Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys 50th Anniversary AAA Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greenmonster2420, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

2. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

3. Butch1970

Butch1970 Forum Resident

This.
    I bought the 200g Classic around 2005, then shortly afterwards was gifted a numbered Classic copy (still sealed) from one of my friends at Sony NYC that I always assumed was 180g.

The first copy that I owned was the original lime green Capitol that I stole from my parents, followed by a dark green Capitol reissue that I bought in the 80's.

No idea with regards to the mastering on the version that came out on "Groovy Children" but to me the mix seemed improved.

4. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Well, there's some improved fidelity on the instruments, but it may come at a loss of vocal clarity. Sometimes the vocals seem a bit "hollow" in places. Maybe it's just me...

shadlet likes this.
  5. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

I have seen our host opine that the Classic is the ONLY flat transfer from the original master tapes, and member John Buchanan has said also that the Classic is from the same "DO NOT USE" master from which the original 1st pressing was sourced. Does anybody know if this new one is from that same "DO NOT USE" original tape, which should match the Classic, or from a different original analog master tape?

bluemooze likes this.
  6. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

It sounds like the same stampers that the Classics are from.

7. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

How does the current cheap Capitol vinyl issue sound? Is it a dog?

8. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

The Ron McMastered one on red vinyl?

Avoid.

9. kwadguy

kwadguy Senior Member

I think it's also available on standard black vinyl, right?

But, OK, that's what I figured.

10. Greenmonster2420

Greenmonster2420 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Way too early to say this one way or the other.

11. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Yeah, I'm going to preorder it anyway.

12. Greenmonster2420

Greenmonster2420 Forum Resident Thread Starter

Same, just not going to sell my Classic yet, lol.

IF the lacquers are really cut by GM, as Acoustic Sounds states, then the likely hood of it being the Classic stampers is very high. Marino died in 2012.

However, their email said Bernie, now they say Marino. EH said Kramer and now they deleted that and make no mention of who cut it.

jgrillo and The Gomper like this.
  13. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The Classic was mastered from the original “Do Not Use” analog master...okay, I’ll buy that. But the Classic was “flat” mastered? Color me VERY skeptical of that.

As an aside, people here put way too much emotional energy into album press releases. They’re just ad copy written by...well, not an sh.tv forum member with sh.tv level pedantic obsession (of which I can raise my hand in guilt at times, your honor).

Most of the time they get it mostly correct. But mistakes do get made by these folks who often probably really don’t even understand what they’re writing about. Or are writing about a project that hasn’t been finished yet (or maybe even started).

14. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That’s because he’s talking about the Classic.

15. Remember, this is a UMe/Capitol product. Gotta say, anytime I see UMe mentioned in the copy these days, I get a little uneasy.

Strat-Mangler, E.Baba and The Gomper like this.
  16. Grateful Griller

Grateful Griller Forum Resident

Just pre-ordered from Acoustic Sounds. Will make a nice compliment to the 'Machine Gun' release I picked up recently. I was tempted to go for the swirl but wasn't sure if QRP pressed it and would rather have a good pressing than a yellow/green wave on my turntable. Looking forward to getting this as reviews for the existing version of this on AS aren't great but I just couldn't pull trigger on full Songs for Groovy Children set.

Should be getting this around same time as the Cream Goodbye box set...My wife will be thrilled..NOT.:)

17. John D.

John D. Senior Member

I wanted to know about the colored vinyl too, so I emailed them and asked, here is their reply:

A customer support staff member has replied to your support request, #892807 with the following response:

John,
    QRP is pressing the cream, red, yellow and green swirl version.
    Thanks for your interest!

We hope this response has sufficiently answered your questions. If not, please reply to this email.

18. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

NICE

19. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

Spun my original copy of Band Of Gypsies the night of New Year's Eve before I went out, which seemed appropriate, as it was recorded on that night 50 years previous. What an album!

ODShowtime and andrewskyDE like this.
  20. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I wonder why Acoustic Sounds hasn't listed the colored vinyl.

Echoes Myron likes this.
  21. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

Good call. Buddy's vocals are right there, but Jimi's voice does have a little hollowness. Not all the time, just sometimes.

I pre-ordered the black version, 'cos I haven't had this record on vinyl in many years.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    The Gomper likes this.
  22. Echoes Myron

Echoes Myron Forum Resident

The website description said the colored vinyl was only available thru them.

ODShowtime likes this.
  23. John D.

John D. Senior Member

As stated @Echos Myron, Colored, Swirl vinyl only available thru Hendrix website. I checked it out and they want $29.98 + CA tax + $25.30 for release date delivery. I'm going w/ amazon for free release date delivery and Black Vinyl is fine with me.

Strat-Mangler and Echoes Myron like this.
  24. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

I understand what you are saying about press releases. But if you read my post, I specifically said that "our host" (meaning you know who, after whom this thread is named) has stated that the Classic versions are the ONLY flat transfers from original master tapes. So it wasn't a press release by some label. But go ahead and be skeptical of what SH himself has said if that works for you.

As for the part about the original "DO NOT USE" masters being the reels used for the Classic versions and the 1st US pressing, as well as the EH/Capitol and EH/Sony from 1997 LPs, I also specifically said that was from a fellow member John Buchanan who had posted a detailed breakdown of the different releases. I have seen his posts previously on other matters and he is one of the names that has struck me as pretty reliable over time.

In the end, neither of them has ever struck me as "folks" who "probably don't really understand what they're writing about". As for a project that hasn't been finished yet, like this one in particular, and being well aware of that fact, that would be the very reason why I am asking the question in the first place.

We've all been burned by EH before (and multiple times), most recently by the Blu-ray from the "Electric Ladyland" box in 2018, with its admittedly stellar 5,1 mix of the album, unfortunately paired with a compressed and loud high-rez 2.0 mix lazily tossed in hoping we wouldn't notice. And that's just most recently. We've seen it before with other EH releases over the last 25 years, almost always touting (once again) that "this time we REALLY fund the original masters. Given that track record, I frankly don't trust Janie or anyone else associated with EH until I see the proof in the pudding. Anymore. It's not like it's my first rodeo, after all. But if pressed from the Classic parts, then I sure trust our host, Steve Hoffman, as much or more than I will trust most other statements on the matter.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

The swirl vinyl $39.87 incl s&h +tax in VA if one is willing to wait a few days. And I am. It’s not as though I haven't heard the album before (and I have the Classic).

I was skeptical they would use the old Classic metal, but in light of the lacquer factory fire, nothing would surprise me now.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.