Jim Morrison (The Doors) - where does he stand lyrically?

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by RoughAndRowdyWays, May 8, 2021.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I disagree with that... An astute businessman wouldn't say "We split everything 4 ways and credit to The Doors" for a guy who wrote almost every song. Lyrics and melody (so he'd remember).. Are you not aware that Jim flipped out and felt betrayed because the other three Doors were going to sell-out so "Come on Buick, light my fire"?

Jim didn't even have a house. He lived mostly in a seedy motel.

Uuan, somebodynothing1000 and D-rock like this.
  2. Platterpus

Platterpus Senior Member

Jim was a great vocalist that suited The Doors music, kind of like Sean Bonniwell of The Music Machine. Two of my favorite baritone vocalists from that time.

Crimson Witch and D-rock like this.
  3. Michael

Michael I LOVE WIDE S-T-E-R-E-O!

He was the Doors...I was a huge fan. I have no negativity to report.

D-rock likes this.
  4. Militant Dandy

Militant Dandy Forum Resident

I think this gets it pretty close. Morrison himself said that true poetry doesn't really say anything, it just ticks off the possibilities. That isn't to say that his lyrics were meaningless but that he was exceptionally open to experimentation and trying for new images and phrasing. To me he's one of the all-time greatest lyricists backed by a group of stellar musicians who could take his words, which often seem totally non-musical on paper, and make such evocative music.

It's been a long time since I've read any of his poetry but I did enjoy it when I was younger. I have picked up some of his poetry books in the years since, flipped through, and randomly read some lines before giving a wincing "oof!", though. But his lyrics have stayed with me and are some of the best ever.

5. somebodynothing1000

somebodynothing1000 Forum Resident

hugely disagree. they all complemented each other.

yes, after jim died, the 2 records they made werent succesful and they knew it was over but Jim's book of poetry at the time wasnt that well received either. and lets not forget the time in europe when he missed a concert, forcing the rest of them to play as a trio and still got a great response from the crowd.

Last edited: May 13, 2021
    Michael likes this.
  6. Michael

they were not the Doors without Jim...that's how I feel and I can dig your opinion as well...I just don't see it. ; )

rkt88 likes this.
  7. Cool hand luke

Cool hand luke There you go man, keep as cool as you can

And Jim wasn't The Doors without them :righton:

rkt88 and Michael like this.
  8. Michael

uh huh...well he needed back up.

9. Sanctuary

Sanctuary Forum Resident

Jim Morrison was a spectacular lyricist in a dark quasi- mystical sense. Vivid imagery full of horses, killers , blue buses, bathrooms, snakes, and lizards. Not everyone wants acid illuminated Indian visions though so if that’s the case Jim’s not your guy. Jim never was the singer for the common man or universal themes, his lyrics play coy with displaying real emotion. I like his lyrics for what they are often vivid and brilliantly imaginative and sometimes puerile and pretentious .He stands among the best but is not the best, and that’s not a bad place to be for a guy who lived a short life.

10. ironbutterfly

ironbutterfly Listening to marky mark in mono

I would rank him much higher than i would a Billy Ocean

jimmydean, Matthew Tate and rod like this.
  11. somebodynothing1000

somebodynothing1000 Forum Resident

to be fair, he also seems to be the main reason why, on these times, certain people seem to dislike the doors. so, if were going to say that HE was the doors, it can go either way, positive or negative.

speedracer and Michael like this.
  12. Michael

I see your point. : )

Matthew Tate likes this.
  13. rkt88

rkt88 The unknown soldier

as relates the doors and vis a vis morrison.

he was in the main.

14. speedracer

speedracer Forum Resident

He always rocked the boat.

15. NettleBed

NettleBed Forum Transient

I think he had more ability than most, but more songs with bad lyrics than most.

16. MortSahlFan

MortSahlFan Forum Resident

I must say how much I love Jim saying "I'm proud to be a part of this number" on the song, "The Soft Parade"

Zack and Many Clouds like this.
  17. renounce

renounce Well-Known Member

Agreed. I always feel the first 3 albums were his LSD albums and the last 3 were his alcohol albums. They both have their merits but the LSD ones certainly contain better poetry imho; full of exploration, curiosity, darkness and light, and the ecstasy and wonder of being young and on fire in LA in 1965-7. The alcohol ones are cruder, baser and far less sophisticated, but still have that kind of indefinable Morrison potency.

Last edited: Jun 17, 2021
  18. No Bull

No Bull Forum Resident

Anyone can be a poet. Just write a poem.
    Was Morrison a good poet? I say yes. Others say no. Poetry is probably even more subjective than music.

I do know one thing…. This would probably be Morrison’s favorite thread on Steve Hoffman forums.

joy stinson, Soundslave and D-rock like this.
  19. Many Clouds

Many Clouds Forum Resident

I thought he was bloody great. Lyrically he held my interest for sure . This one always makes me smile ....

You favor life
    He sides with Death
    I straddle the fence
    And my balls hurt

joy stinson and D-rock like this.
  20. joy stinson

joy stinson Secret friend

Amen on all counts…However, he’s vastly underrated compared to others called great lyricists now.

21. joy stinson

He lived into the extreme…

22. joy stinson

I wore out an American prayer album when was much, much younger….

23. joy stinson

I never thought of comparing him to Jon Anderson’s lyrics but they are similar in a way.

Jamsterdammer likes this.
  24. WhoDoYouLove666

WhoDoYouLove666 New Member

The Doors were my first real rock band. This 8th grader couldn't get enough of the Doors. Hell yeah he's a poet.
    Is he WallaceStevens? Or KenNardine?
    No. But they weren't lizard kings either.

Militant Dandy, YardByrd and D-rock like this.
  25. Sear

Sear Dad rocker

"Death and my cock are the world"

No further questions your honor

Militant Dandy and D-rock like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.