DCC Archive Jimi Hendrix Advice

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Ben, Oct 4, 2001.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ben

Ben New Member Thread Starter

Hey, gang...

Can I get some opinions on what's the best audiophile approach to some Hendrix...I'm thinking vinyl here, of course...

Single issues, compilations, box sets, and label guidance would be most appreciated!

Best to the Board,

Ben
    :cool:

2. Ben: My best advice to you is to seek out the
    vinyl and CD reissues that have been coming from MCA/Universal and the official Hendrix family outlet, ExperienceHendrix.com. Not only are these titles remastered lovingly by
    Jimi's personal recording engineer, Eddie Kramer, but Jimi's dad and sister are personally supervising the packaging and overall quality control of these albums. Seeing as they had to go through a nasty legal wrangle with the former executor of the
    Hendrix Estate in order to regain control of
    Jimi's master tapes, I'd do my best to support the Hendrix family's custodianship of
    his legacy. For LP's, any of the Universal Heavy Vinyl reissues of his original catalog would be a great start, along with their CD
    counterparts. :D

3. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Try Classic records vinyl version of Band of Gypsys - it's very good apparently. If you can get hold of a vinyl copy of The Jimi Hendrix Experience (?? 8 albums or 4 CDs), have a listen to Red House at San Diego - really excellent.

4. joelee

joelee Hyperactive!

Ben,
    I suggest you seek out the original Reprise(or later pressings) LPs of the Hendrix titles. I have both MCA 180 gram pressings and the Reprise and the later sound much better since they're analogue recordings.
    If you like the sound of the recent CDs the LPs sound the same. The MCA pressings are well done, they are just bright for vinyl.
    I also prefer the 2nd issue Reprise CDs to the recent MCA releases but most people would argue with me on that.

5. Sckott

Sckott Hand Tighten Only.

I've tried the Experience Hendrix MCA 180's, Reprises, Polydoors (UK and Japanese) and the BEST sound I got from Hendrix vinyl is, without a doubt the UK Polydoor reissues from 3-4 years ago. They can still be found. I just completed a set from Red Trumpet, but they only had 1 copy of each. The sound is really THAT good. Listening to just the "AYE" and A/Bing them all, no comparison. Makes Electric Ladyland seem like it was made last year. Note, the original pressings (Track and Polydoor issues of later years) I thought sounded pale, but "alright".

Also, you're a fool if you don't get the MONO Axis: from Classic. It's an...experience. Have you ever?

6. JPartyka

JPartyka I Got a Home on High

I'll second this. I like all the Classic LPs I've heard but I'd have to say this may be my favorite. Right from the first drum roll into "Up from the Skies," it'll really WOW you ...

7. J Epstein

J Epstein Member

Not necessarily stoned . . . but beautiful.

8. Ben

Ben New Member Thread Starter

Wow - Quite the shopping list I now have!

Thanks to all for your input...now warming up the Visa card on runway 24L....

Ben
    [​IMG]

[ October 06, 2001: Message edited by: Ben ]

9. Ian

Ian Active Member

Ummmmmm... I think Alan Douglas used No Noise on the 2nd issue Reprise CD's.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.