Jim Steinman / Meat Loaf - Braver Than We Are - September 16

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by buzzlock, Jun 16, 2016.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

2. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

Meat appears to be in denial. Many hard core fans think he's had a stroke. He thinks he has a bad back!
    It is a little sad to see. He was immense in every way up until about '93.

3. Chris DeVoe

Chris DeVoe RIP Vickie Mapes Williams (aka Equipoise)

It can happen. The director of LA Confidential, Curtis Hanson died not long ago. From a news report:

Hanson's companion, The Kite Runner producer Rebecca Yeldham, said Wednesday in a statement that the filmmaker "had been battling for some time a rare terminal condition known as frontotemporal degeneration. It is a distinctly different diagnosis than Alzheimer’s, with its own set of symptoms and challenges.

"A clinical feature of the disease is anosognosia, a lack of awareness about the condition itself. We will be forever thankful that Curtis never suffered in the knowledge of his illness or prognosis. He died peacefully in his sleep."

4. Kit2010

Kit2010 Too far gone

I saw the UK interview with Meat. I've loved his stuff ever since the first Bat album, and have every album since, several in multiple versions. My impression of him is that he's always been a bit of a handful for interviewers, but in a straight up true-to-self sort of way. Got to admire that.

This is my stuff, but thought I'd share it here given the way the thread has gone. My much loved, and sadly long departed mother suffered a series of strokes in her old age, several before they were diagnosed as strokes. She had some falls/minor blackouts that were initially put down to a variety of things, including frailty, simple accidents, etc....Turns out there's this thing called a transient ischaemic attack ("TIA") which is a kind of "mini stroke" caused by a temporary disruption in the blood supply to the brain. Immediate symptoms can be like a stroke (slurred speech etc) but can also quickly pass. Fortunately, my mother's condition was properly diagnosed and treated so she got the right meds to give her several more years than even the Drs gave her. Although TIAs can quickly resolve, they can also be warning signs a bigger potentially fatal stroke is on the way. Definitely things it pays to learn a bit about. And not saying Meat had one, but yeah, I count myself among the ones worried for his health and hope that he eases up some.

5. bob60

bob60 Forum Resident

Thanks for posting this, very interesting read...

6. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

I hope they can sort out his slurred speech but alas I'm not sure his voice will ever be the same. :(

7. johnny q

johnny q Forum Resident

MikaelaArsenault likes this.
  8. Lou Ming

Lou Ming Forum Resident

How about "you've got fire, I've got wood"? What is he, 12?

9. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Now the dust has settled on Braver Than We Are, is there any news on Meat Loaf, health or career wise? I'm watching a Netflix doc on National Lampoons and he's a talking head on it with all his wits about him so it got me thinking about how he's doing and where he'llgo next professionally

10. videoman

videoman Senior Member

Politics

11. This might be a case of very wishful thinking on my part, but I really hope Meat drops in to make at least one special guest appearance for the upcoming Bat Out Of Hell musical, as a recent behind the scenes video by its production team suggests that Jim Steinman would be unlikely to attend (as a result of his own health problems, he's been forced to guide this project via Skype chats). Also, what are the odds of Meat's contributions to the Netflix documentary mentioned earlier being recorded perhaps several months in advance of its release? I'd be happy to see at least Meat give us another new album - he deserves much better than for Braver Than We Are to be remembered as his final statement!

Last edited: Feb 11, 2017
  12. Chris DeVoe

I've not heard Todd being involved in any way, which is a shame. I think he'd enjoy being the arranger.

13. This project has been in "development hell" (pun very much intended) for years as a result of Jim's various health issues, so it doesn't surprise me in the slightest that Todd isn't associated with it - he probably found a million other things to do in the time it's taken the musical to finally reach audiences!

14. Chris DeVoe

He's talked about trying his hand at Broadway again. Up Against It flopped - as far as I can tell mostly because he didn't write the bunch of faux Beatles songs he could have, and instead indulged his inner Sondheim.

15. roughdiamondnickel

roughdiamondnickel Forum Resident

No, it's mixed that way. The mix/production is incredibly wimpy and weird and distant.

16. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

I just picked this up finally. think I'm in for a shock

17. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

does anyone know how / what Meat Loaf is doing these days?
    He's been pretty much absent from the media since the press run for this album.......

18. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

does anyone know how / what Meat Loaf is doing these days?
    He's been pretty much absent from the media since the press run for this album.......

19. MikaelaArsenault

MikaelaArsenault Forum Resident

Check his Facebook.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Porkpie

Porkpie Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  21. Eiricd

Eiricd Forum Resident

Matthew Tate likes this.
  22. Tony Cruse

Tony Cruse Tc

Matthew Tate, tin ears and Fullbug like this.
  23. walrus

walrus Staring into nothing

Honestly, given his age at the time and the difficulty of the material, I thought he was surprisingly good in the 2004 Melbourne Symphony DVD. Nowhere near his peak, obviously, but good enough to pull that gig off. He seemed to decline pretty steeply vocally after that, unfortunately.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. KDubATX

KDubATX A Darby Man Never Says When

Hey why let the inability to perform live to limit your ability to make a living off live performance...I guess.

painted8 likes this.
  25. Sandinista

Sandinista Forum Resident

I wouldn't go see him but I applaud the transparency.

Galley, savemenow, Runicen and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.