Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys 50th Anniversary AAA Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greenmonster2420, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I don’t think you actually read what I wrote. I know what you specifically said. And I specifically doubt that’s correct.

Are you sure our host said “cut flat”? Or did he just say they used the “Do Not Use” master? As I said, I doubt the former, but the latter is very plausible. I could be wrong, but cutting it flat just doesn’t seem likely at all.

I didn’t say there was anything wrong with asking the question. Or that the question isn’t valid. I was simply saying folks shouldn’t get twisted in knots over conflicting info given that the people that write the ad copy aren’t as obsessed with nuance as the people on this thread.

I partially agree with you EH’s track record. Yes, Electric Ladyland was a mess (except the 5.1 mix). But the vast majority of the EH vinyl over the years has done as well as almost any catalog. Quality pressings, nice packaging, and excellent mastering.

Last edited: Feb 11, 2020
    Jellis77 and weaselriot like this.
  2. weaselriot

weaselriot Forum Resident

Well that was our host SH that said that the Classic was the "only flat transfer", though I keep in mind that the term is sometimes more loosely used to refer to transfers that aim for that sound when truly and technically flat might not be the best result for tapes that are decades old. To me it means additional EQ or other adjustments are intended to be strictly ameliorative, and I usually take its meaning that way, meaning it should at least SOUND like a "flat transfer", even if it isn't, as opposed to boosted and jacked up in the quest for a different sound or to fix what isn't broken

The portion about the "DO NOT USE" tapes I do not recall coming from our host at all, but from this fellow member John Buchanan, whose opinions and reporting I have found to be reliable in the past.

Both posts that I referenced are from my notes from an earlier an earlier thread, likely contemporaneous with a search I did about a couple of years ago when researching the "Machine Gun" SACD from Analogue Productions. Neither is verbatim but in summary, and I am pretty careful not to mislead myself in adding that sort of thing to my notes. In the end, I don't know that our host uses flat transfers in the strictest sense of the term, but I think I know what he means in the broader sense more relevant to tapes that are decades old.

So far as EH vinyl those have been pretty good overall, at least the AAA ones. For example, IF the 2018 Grundman "Electric Ladyland" LP from the box set even beats the 2010 Kramer/Marino at all (and some say it doesn't), it doesn't win by much more than a nose (which I think it does in my estimation, having both). The digital releases I have found to be a bit more problematic, with the 2.0 mix on the 2018 Blu-Ray the only one that actually angered me, considering the sheer sloth undoubtedly involved in that decision for the money they were asking people to fling out.

3. marcb

marcb Senior Member

You’re using quotes for our host. Where is this quote? I have a very hard time believing he said this. I have a very hard time believing he used such language loosely - cut flat means cut flat (not cut flat except it wasn’t). And I have a very hard time believing it’s true.

I do not have a hard time believing someone misread or misunderstood what he said and started an urban legend (which I’m trying to keep from being perpetuated).

4. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Here is the only quote about the Classic Band of Gypsys I can find from our host:

The CLASSIC LP of Band Of Gypsies was cut from the original tape and sounds wonderful. Trouble is I never much liked the album to begin with. Nonetheless, if you do, this is the version to have. A keeper.

No mention of cut flat (or any of your evolving definitions). Nor is there any mention of a Do Not Use tape (although ‘original tape’ certainly implies the correct original tape - Do Not Use or otherwise).

5. weaselriot

I saw another with the words flat transfer used, and I will try t find it. My note of it was for my own use and reference in my database. Hut I did not use quotations because my note was not fully verbatim.

6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Just think about it. It’s simply hard to imagine that Band Of Gypsys sounds so good flat that a mastering engineer like George Marino would simply cut it flat.

7. Peachy

Peachy Forum Resident

I'm so in!

8. weaselriot

I quite agree, and not just concerning Marino. I think it's more of a broader shorthand term used to connote a transfer faithful to the original sound. Most of the time, I think strictly flat might even work a sonic disservice to many recordings, though I suppose there may be exceptions.

I did not actually intend quotes since my own note was not verbatim.

9. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Well I'm hoping they do use the Classic mastering and stampers.

I just lost my Classic and everything else in Australian bushfires.

Looked up the price the Classic is now selling for. Ordered this new one in both options, and a few other vinyl replacements from EH. I don't even have any gear or a home!

Whatever I think of some of their invented albums the actual product quality has always been good.

DangerousKitchen likes this.
  10. voxstarstream

voxstarstream Forum Resident

I ordered my color swirl vinyl from EH right away as I was paranoid it would sell out (like the Nirvana color vinyl exclusives).

Echoes Myron likes this.
  11. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

EH sold Nirvana color exclusives?!

12. voxstarstream

voxstarstream Forum Resident

No, the official Nirvana website did, just like the official Hendix site is selling color vinyl exclusives. The Nirvana ones sold out very quickly.

13. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

I feel like I am missing something here.

Song for groovy children includes all the songs from the original Band if Gypsy's album. It too is AAA like this new BOG release.

So what is the draw with this new release? Any specific reason to get it? Better mastering? Or nostalgia with the different track listing/flow?

Honest question here, I'll buy either way.

patrickd and pinkrudy like this.
  14. Flaming Torch

Flaming Torch Forum Resident

Sorry folks I have the cd box Groovy Children and the download but have not yet picked up the vinyl version. Is the vinyl Songs for Groovy Children AAA ?

15. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Better (AAA) mastering + it's the original album. In my opinion, while I'm grateful to have the complete version of Power of Soul on the Groovy Children box, the version of the song on the album with the edited intro is so damn powerful...

I have an original RL, the red McMaster, both CD versions, the Machine Gun 2 LP set and HD download, and the Groovy Children box on LP...and I'm in on this AAA Band of Gypsys version...

chris8519 likes this.
  16. chris8519

chris8519 Forum Resident

Got it thanks for explaining! Wanted to understand what specifically we get with this vs Groovy Children.

I personally grew up with the 1999 Filmore East album, not the original BOG album so listening in the original sequence (with the different versions) is foreign to me! Excited to have it.

17. The Gomper

The Gomper By Your Side?

Yessir!

18. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Was the 2010 EU reissue AAA? Is there any chance this new 50th reissue will use that mastering?
    There's also this 2010 EU reissue, said to be remastered by George Marino..

The discography for this recording is very confusing..

19. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

bump for input on this; it looks as if both 2010 EU reissues were remastered by Marino. I guess one question is whether or not that remastering was the same as that used for the Classic reissues

RiRiIII and Echoes Myron like this.
  20. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Not read past the first posts here.

So, if I'm repeating something already posted, apologies.

This/ these is/are from the same plates as was used for the 1997 pressings.

That was cut at Sterling Sound N.Y. and as far as I am aware at that point Sterling did not utilise all analogue cutters!

So, despite any claim otherwise, this/these does/do not meet AAA standard. For sure all analogue mastered but not cut!

21. Gordon Johnson

Be it Classic or MCA[or even AS/AP] on the sleeve, they all carry EK / GM either side of Sterling's stamp. All from the same plates so in theory all should sound as good as each other!

Yet and by a clear margin, the unissued Classic Clarity 200 gram is the definitive listen imo. Beats all my other copies, RL, Classic 180 and 200 Black etc.

These clarity pressings are still available but expect to pay £100/$130 for a copy.

22. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I saw this post which isn't from Steve but from a different member who states there is such a quote found if one does a search... yet, I wasn't able to find the actual quote.

Classic 140g - Jimi Hendrix - Band of Gypsies

23. Gordon Johnson

Looks like e AAA claim has been corrected! Maybe someone is reading what's posted :)

24. Corrected as in claiming it's all analog?

GentleSenator likes this.
  25. GentleSenator

GentleSenator what if

?????

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.