Jim Jarmusch Fans: "Dead Man" question

Discussion in 'Visual Arts' started by teaser5, Sep 15, 2003.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

I watched the Johnny Depp film "Dead Man" the other night. It was pretty interesting. Anyway I know there are some fans of director Jim Jarmusch here and I thought one of you guys could answer a question for me.

One of the guys Depp's character kills in the film is named Benmont Tench. That of course is also the name of Tom Petty's keyboard player.
    Is this just director Jim Jarmusch having some fun or what?
    I liked Iggy Pop's small part in the film and Neil Youngs guitar fill soundtrack too.

Thanks-
    Norm

2. FredCamp

FredCamp Senior Member

Hey Norm,

Your question is one that I've heard asked a lot since DEAD MAN'S release. All of the info I have, which is shakey (to say the least) is that Jarmusch was just having a laugh.

3. James RD

James RD Senior Member

:laugh: You know, of course, that "Shakey" (AKA Neil Young) is responsible for the very strange score for this film.

4. Claviusb

Claviusb A Serious Man

From the internet movie database:

Billy Bob Thornton's character's name is Big George Drakoulious. George Drakoulious is a musician and has produced music for the Black Crowes and Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers. Jared Harris's character is named Benmont Tench. Benmont Tench is a member of Tom Petty and the Heartbreakers.

5. teaser5

teaser5 Cool Rockin' Daddy Thread Starter

Good catch guys-
    Thanks
    Best,
    Norm

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.