Jimi Hendrix Band of Gypsys 50th Anniversary AAA Vinyl

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Greenmonster2420, Feb 6, 2020.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

I love BOG but now that I have the boxset I see no reason to get this or the Classic Records version. I was considering the Classic as it is the last of the Henxrix Classic Records vinyl I dont have but the box x is so good I dont need anymore BOG. That is unless they release it again witth missing material from the 2 late shows. My guess is they will do a rerelease on HD Vinyl with the missing material once HD vinyl is viable and then We can finally have all 4 shows complete. If HD Vinyl does what they say it will they should be able to squeeze all of the missing material and what the have already released on 8 lps or less.

2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

My error, no change in that claim!
    My error as I checked via my phone!

I do wish all the pre release comment, even for rereleases was more accurate.

3. Gordon Johnson

Some times a specific title surpasses a more complete set and both can and do sit alongside of each other.

Its pleasing to see this reissued so soon after this excellent set.

I very much doubt we will see an actual "full" set of all four shows from EH.

misteranderson likes this.
  4. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Agree but I already have 2 CD copies of BoG and a vinyl copy of BOG to sit alongside my vinyl and cd boxset which also sits beside my LATFE cd and vinyl. Point is Im not buying this again unless they give me something I dont already have.......like the rest of the missing material.

5. Gordon Johnson

Having been looking into this pressing [again] over the last few days, digging out old articles etc and opening dialogue with a trusted "insider" ……..

I am now happy to change the claim I made from the above [post #95] and say this title is most likely to be an AAA cut release.

It is fascinating what turns up when dialogue takes place :)

6. marcb

marcb Senior Member

But you’re the only one using this term this way. That’s not broader shorthand.

I only challenged it because sure as anything, somebody someday who uses the term properly will read it and interpret in the proper sense...and then repeat it.

7. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

‘Scuse my ignorance, but why would it say “DO NOT USE” on the master tape that was used?

8. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Probably because a cutting master was supposed to be used instead. Saves time - and time is money.

DTK likes this.
  9. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

Considering the terrible reviews the 50th Electric Ladyland got, why are people assuming this will be any better. Is the vinyl version of the 50th Elec Lady better than the CD release?

Not that its relevant to this thread, but I am very happy with the Songs for Groovy Children release of the entire gig.

10. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Anyone wanna break the news?

11. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

What, that there are a few missing tracks?

12. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

The problem now is we can’t lock down exactly how many.

13. hbbfam

hbbfam Forum Resident

From what you all have said, it appears a few are missing. But most of the two nights appear to be there and sound really nice to me. Certainly nicer than my Band of G and fillmore CDs did .

14. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

As few as four and as many as nine?

It's not like 20 songs are missing. We know what format(s) in which these releases tend to take shape - four or five CDs, eight LPs. Experience Hendrix hasn't ever done a big vinyl box with more than eight LPs. CD 5 is only 29 minutes long. So, realistically, EH clearly had room for more on the CD side.

15. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

The 50th version, including the limited color version, was listed on the uDiscover website briefly, but neither version is listed there now. I'm guessing Experience Hendrix got up in their (Universal's) grill about listing it when EH is saying its only available through them. But who knows..

Anyway, while it was up on the uDiscover site, there was text referring to a "2010 remaster", which is why I was seeking more info on that here.

Last edited: Mar 9, 2020
  16. Gordon Johnson

No idea why they took it down, the yellow copy can be sourced from outlets other than EH!

Any claim of a 2010 remaster is wide of the mark. This goes back to the 1997 plates for sure.

All Down The Line likes this.
  17. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Not trying to be argumentative (you are way more qualified to comment on all things Hendrix than I am!) but it does say this on the Experience Hendrix website: "The limited color vinyl edition will be available exclusively through AuthenticHendrix.com."

Where else have you seen the color version listed as being available?

18. Gordon Johnson

Personally I've not!

But orders have been taken at outlets in the USA other than AH.

Fair to add, the album is now sold out! Can't imagine they would be thru individual orders.

19. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Yeah. I ordered my color version from uDiscover because of the 20% discount coupon. Order still says it’s confirmed but I’m not too confident of getting it though.

20. Gordon Johnson

While we wait ………………….. I put this up on the web page, here UPDATED: 24/03/2020. Updates to Release Date Reference and to reviews pages
    While on the page, check out the lovely shot of the two UHQR of Axis. Bold As Love :)

Don't know what the rest of you guys are doing but while in lock down I'm appreciating my set up with a lot of long not played vinyl, John Martyn repress of his classic Solid Air recording currently on the go.

But more on topic, able to sit with lots of additions, updates and corrections across the web site, here UPDATED: 24/03/2020. Updates to Release Date Reference and to reviews pages
    Yesterday had the first 10 years of Experience Hendrix vinyl release dates detailed, working on the Sony years right now but as I get bored I'll be dropping some more pics into the site though the rest of the day and coming weeks I suppose!

Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    bluemooze likes this.
  21. Clucking

Clucking Elixir of Life

Anyone know the status of this? My email confirmation from February said shipping on or around 3/25, and further emails said available 3/27. I click the "check status of order" link and put in my zip code and get an error. Anyone heard anything?

22. Gordon Johnson

Nope. But given current circumstances I'm unsurprised if there is a delay.

23. Greenmonster2420

Greenmonster2420 Forum Resident Thread Starter

I saw it in stock at elusive disc.

24. Sedwards

Sedwards Hyperactive!

I preordered the regular black vinyl from Musicdirect and got a shipping notice yesterday, but still getting a "pre-shipment" status when I click in the tracking link. Hopefully it'll actually go out this evening!

hi_watt likes this.
  25. mick_sh

mick_sh Hackney diamond

Just received an email from uDiscover. Color vinyl is delayed 3-4 weeks. Is Authentic Hendrix Store shipping it?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.