Jimi Hendrix "Songs For Groovy Children" 5CD Box Set of '70 Fillmore East Concerts Due Nov. 22, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The 5.1 mix of EL is very good. Made the whole package worthwhile to me.

duneman, J_D__, Tuck1977 and 2 others like this.
  2. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

Are you talking about the CD layer on the SACD or the stand alone CD or both? Is there any difference between the stand alone CD and the CD layer on the SACD at all?

All Down The Line likes this.
  3. Standalone CD. The redbook layer on the SACD is the same as the SACD layer. Identical in SQ.

The standalone CD has been limited.

EDIT: funny, when you used to get a "limited edition" of music it was great!

Nowadays a "limited edition" has a whole new meaning. :)

4. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The SACD redbook layer is more dynamic than the standard CD as I noted above. As @EVOLVIST noted, however, there is very little audible difference between the two, at least IMO.

Jimi Bat and EVOLVIST like this.
  5. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I like what you did there.
    To go off on a tangent it is good to Not have a "limited education" of music either.

6. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Besides We Gotta Live Together (which we already know will be edited) are there any other tracks when unedited that would be too long for a side of vinyl? This would be my only concern with the vinyl set. I will be waiting for the vinyl set assuming I can control myself knowing the CdS are avaiable and I have been waiting many years for this material in high quality

Last edited: Nov 5, 2019
    All Down The Line likes this.
  7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

You can have over 25 minutes per lp side, right, so no, there's no one song that will have to be split. Unless they want to do it for some reason. I guess the longest track is Stone Free from 31/12, which is 17-18 minutes.

8. Experiencereunited

Looking at the vinyl track listing every Machine Gun on the set has at least one if not 2 other songs on thee same vinyl side which unfortunately in my mind opens up doors for Eddie to pull out the scissors. We know for sure the scissors will be used on one of the Foxey Ladys and We Gotta Live Together hopefully those will be the only oness.

DTK likes this.
  9. dee

dee Senior Member

So, this is it so far from the new box set? Due to the play source, I don't want to put much stock in the 'sound quality' of it, but for the mix, and I can't help myself anyway in doing so. Anyway, any thoughts on room or concert audience ambiance or possibly lack thereof or not really an issue as its only one short song and really a 'listening' experience? Just seems like it might sound a bit sterile to me but maybe can't put much stock in it due to the play source and this listener. Anybody else bothered by the intermittent cymbal washes in the right channel. No is a good answer too lol. I'm finding it kind of distracting. Set already pre-ordered and anticipated, excited to hear it asap. Those are just a few initial impressions or perhaps queries or speculations through an imperfect listen. I like the mix of it 'cept for the cymbals effect which is may be as much sound as placement therein, but their 'isolation' seems to offer more easily a change in my listening focus. Probably overthinking it. Will have to wait and hear.

10. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

@dee

Would you agree the 2nd set Foxy Lady mix sounds completely different, suggesting that Foxy Lady may be a vintage mix-down and that multitrack coverage may not exist for Foxy Lady?

powerpc and dee like this.
  11. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

They also released Foxy Lady from 12/31, but it basically sounds exactly like the mix on WCSB

Edit-what he said. Will have to see if they mention anything about the whole saga of the tapes in the liner notes.

All Down The Line and dee like this.
  12. dee

dee Senior Member

Am just listening now, and at work, but the vibe, feel (sound?) sure seems more 'live in concert' to me than Message To Love. Foxey's got that primal edge to it with like a a little more pounding, sledgehammer effect.
    Raw. It does 'sound' more vintage to me fwiw and 'of its era' too?

Thanks for posting that! I think I had seen it in-thread but with so many recent music releases hadn't listened to it.

Natural E and All Down The Line like this.
  13. dee

dee Senior Member

yes...

14. All Down The Line

Hopefully not the unkindest cut/s!

Dark Horse 77 likes this.
  15. vegafleet

vegafleet Forum Resident

Do we have any indication if this will come out in Hi-rez at some point?

I am trying to stay away from buying the Machine Gun SACD but if the whole thing comes out later in Hi-rez (any format), I would of course wait.

16. Experiencereunited

Don't hold your breath on the boxset coming out in high rez (SACD, Blu Ray or DL). Don't think EH has ever released a box set in Hi Rez at the time of release or later. (Excepting the ELL Blue Ray in last years ELL boxset)

17. Apache Chief

Apache Chief Forum Resident

I know this isn't really the right thread to post this in, but Jimi's official YT channel randomly uploaded Purple Haze.

Hopefully this means Jimi's albums will finally be available on YT soon. (Band of Gypsys is the only available one as of now)

18. JayB

JayB Senior Member

Just over a week! Can't wait.

19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

20. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Listening to Buddy describe Machine Gun as Delta blues, I could hear Jimi in my head doing it like Midnight Lightning on SSD...would've been killer...

21. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

That 5.1 mix made me sad because I love that album so much. It could have been done much better if they had used outboard analog gear to re-create the phasing and delays that were used originally. To me, it was a missed opportunity to create something insanely brilliant. I've tried to like it, but I just can't. Too many bad decisions with digital effects. The bass drum intro to Gypsy Eyes is one example out of 1,000 that make me cringe.

EVOLVIST likes this.
  22. All Down The Line

And why not, jeez that is close to the very best track on the entire release for me!

23. Analogmoon

Analogmoon All the Way Back in the Seventies

I just noticed this morning that A Film About Jimi Hendrix (1973) is now on Netflix. I have not seen that film in years. I have it on VHS.

Purple Jim, Smokin Chains and SG47 like this.
  24. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Thanks for the tip. I’ve never seen it, but will watch it now.

25. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

At Wowhd the status is ' In Stock'. Ordered. Free shipping €48,10.

JayB likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.