Jim Steinman / Meat Loaf - Braver Than We Are - September 16

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by buzzlock, Jun 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. buzzlock

buzzlock Forum Resident Thread Starter

from theseconddisc.com:

Going All The Way Is Just The Start: Meat Loaf to Reunite with Jim Steinman on New Album
    JUNE 16, 2016 BY RANDY FAIRMAN 5 COMMENTS

[​IMG]
    BUY NOW FROM AMAZON.COM

Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman have been inextricably linked since the beginning of their careers with the release of the classic Bat Out of Hell in 1977. The rock heroes have gone their separate ways in the four decades since that album’s release but they always seem to come back together and they are doing it once again. A new Meat Loaf album entitled Braver Than We Are has just shown up on Amazon for release on September 16 with the subtitle reading “All Songs By Jim Steinman.”

This album will mark Meat Loaf’s first album since 2011’s Hell in a Handbasket. It will be his fourth album consisting of only Steinman songs, and his first since the smash Bat Out of Hell II: Back Into Hell from 1993. (Despite being the third album in the Bat Out of Hell series,2006’s Bat Out of Hell III: The Monster Is Loose contained some non-Steinman material.) Meat Loaf has been recording the new album for a couple of years with his longtime band member Paul Crook producing. Steinman reportedly did not have any production duties for the new effort, but has been working closely with Crook and Meat Loaf on the project. Ellen Foley and Karla DeVito are also featured onBraver!

Ironically, there is no song on the album entitled “Braver Than We Are.” That Steinman song was first a part of the musical Tanz Der Vampire (with lyrics in German) and got its English debut when that show came to Broadway in 2002 as Dance of the Vampires for a very short run. It has been reworked here as “Going All The Way Is Just the Start (A Song In Six Movements)” which will be the first single from the album. Three other songs on the album have been recorded before, one even partially by Meat Loaf himself. “Loving You Is A Dirty Job (But Somebody’s Got To Do It)” was originally recorded by Bonnie Tyler and Todd Rundgren on Tyler’s Secret Dreams and Forbidden Fire from 1986 (executive produced by Steinman) and “More” was first heard on The Sisters of Mercy’s 1990 album Vision Thing. Co-written with Andrew Eldritch from the British rock group, it climbed to number one on the Billboard Modern Rock chart for five weeks. “Only When I Feel” has never been professionally recorded, but in previous live performances it has contained portions of the song “If It Ain’t Broke, Break It” which Meat Loaf included on Bat Out of Hell III.

The other six songs on the album hail from earlier in Steinman’s career. However, they are most likely unknown to all but the rock maestro’s biggest fans as none have been heard outside of live performances or demos. “Who Needs the Young” is from The Dream Engine, a musical Steinman wrote in 1969 while attending Amherst College. “Train of Love” first showed up on an early 1970s demo from Steinman of songs from that musical which he was reworking at the time. “Skull Of Your Country” is a lyric in the show, but never as a whole song, so this recording may be something completely unheard. “Souvenirs” was a part of the Steinman’s 1973 musical More Than You Deserve which was performed at the famous Public Theater in New York. This show is significant because it was where Steinman first met Meat Loaf who was part of the cast. (Meat Loaf has twice recorded the title song to the show, and “Heaven Can Wait” from the first Bat was among the material considered for the musical.)

“Godz” comes from another 1973 musical, Rhinegold, co-written with Barry Keating and performed at the Mercer Arts Center and Playwrights Horizons. “Speaking In Tongues” was premiered by the group The Dream Engine, a band that performed only Steinman material at a couple of concerts back in 2005 and 2006. (Steinman’s interest in musical theatre remains unabated. The long-gestating Bat Out of Hell musical just held auditions earlier this week and may begin previews early next year in London’s West End.) The lack of completely new material in nothing unusual for a Meat Loaf/Jim Steinman project as all of the three previous albums have all contained songs from earlier in Steinman’s canon. However, on Facebook and at the forums at mlukfc.com, Meat Loaf has said that all of the songs have been reworked so that they will be different from what has been heard previously.

Several versions of the album will be released. Aside from the standard CD, Amazon is listing an exclusive autographed 2-LP vinyl and an exclusive CD/DVD version with the DVD containing a making-of featurette. Meat Loaf has indicated that there will be other retailer exclusives, although none have been confirmed with pre-order links at this time. Rolling Stone will premiere the single version of “Going All The Way” next Wednesday, June 22, according to Meat Loaf.

If you would like to go all the way with Meat Loaf and Jim Steinman’s latest effort, due on September 16, we’ve got the pre-order links below!

Meat Loaf, Braver Than We Are (Savoy/10 Spot, 2016)

Standard CD: Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K. / Amazon Canada
    Exclusive Autographed 2-LP Vinyl: Amazon U.S.
    Exclusive CD/DVD: Amazon U.S. / Amazon U.K.

1. Who Needs the Young
    2. Going All The Way Is Just The Start (A Song in Six Movements)
    3. Speaking In Tongues
    4. Loving You’s A Dirty Job (But Somebody’s Gotta Do It)
    5. Souvenirs
    6. Only When I Feel
    7. More
    8. Godz
    9. Skull of Your Country
    10. Train of Love

2. duggan

duggan Senior Member

This sounds dreadful, I think I'll buy a copy.

Remy, Murph, AndydD and 24 others like this.
  3. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

I'm in. I'm ready for a healthy dose of new Jim Steinman cheese.

4. c-eling

c-eling They're made of light,We never would have guessed

5. Gary

Gary Nauga Gort! Staff

Seems to have the same person doing the artwork as Bad for Good. :)

6. Claus

Claus Senior Member

Probably the worst album in 2016.

7. Bingo Bongo

Bingo Bongo Music gives me Eargasms

:biglaugh:

8. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

well if Jim Steinman is in then so am I !

9. bRETT

bRETT Senior Member

Doesn't sound like he's there, though-- Sounds more like "Meat Loaf sings every old Jim Steinman song he can find."

Bigger problem, though: No Todd.

10. Endymion

Endymion Forum Resident

Where's the post with the Bonnie Tyler/Todd Rundgren video gone? That was hilarious!

11. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

Hmmm...This could be interesting, but it could also be a pile. It doesn't appear that Steinman wrote ANY new songs for this album. He reworked some older material and then there's really old (pre first Meatloaf album) stuff on there. Steinman didn't produce it, either. So the "collaboration" feels a bit bolted on.

But, hey, I'll give it a listen...

12. rbp

rbp Forum Resident

Think I'll wait for the AF remastering in 20 years time with surround sound.

13. fitzysbuna

fitzysbuna Senior Member

well that sucks then !

14. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

i'll get it

15. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

Cover art by Julie Bell, who did Bat III and Hang Cool Teddy Bear... and happens to be the wife and model of fantasy artist Boris Vallejo:
    Julie Bell - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia »

16. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

It doesn't sound like Jim Steinman is in very good shape, either, reading the Web. (Meatloaf collapsed onstage last night--see other thread). I guess he suffered some strokes, and is confined to a wheelchair these days. So who knows how up he would have been to a full collaboration on this album even if wanted that...

17. TStewart422

TStewart422 Forum Resident

18. pghmusiclover

pghmusiclover Senior Member

I'm happy to see that Ellen Foley and Karla DeVito are involved!

19. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

I never expected Meat and Steinman to work together in any capacity again after Bat Out of Hell III, but shows what I know. Sad that it isn't a full collaboration like their other albums though. I'll give it a listen on Spotify, but if it's got that nu-metal sound he's used lately I won't listen for long.

20. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

This was accidentally leaked on Apple Music for most of the afternoon on Wednesday, and...well... :sigh:

MikaelaArsenault and Davmoco like this.
  21. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I'll pass on this one. It's just the way it is. :nyah:

22. swandown

swandown Under Assistant West Coast Forum Resident

The artwork looks like a 6th grade Photoshop project.

In other words, the artwork looks like every CGI-infested movie of the past 5 years.

23. Rupe33

Rupe33 Senior Member

24. coffeetime

coffeetime Senior Member

Good to see they'll finally stopped pilfering and reusing Pandora's Box Original Sin material - no one who's 'covered' any tracks of that album have improved them. Along wth the original Bat Out Of Hell, Original Sin in my favourite Steinman album.

25. TStewart422

TStewart422 Forum Resident

Yeah... I could only make it a couple of minutes. If that's what the rest of the album is like... not good.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.