Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys 50th Anniversary AAA Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greenmonster2420, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

Red Black Marble AAA vinyl just arrived, wasn't going to get it having the Two Nights Box on vinyl and CD, but, yer know.....

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
  2. What are we purchasing? What should the sticker say? Mine sounds pretty great.

Sis+erRay and Deek57 like this.
  3. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Sony aren't likely to change this sort of promotion, not that sort of company.

Mine sounds crap!

Check how the vocal has a " forced" feel about it.

Straight from the off you hear the cymbals have less focus, becomes more noticeable against a Classic or new black / coloured US pressing.

I never was able to engage with the EU from first play.

4. attym

attym Forum Resident

If you have the Classic, would there be any benefit to ordering a 50th US black vinyl? Better quality vinyl or not worth the effort?

5. Gordon Johnson

I don't see any benefit to be honest, past an excellent poster :)

But for the price of $20 it's a good chance to get a nice back up if your one of those buyers who plays records.

rednedtugent and attym like this.
  6. Bad pressing?

7. Gordon Johnson

Not at all, that's how it is. The physical pressing is exemplary bar a little noise here and there.

What I hear is about the mastering.

8. brickfoot

brickfoot Member

Sorry, I am new to this board so if I am posting this question in the wrong thread I apologize.

I am a huge Hendrix fan and have amassed a pretty noteworthy collection. Recently grabbed the groovy children box set, west coast seattle boy box set and the new 50th BOG black vinyl. Are there any other releases planned for this year? Just got the EL 50th box for Father's Day as well.

I also bought the Crash Landing Masters on vinyl today. Really excited to hear this one. Excited to hear these recordings untampered with for the first time in its entirety.

I'd like some suggestions on albums I should be looking to grab. I would list all of the albums I have but that would be a bit gratuitous.

9. That's fine. I just wish more people would chime in on this.

GentleSenator likes this.
  10. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

What exactly do you think is fake?

11. Gordon Johnson

Take a search and see if there is a more relevant thread [still open] in which to post this.

If not, start a new one, I'm sure there will be plenty of suggestions for what you can be buying up.

And just to point out, bootlegs are frowned upon here so tread with care on that point.

brickfoot likes this.
  12. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I'm glad I got the Classic back when it came out. That sounds great, and I needle dropped it for digital, too, so I'm all set. It's terrible these new releases are so confusing!

13. The Classics went through some quality control issues back in the day, not with the mastering but pressing and mostly with warps and nonfill so if you don't have one or have one with those flaws, get yourself a US 50th as you get the Classic metal parts pressed perfectly. At least mine is.

Last edited: Jul 1, 2020
    hi_watt and Spencer R like this.
  14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I said pretty much the same things about four months ago in response to the same post. The only post I could find from our host on the subject had no reference to the Classic being flat mastered - only that it was cut from the master.

15. Vinyljunkie22

Vinyljunkie22 Forum Resident

I saw this available a couple weeks ago and didn't pull the trigger. Now I'm kicking myself!!! :cry:

16. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Throw-up version is getting expensive on Discogs.

Clucking likes this.
  17. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

What's up Showtime? I have Amazon Prime (free shipping) and noticed the standard black 50th is less than $20. Pretty cool that they used the Classic metal work, so how does the sq compare with an orig?

18. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

Hey now Doc. I'm gearing up for a record store trip today like it's an expedition to the jungles of Peru. Only second visit since February. We're both in hot zones now, lucky us!

I have two almost identical green label RLs. VG/VG+. Never heard the Classic but I understand they are using the same plates with STERLING stampers.

My throw-up vinyl sounds great! From half a dozen casual (yet loud) listens it sounds just like the old school version.

For less than $20, I believe an astute listener such as yourself would find great value, especially from the fresh quiet wax. I recommend it to you.

Stay safe.

The Gomper and Dr. Funk like this.
  19. Dr. Funk

Dr. Funk Vintage Dust

Good luck out there! Find something good. :righton:

Last edited: Jul 9, 2020
  20. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Preordered the throw up version and a black one.

Not a single comment from EH about what they've done with them or what they're doing with them.
    Black one is available locally at small indie store (in AUST!) so I'm paying out for one of those (& an ELL that EH should heve sent me. )
    Now give my money back you bastards.

21. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Damn, at $20, I'M tempted to get one and I don't really have a working record player!

E.Baba and Clucking like this.
  22. ODShowtime

ODShowtime jaded faded

I'm sorry about that man. You guys have it rough down there. Very isolated from everyone else.

I would love to visit some day. Judging by your avatar maybe I should wait awhile. Florida ain't doin too hot either these days. But friendship to you from across the globe.

E.Baba and Clucking like this.
  23. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Thank you.
    Have just spent 20 years in 'the hills' in Oz so l got used to waiting for mail, also I realise 'virus', but some sort of comms when l made significant preorder direct to EH to replace everything incinerated in firestorm would be good.
    Since the fires I have been forced to move into 'town'. Local little store somehow having shopstock is endgame !
    Not ordering anything direct from EH again. I'll pay more for the locals to actually do it and stuff trying to get a 'gold' pressing, that comes out like spew anyway.

(Nothing left but bent steel and cracked concrete. Got out at 3am with phone and car. Might be time to change avatar since even that has gone now.)

ODShowtime likes this.
  24. Tom Hakala

Tom Hakala Forum Resident

Ordered this and also the AYE US 2014 version.
    BTW, BOG is 32,81 € this weekend.

RiRiIII and Gordon Johnson like this.
  25. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Email reply from EH, after months.

They say I can't cancel any of my order cos it was a pre order and that means a final sale.

Only the 50th BOG was pre order. Other items were widely available current production. (ELL, Blues).

They still declined to give me any details whatsoever about the status of my order.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.