Jimi Hendrix "Songs For Groovy Children" 5CD Box Set of '70 Fillmore East Concerts Due Nov. 22, 2019

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by thenobs70, Oct 1, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Thanks John interesting if they are really highlights though less for me if duplicated on the Douglas disc.

2. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I don't recall how many are the same versions as the Douglas disc off of the top of my head. It does have some great tracks which are not on the Douglas disc.

3. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Cool, well perhaps worth thinking about if easy to pick up?

4. I finally received the Machine Gun SACD I purchased from a forum member. The sound is stunning for a live recording -it may be my best sounding live CD. The song performances are all fine (Buddy and Jimi in fine voice too), though I was struck at the rather tentative take of Machine Gun. It's good here, but not a patch on the version they chose for the BOG album.

5. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I'm quite sure that's the reason.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

@All Down The Line

Live at Winterland

1. "Prologue" – 0:57
    2. "Fire" (October 11, 1968, 2nd show) – 3:12
    3. "Manic Depression" (October 12, 1968, 2nd show) – 4:46
    4. "Sunshine of Your Love" (Eric Clapton, Jack Bruce, Pete Brown) (October 10, 1968, 2nd show) – 6:25
    5. "Spanish Castle Magic" (October 12, 1968, 2nd show) – 5:32
    6. "Red House" (October 11, 1968, 1st show) – 11:32
    7. "Killing Floor" (Chester Arthur Burnett) (October 10, 1968, 2nd show) – 8:05
    8. "Tax Free" (Bo Hansson, Janne Carlsson) (October 11, 1968, 2nd show) – 8:00
    9. "Foxy Lady" (October 11, 1968, 2nd show) – 4:50
    10. "Hey Joe" (Billy Roberts) (October 12, 1968, 1st show) – 6:44
    11. "Purple Haze" (October 12, 1968, 1st show) – 4:34
    12. "Wild Thing" (Chip Taylor) (October 12, 1968, 1st show) – 3:05
    13. "Epilogue" – 0:30
    Winterland Highlights

1. "Fire" October 12, 1st show 3:30
    2. "Foxey Lady" October 10, 1st show 5:35
    3. "Like a Rolling Stone" (Dylan) October 12, 1st show 11:00
    4. "Hey Joe" (Roberts) October 11, 2nd show 5:00
    5. "Hear My Train A Comin'" October 10, 2nd show 12:00
    6. "Sunshine of Your Love" (Bruce, Clapton, Brown) October 10, 2nd show 7:10
    7. "Little Wing" October 12, 2nd show 3:45
    8. "Are You Experienced?" October 10, 1st show 7:27
    9. "Manic Depression" October 12, 2nd show 5:30
    10. "Voodoo Child (Slight Return)" October 10, 1st show 7:45
    11. "Purple Haze" October 11, 2nd show

Looks like not much overlap as far as the same versions of songs from the same nights. It appears Manic Depression and Sunshine of Your Love are the only duplicates.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2019
  7. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

RE: ACCURACY OF TONY BROWN FILLMORE BOG SETLISTS

How accurate are the Tony Brown setlists from a standpoint of a.) songs performed and b.) performance sequence?

@kees1954
    • Would you be happy to post Mr. Brown's setlists for all four shows?
    • Did Mr. Brown listen to all the tapes -- or just some of them?
    • Did Mr. Brown review the notations on the tape boxes?
    It appears that there are at least two errors in Mr. Brown's setlists. @DoctorGero posted on CTT that Mr. Brown "missed Burning Desire from the third show and Lover Man from the fourth show."

But thus far, it appears the only known errors in Mr. Brown's setlists are errors of OMISSION -- not errors of errant inclusion.

@kees1954 stated that Mr. Brown said in 1995 "I finally got to hear some of the Gypsys master reels last week. There was some nice surprises on there for me, and material i just had never heard before. In fact I could not even put any name to some of the tracks."

Mr. Brown makes mention of hearing "some" but not all of the master tape reels. Could it be that Mr. Brown didn't hear all the shows and "Burning Desire" from the third show and "Lover Man" from the fourth show were not written on the tape boxes, hence the omission from his setlists? Otherwise, how did Mr. Brown not come to include them in his set lists?

Finally, Mr. Brown reported that Izabella, Foxy Lady and Burning Desire were performed during the four show. But if these songs were actually performed, why are they not on the EH Groovy Children box set when the 5th compact disc only contains 28 minutes of music?

Were these three missing songs written on the tape box for the fourth show? Did Mr. Brown actually hear them?

Or did Mr. Brown get them wrong?

If Mr. Brown heard SOME but not ALL of the tapes, I can understand how his setlists could OMIT two songs that were performed (especially if they weren't noted on the tape box). But it is less clear how three songs that were not performed could be errantly added to the fourth set list.

Also of note: vkd108 is in dialogue with EH. EH explained that 5 songs were cut from the 2nd show "for performance or tuning reasons." But EH didn't comment about the fourth show.

I understand vkd108 has since followed up and asked EH if any songs were cut from the fourth show and if the fourth show track sequence was rearranged by EH. Did vkd108 ever receive a response from EH about the fourth show?

jhm likes this.
  8. To me the SQ of this release only adds to my listening enjoyment. The more I can hear, the better I feel. :)

9. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

At this point, without any other evidence like an audience tape, I think this is going to be it. We know what we have and what's missing. If McD can shed further light on things at some point, so much the better. The fact we got two extra songs that practically no one knew existed up until now is reason for holding out final closure. But otherwise, I'll just enjoy what's here...and maybe drag out my BoG and LatF to compare mixes...then edit the missing stuff back in to the 2nd set...

Experiencereunited and EVOLVIST like this.
  10. monkboughtlunch

Excellent point. Back in 1995, Mr. Brown accurately reported that the then unknown “I Got To See You” (“Steal Away”) was part of the fourth show.

And since Mr. Brown claimed to have heard at least some of the master reels, it is very difficult to blanket-dismiss his claims that Izabella, Foxy Lady and Burning Desire were performed during the fourth show.

If anything, until EH comments on the 4th show, I think Mr. Brown should at least be given the benefit of the doubt since 10 songs were excised by EH from Winterland. “Past is prologue...”

Maidenpriest likes this.
  11. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

It is important to remember that the Winterland box was always presented as a compilation, not a package of individual concerts. Songs from different sets are mixed together. The Fillmore East box set was designed to present the sets; not that such a configuration is exempt from excised songs (clearly some were omitted), but the Winterland configuration and its omissions are not exactly based on the same criteria.

Maidenpriest, SOONERFAN, jhm and 2 others like this.
  12. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Amazing, we got to conclude that waiting for some official comment from John or EH on this set content / recorded content is about the best thing we can do. But didn't I say that a few pages back?

Something along the lines of, maybe we will get some news in the forth coming updated Ultimate Hendrix book!

Cokelike- likes this.
  13. It's because you have to have the tapes in hand, with the ability to listen to them, before this and any other questions can be answered. It's not that difficult of a concept.

14. monkboughtlunch

And yet you "answered" this question for us. :righton:

15. DoctorGero

DoctorGero Forum Resident

I have some ideas:
    1. Tony Brown wrote down the set lists from memory, after he listened to the tapes, and in the process forgot and mixed up some things.
    2. Message to Love segues into Machine Gun. He got confused with the first show a day earlier when Jimi segued Izabella into Machine Gun. So he places Izabella before Machine on the fourth show.
    3. A bootleg tape has Earth Blues before Machine Gun on the fourth show. The same tape has some songs from the third show (Changes, Power of Soul) which precede Earth Blues from the fourth show. Then Machine Gun follows Earth Blues, then Voodoo Child follows machine Gun and then comes WGLT, WT, HJ and PH. (source: Plug your Ears by Kees de Lange and Ben Valkhoff). Maybe Tony Brown got confused by this tape and erroneously places Earth Blues before Machine Gun and a fictitious Izabella.
    4. He confused Lover Man with Foxy Lady.
    5. He erronously relocates Burning Desire from the third show to the fourth show.
    6. Maybe he confuses Hear My Train a Comin' from the third show with Burning Desire.
    7. The black and white videos from the third show suggest Jimi ends the show with Earth Blues. Tony gets confused by this video and places Burning Desire before Earth Blues, and then he confuses Burning Desire with Hear My Train.
    8. And just maybe, he didn't hear the actual tapes but some samplers made by Paul Allen who may have edited some content according to his wishes, shuffling some songs around.
    EDIT: 9. Tony Brown gets confused by the rumour spread by Kees de Lange about a tape of the third show which has Hear My Train preceding Earth Blues. The rumour doesn't mention Burning Desire.
    EDIT 2: 10. He switches around Power of Soul and Changes, because the LP has the order reversed.

jhm and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  16. That answered zero questions. I saw the error of my ways. You're asking answerable questions and so was I. Wake up and smell grass. :)

jhm likes this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I have an idea. Tony Brown was on some heavy, good grass. RIP Tony.

The Gomper, SG47, Purple Jim and 2 others like this.
  18. I wouldn't dare say that it's the only way to listen to Hendrix, but as far as audio tweaks goes, it'll beat out fancy cables and $50,000 monoblocks any day. :righton:

19. Psychedelic Good Trip

Psychedelic Good Trip Beautiful Psychedelic Colors Everywhere

20. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I'll travel to Seattle and bit John a big, big steak dinner and get him to spill be beans. Things is I think he's a lot like us Hendrix nuts. Kramer is showbiz and Janie is a gready business person more than a music fan. John is a nerd and probably a nice one.

21. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

I be one of them. One of the dirtiest, sleezy versions of the song out there.

The Gomper, DTK and SG47 like this.
  22. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

It's one of those songs you wish the locknut had been invented for, those out of tune strings HURT! The playing is great and Jimi does some nasty stuff all right but when that Strat goes out of tune...hard to get it back mid song, especially when it's a couple of them going out.

Sharp 1080, Roberto899 and EVOLVIST like this.
  23. Sharp 1080

Sharp 1080 Well-Known Member

Hey some of us, albeit a very very small group enjoy our high end systems. You'll just have to trust me when I say that it is even more enjoyable on "fancy cables", and 50K monoblocks! Dan D'Agostino Progression monoblocks if you must know! ;)

EVOLVIST likes this.
  24. Roberto899

Roberto899 Forum Resident

Yeah I like some of those versions were he is struggling with the tunning, AYE from Winterland another one I really like... hahaha Just listening to him deal with it and changing things around to suit the tunning. One of a kind experiences....so to speak....hahaha That said though, other times they are a mess, Atlanta Hey Baby popping to mind.

SG47 likes this.
  25. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I want a fuller review, full size lady ;)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.