Jim Hall, Hampton Hawes "ALL NIGHT SESSION!" OJC CD's. Wonderful, cheap!

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Steve Hoffman, Dec 14, 2011.

1. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

Bump. Perhaps someone knows what's up with the issue in the post above?

[or maybe I need to start a new thread]

--Geoff

2. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

HiredGoon,

I too ordered this title from amazon a while ago, and it is a CD-R even though they didn't mention it (unfortunately, it was for a friend who didn't let me know soon enough for a return).

It was the first time I received a CD-R from them without the CD-R "On Demand" disclaimer on the product page...

3. chewy

chewy Forum Resident

one that ive really noticed this on, re good acoutic jazz sound on compact disc format on OJC discs......: Brubeck a la Mode...aboustely incredible transfer, sounds -amazing-.

4. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

Thanks for the info.

I'm wondering if this a CD-R manufactured by Amazon or if it was supplied to them that way. If I order a copy from somewhere else then will I also get a CD-R?

Maybe I should get that 2CD version that has all three Hampton Hawes albums on it. Not sure of its provenance, however. It's probably a public domain knock-off.

--Geoff

5. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

Chatting with Amazon customer service, they mention that availability is low and they do not manufacture the CD-R themselves. That is how they get it from their supplier. So I'm going to assume that getting a "new" copy of All Night Session Vol 1 from other sources (CD universe, Ebay, etc) will probably be a CD-R also.

Just a warning for others thinking of getting this CD.

--Geoff

6. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

The VDJ is very hard to find, too.

7. JA Fant

JA Fant Well-Known Member

Great pics + reviews guys!
    Steve, I am really enjoying your series of CD review(s) threads here!

8. Campbell Saddler

Campbell Saddler Used Bin Explorer

Thank you for the warning, HiredGoon: I will search for a used copy of Volume 1 in light of this information.

9. Ellsworth

Ellsworth Forum Resident

I picked up a used copy of Vol 1 off of Amazon last week. The sound is fabulous. Hampton's Pulpit is really a treat. If you like this, the 4 CD box The Contemporary Records Story will also be up your alley. I am making my way through it and finding a lot of great stuff that will be a jumping off point into some other older Contemporary recordings.

10. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

Yes, this happened to me recently, too: I ordered a Sony Classical CD of Rudolf Serkin playing Schubert, and received a CD-R with a cheap-looking reproduction of the original cover and no booklet notes (just basic track information).

I didn't return it, but I was definitely not pleased. Hope this doesn't become an epidemic issue.

11. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I was in Stereo Jack's today and I noticed that he had all 3 Hampton Hawes "All Night Sessions" on 70s era Contemporary LPs for $2.99 each. Needless to say, I grabbed all 3. :) Nice stuff. I'm mostly through volume 1 right now, I almost think I like Jim Hall more than Hawes but then again, I've seen him live several times so that might be subliminally influencing me. :)

12. wcarroll

wcarroll Senior Member

My volume 2 and volume 3 came in. More great stuff! Particulary like "I Should Care" from volume 2 for some reason... Volume 3 --- well, I think the guys were getting a bit tired for Volume 3. But, great to have the whole set!

13. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

I'm listening the VDJ box. It is mixed absolutely dead.

BTW, the tunes from vol.2 show heavy influence from Bud Powell.

14. Tom Campbell

Tom Campbell Forum Resident

When you say "mixed dead" do you mean dry (no added reverb)? Just curious.

15. yasujiro

yasujiro Senior Member

Yes. No reverb is added.

16. HiredGoon

HiredGoon Forum Resident

G'day,

An update: I returned my CD-R copy of Vol. 1 to Amazon, and ordered another Vol. 1 from a reseller. I did email them first to confirm that they had an original rather than a CD-R. Luckily that is what I received. I've ripped both, but haven't compared 'em yet, so no idea if the CD-R is different sonically.

I also got Vol. 3 ... nice!

--Geoff

17. action pact

action pact Music Omnivore

%&(%*#%^&!!!!!!
    I bought the exact same pressings of those LPs at Stereo Jack's a month or two ago for $4.99/ea!!! (Still a great deal for $15 total, so I'm not really complaining.)

18. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Excellent sound indeed!

19. bresna

bresna Senior Member

He's got more in the bin at $2.99 if you have any friends looking for a copy. :)

20. action pact

They make great gifts! :D

How do they score all that great vinyl so consistently? I love that store.

21. bresna

bresna Senior Member

I just wish that they didn't sell all the really good stuff on eBay. The only time I see rarities on the shelf is when he gets a huge collection and he can't post them all on eBay.

22. action pact

I wasn't aware that they did eBay. Their collectibles are usually too expensive for me anyway, so I don't mind. I get a lot of stuff from their dollar bins! The last time I was in there they had 3-4 copies of "Art Farmer Live At Boomer's" in the dollar bin. That's a really great LP!!

23. bresna

bresna Senior Member

http://www.ebay.com/sch/stereojacks/m.html?_adv=1&_dmd=1&_in_kw=1&_ipg=50&_sop=1&_rdc=1.

I imagine anyone who wants to buy these Hampton Hawes LPs could contact them via their eBay page or via their website (http://www.stereojacks.com/) and order them. He ships.

24. moops

moops Senior Member

Received my copy of Vol 1 today, from Amazon Marketplace seller Blow It Outta Here - it's a CD-R copy as previously pictured. So don't order from them either. It's quite a well produced copy, but something irks me about paying good money for a CD-R. :shake:

25. tone ded freb

tone ded freb Senior Member

So, are the CD-R and original pressing bit-identical or not? I'm curious because I just realized mine is the CD-R and it's too late to return it. :righton: