually were.

Wngnt90 and Aftermath like this.
  13. MikeJedi

Still considering the

JICO NEOSAS/R REPLACEMENT SHURE N97XE STYLUS

for my M97xe

just purchased a SL1200G to go with my Yammie AS2200 with MM and MC settings . Klipsch RB5 pair

I wonder if the Shure /SAS combo would be a good enough for the SL1200G. I suspect it might :)

Sterling1 likes this.
  14. Sterling1

Sterling1 Forum Resident

I run a V15V-MR, as well as a V15V/Boron SAS on my SL-1210GR. They're awesome; but, I get virtually identical results with the A-T VM540ML. It was only $250.

macster and MikeJedi like this.
  15. macster

macster Forum Resident

Probably should be if the Sl1200G is good enough for the Shure /SAS combo.

M~

MikeJedi likes this.
  16. MikeJedi

I am thinking about the AT760SLC and I suppose the AT VM 540ML too. Just worried about the brightness of the AT carts. I remember the AT440mla was unbearable for me. I would imagine the Shure SAS will be a little bit bright too but not like the AT and the M97xe will retain the Shure sound as well. Maybe the newer ATs aren’t as bright I don’t think.

Sterling1 likes this.
  17. macster

macster Forum Resident

Agreed, it's the same in my system so far. I'm tweaking some things so it may change in the future. It's a really great sounding cost effective cartridge.

M~

Sterling1 and MikeJedi like this.
  18. macster

macster Forum Resident

Just make sure that the total capacitance in your system in not above 2oopf, if memory serves me right. Actually, you may not even hear the difference if it is. I'll need to verify that though.

M~

MikeJedi likes this.
  19. MikeJedi

Ya
    Yamaha AS2200 is quoted at 100pf. Not sure what the Technics SL1200G imparts and the Technics supplied RCA cables.

20. macster

macster Forum Resident

Go for it. You can google it or someone will be along to point out your mistake for buying it.

lol

M~

MikeJedi likes this.
  21. MikeJedi

22. ssmith3046

ssmith3046 Forum Resident

I used a Jico boron SAS several years ago in one of my V-15 III carts. Really digs out the detail in the music from the groove. I ended up liking the Jico hyper elliptical better though.

Sterling1 likes this.
  23. MikeJedi

24. MikeJedi

Oh I see it’s a Ruby cantilever. :)

25. Gibsonian

Gibsonian Forum Resident

Yes, and replacement stylus 210 to 230 bucks. Same situation.