Jimi Hendrix "Songs For Groovy Children" 5CD Box Set of '70 Fillmore East Concerts Due Nov. 22, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

The Gomper, Shak Cohen, DTK and 2 others like this.
  2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I would be interested to know how people would recompile the Band of Gypsies album as a single disc now that we have the majority of the recordings.

3. DoctorGero

DoctorGero Forum Resident

I have thought about that. I would keep side A the same. Who Knows and Machine Gun are the best Band of Gypsys tracks in my opinion.

I don't find the tracks on side B the best tracks. If I would make a choice, side B would look like this:

1. Power of Soul (31/12/69 first show)
    2. Stone Free (31/12/69 second show)

But Stone Free is not a new track. If only new songs were picked then I would pick for the B side:

1. Power of Soul (31/12/69 first show)
    2. Message to Love (1/1/70 second show)
    3. Stepping Stone (1/1/70 first show)
    4. Earth Blues (1/1/70 first show)

Yes the B-side would last 24 minutes, but it is possible. Alternately, pick the very first Earth Blues (31/12/69 first show) instead of the 1/1/70 first show version because it is one minute shorter. I think the latter rocks more, despite being out of tune.

Roberto899 and John Fell like this.
  4. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I was thinking of using the full length of a cd if I compile it rather than lp length.

5. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Ok opening riffs, initial riffs or just riffs if that makes u feel better.

and Btw I have listened to most of the box 2 complete times and one of the sets more than that. It is mostly great but the more Ilisten I do find it a tad harsh at times. Reserving the real critical listening for the vinyl but since I need a new stylus I may not be playing the vinyl right away.

6. Roberto899

I'll give this a shot. I'll use records sides of around 20 minutes and new songs. I'm leaving out Who Knows because 1. of the tech difficulties on the 1/1 first set and I'm not out to say f you to anyone hahahaha & 2, because the 12/31 version although I like it, isn't as formed as the next night. If possible to edit the 1/1 version without the string break I would probably use it.

Side A
    1. Power of Soul 12/31 first set
    2. Izabella 12/31/ first set.
    3. Machine Gun 1/1 first set.

Side B
    1. Changes 12/31 1/1 First set
    2. Stop 1/1 first set
    3. Earth Blues 1/1 2nd set
    4. Burning Desire 1/1 first set

it's a little long but with some judicious edits I think you fit it on an album.

Last edited: Dec 7, 2019
    JayB likes this.
  7. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Personaly I'd prefer to know which, for you, is the better rendition for each song. Digital servers are great, no need to limit ourselves to 40 minutes, let's create the perfect Band of Gypsys live playlist.

quicksrt likes this.
  8. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

As for recompiling the LP, I would have omitted Who Knows and opened it with Stone Free (1/1, 2nd set), which would have needed to be slightly edited down to fit alongside Machine Gun on Side A. Side B would omit Buddy's songs and would still contain Power To Love (1/1, 2nd set) and Message To Love (1/1, 2nd set) in their original Hendrix edits, sequenced as follows: Hear My Train A Comin' (12/31, 1st set), Power To Love, and Message To Love. I think that sequencing gets rid of the bloat and filler (all of which was good in its own way, particularly Who Knows), but also maintains Hendrix's alleged desire to keep most of his new, original material for other non-PPX/Capitol projects. It keeps the three core BoG highlights chosen by Hendrix intact, and adds a stellar live take of Stone Free and a place for Hear My Train A Comin', a blues workout that needed a home after 2.5+ years of being a live staple.

Side A:
    Stone Free
    Machine Gun

Side B:
    Hear My Train A Comin'
    Power To Love
    Message To Love

Chris M and John Fell like this.
  9. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I was thinking of creating a single disc highlights cd like Experience Hendrix released for the Winterland box set.

It is also interesting that so far everyone seems to be omitting most of the Buddy Miles tracks.

musicfan37 likes this.
  10. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I don't mind Buddy's songs, and can appreciate Hendrix including them (either as a way to pad out the release without giving Chalpin a complete album of first-rate material, or to give Buddy some additional revenues, or both), but due to time limitations and the fact that I think something compelling like Hear My Train A Comin', that happened to be roughly the same playing time as both of Buddy's songs combined, would have been a superior addition to the album, Buddy's songs get excised from the proposed track listing.

Pouchkine and DTK like this.
  11. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I would probably include (Them) Changes and possibly Stop while omitting We Gotta Live Together on a single cd highlights disc.

I like your other song choices.

davies54, 905 and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  12. So, the best rendition of each song, meaning no repeats, right? And longer than 40 minutes, so a single 80 minute CD?

13. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

:tiphat::yikes:
    Nice try! If you get a response it's time to totally reevaluate my opinion of Eddie Kramer. Not holding breath though.

14. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

And if there was a response it might likely reveal nothing. Professionals are now aware that their private correspondence will certainly get directly copied to Internet forums and websites. Leaving many to regret their kind responses if anything was revealed beyond liner notes, and common and previously known facts.

But maybe.... who knows!

Rockin' Robby, Spencer R and DTK like this.
  15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Nah, he could've play his ass of to that. Listen to Stone Free, Little Miss Lover, Gypsy Eyes or Dolly Dagger.

16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Correct. The examples we have of Mitch playing it aborts early - Berkeley rehearsals and Berlin September 4.
    I believe that was the reason Jimi didn't play it on the 1970 tour, not that he didn't like the song.

17. fredhammersmith

fredhammersmith Forum Resident

Yes! Even the 80 minute mark can be broken. A perfect BOG show. And we'll want Steal Away there!

18. Munros1969

Munros1969 Forum Resident

Just listened to it and I’m not going to disagree with your assessment.

19. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

If Allen’s museum still owns the tapes, you could also ask the museum if they can share the full set list song titles in chronological sequence for fan or scholarly research purposes.

In 1998, the museum said: “These recordings are the missing link. They are the aural evidence that music fans and scholars have needed in order to allow further study of the development and evolution of Hendrix's skill and artistic style.”

The museum changed its name and is now called MoPOP. Link to museum below...

Hendrix: Wild Blue Angel | MoPOP

Last edited: Dec 8, 2019
    ARK and SOONERFAN like this.
  20. DoctorGero

DoctorGero Forum Resident

Okay, I sent this email to them:

"Dear Jimi Hendrix museum,

I have learned you have stored the famous Band of Gypsys tapes. May I ask what the actual content of these tapes is? What songs did Jimi Hendrix play during each set and in what order?

I have to add that the 5-cd set Songs For Groovy Children misses some Band of Gypsys tracks. But it is unknown exactly which.

Greetings,..."

21. Roberto899

I disagree. Power of Soul required a heavy hand. Mitch did not have a heavy hand. None of those examples you list are heavy. And I'm not saying Buddy was better than Mitch or anything like that. It's strictly a style difference, Mitch coming from jazz, Buddy from funk.

The Gomper, vegafleet and DTK like this.
  22. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Buddy didn't come from funk, he came from R&B/Soul and The Electric Flag. You don't get much funkier than Mitch's drums on Little Miss Lover (Prince even sampled it for Click, Click, Bang). Funk isn't about simply hitting hard on the beat in a regular fashion.
    I can agree though that Buddy's sparser style suited the song well but Mitch was the funkier drummer, as Jimi himself said.

Rockin' Robby, Tuck1977 and jomo48 like this.
  23. Tuck1977

Tuck1977 Forum Resident

Tick, Tick, Bang

Purple Jim likes this.
  24. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

John that was extremely kind of you to research that and I am grateful to you for the effort!

John Fell likes this.
  25. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Not considering the legal problems Hendrix was facing at the time, I guess this could be the tracklist of a full cd.

Stone Free (4th show)
    Power of Soul (4th show, edited)
    Message to Love (4th show))
    Machine Gun (3rd show)
    Changes (4th show, edited)
    Izabella (1st show)
    Stop (1st show)
    Hear My Train (1st show)
    Earth Blues (4th show)
    Burning Desire (3rd show)

John Fell likes this.
Thread Status: