Jimi Hendrix Band Of Gypsys

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Wasatch, May 15, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. John Buchanan

John Buchanan I'm just a headphone kind of fellow. Stax Sigma

Band of Gypsys was released in the US in 2 different CD masterings:
    1. The first appeared in 1995 as the 25th anniversary CD (Capitol 96414 is the standard jewel case version, while the individually numbered mini-vinyl card variation of this same CD is Capitol DPRO 79534). This was the first time the album had officially been released on CD in the USA, under Alan Douglas’ control of the Hendrix Estate.
    2. In 1997, after the Hendrix family took control of the estate, Experience Hendrix released the Experience Hendrix/Capitol CD release (72434 -93446). The mixes used are the same but they appear to have been mastered from different stereo tapes.

The original 25th Anniversary CD issue was sourced from a safety copy of the master tape, not the original Eddie Kramer-mixed stereo master tape. The original master tape had been marked “Do Not Use” by EMI-Capitol Records (possibly because it had incurred some damage, while the copy was in good condition), so the copy-master was used for any versions on vinyl after the initial green label Capitol vinyl album. These releases sound like they are sourced from a copy tape - obvious bass and vocal distortion abounds (especially in Who Knows), along with very slight treble phase shift.

The new version remastered by EH/Eddie Kramer uses the “Do Not Use” tape (the original stereo master) and sounds much better than the Douglas version. The bass is excellent now and the treble and vocals are much clearer. The uneven fade up of the original Bill Graham introduction has been changed to a drop-in, and Eddie Kramer mentioned in an interview with Michael Fremer in Stereophile that some tape splices were re-trimmed. A minor caveat is the appearance of occasional soft crackling noises on the new release (e.g. at about 5 and 11 secs into Machine Gun in the left channel). I seem to remember these on the original 1970 Capitol (green label) vinyl (STAO 472 – released in April 1970), and bought several copies thinking - wrongly as it turns out - that they were pressing faults. These noises weren’t present on the Australian vinyl release (Polydor 2406-002), nor later U.S. Capitol (purple or red label) pressings, nor any prior CD I have heard (which includes 2 different Polydor CDs and the 1995 Capitol 25th). The copy-master, therefore, appears to have been used for most versions of Band of Gypsys beyond the original US vinyl issue, despite its generally inferior sound. I guess the crackling noises on the original Capitol vinyl release and the EH/Capitol release are sounds caused by some damage incurred to the original master tape, as these sounds appear to have already been present in 1970 on first release vinyl.

The US cover of this album is wonderful – a glorious retrospective trip through the amazing light shows of the past (see above), and it is easily my favourite album cover of all time. The EH/Capitol version includes all the original cover art, as well as a detailed essay on the history of the recording and the legal hassles surrounding its release, whereas the 25th Anniversary Edition simply replicated the original US vinyl cover in either a thin paper booklet or a mini vinyl cardboard rep
    lica. The prior Polydor releases, on both vinyl and CD, were both poorly reproduced and deleted the inside spread of the U.S. gatefold, as well as sounding substandard.

Band of Gypsys was also released in some countries in an alternative “Puppet” sleeve (the initial 1970 UK Track 2406002 or Australian Polydor 2406002 on vinyl and also the original Japanese vinyl and CD releases). This cover was a really sub-par Graphreaks effort and displayed no photos of the band (Graphreaks were also the designers of the really innovative The Who’s “Live At Leeds” cover originally released on Track Records 2406001 in the UK). The puppets are - clockwise from left - Brian Jones, Jimi Hendrix, Bob Dylan and John Peel. What 3 of the 4 had to do with Band of Gypsys is anyone’s guess. The cover preparation was the result of another executive decision at Track Records by Kit Lambert and Chris Stamp to change the original artwork for the UK release (for more of the same, see Electric Ladyland’s UK “electric lady” cover – hated by Jimi apparently - or the proposed artwork for Who’s Next). Later U.K. vinyl pressings and the CDs were based on blurry, non-gatefold reproductions of the original U.S. Capitol cover. Why someone of the reputation and sales record of Jimi Hendrix should have been treated so shoddily is simply beyond belief. I guess it has something to do with the legal ramifications of the ongoing PPX/Capitol vs Jimi Hendrix and Polydor court case.

The sound quality of the UK vinyl was never as good as that of the US, being cut at a sub-optimal volume and with rolled off bass and treble frequencies. This causes a poor vinyl signal to noise ratio in an already hissy recording. The Australian vinyl was cut at a standard level, even if it also had a little bass and treble roll off and used the same sub-par puppet cover. The audience laughing after his crack at the beginning of Machine Gun (“.....if we can get over this summer....nya ha ha”) was most audible on this release.

For sound quality, in order of preference, The Classic records vinyl reissue may be the best version (I haven’t heard this), followed closely by either the EH/Capitol or the identical sounding EH/Sony CD versions and then the Capitol 25th Anniversary CD and vinyl versions. The Australian vinyl version comes next and finally the UK Track/Polydor versions of this album are inferior (both on vinyl and CD) – unusual for Jimi Hendrix albums, where the Track/Polydor copies were usually much sought after for sound quality (e.g. Are You Experienced, Axis: Bold as Love and Electric Ladyland). The only caveat I found with original Capitol US vinyl was that it was always noisy (apart from the tape based noises mentioned above) in at least 3 copies I tried (possibly a legacy of the poor quality vinyl being used at that time). Otherwise, it could rank above the Capitol 25th, if you can find a mint green label and Robert Ludwig mastered pressing. Avoid the non-gatefold reissue from the 80s.
    Microsoft co-founder Paul Allen owns the multitrack tapes of the Band Of Gypsys performances at the Fillmore. It appears that he has allowed Experience Hendrix access to them for a 5.1 remix of the sound to match the only video of the performance on the 2011 version of the “Band Of Gypsys” DVD.

Copyright John Buchanan 2010

2. Tommyboy

Tommyboy Senior Member

It may be, but it doesn't sound like it for some reason.

3. Jimi Bat

Jimi Bat Forum Resident

thanks for the info john. this makes me think that maybe track never had access to the original master tape in the first place.just a guess on my part.

4. harmonica98

harmonica98 Senior Member

I have the green label RL and the 180g Classic. The Classic edges it to my ears, but really, you can't go wrong with either.

fluffskul likes this.
  5. cmndrums

cmndrums Forum Resident

I acquired a sealed BOG with Gold Record Stamp, white lettering at the bottom on back cover, and DJ cut-out at top right. Any chance this could be the red Capitol pressing with RL stamped in the deadwax? I have another red gold record stamp with red lettering at the bottom of the back cover. I noticed that my original RL stamped version is missing any Capitol information on the bottom of the back cover. I have too many versions of this awesome concert.

6. alfeizar

alfeizar Active Member

The matrix numbers on my copy are exactly the same, the sticker says its 150gr however. My copy does have a noisy start on both sides unfortunately (about 10secs of crackle). I also have a RL and both sound great, haven't compared them side to side but I don't imagine getting rid of any copy if I find I prefer one slightly over the other.

7. Turnaround

Turnaround Senior Member

Are all lime green label Band of Gypsys mastered by Robert Ludwig on both sides, or are there lime green Band of Gypsys which are not, or only one side RL? I am not including the Classic Records reissues.

This old thread mentions Band of Gypsys being released by The Capitol Record Club (with 8 prefix denoting Record Club, STAO-8-0472 instead of STAO-472), but I do not know what label that has.

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/was-band-of-gypsys-released-by-the-record-club.198528/

8. texquad

texquad Senior Member

I recently saw a Canadian BOG on Reprise, I never knew that existed.

9. texquad

texquad Senior Member

I have a Capitol red label issued by the RCA record club. Would that be the same as the Ludwig?
    I have another recent Capitol green label that's numbered. I take it that's not Ludwig?

10. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Finally did a test listen to these and the re-issue Capitol green sounds inferior to the Capitol red. I'm wondering if the red is the same as the RL?

11. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

John, when are you going to put all this knowledge into a book or website?

fluffskul likes this.
  12. John Buchanan

Thanks PJ! I've only done a couple of albums as extensively as this one - Blind Faith is another one that I'll periodically update.

13. texquad

texquad Senior Member

I'd like clarification.
    So are the first pressings Capitol green gate fold w/RL Sterling in the dead wax the only way to get this pressing?
    And this forum seems to be split between that original & Classics as far as which one sounds better.
    I used to own an original, but must have sold it when I first purchased the Polydor CD. I even had a Track "Isle of W" cover but sold it off too.
    So now I've just purchased the Classics and also a Capitol red vinyl just for fun and even a Japanese "Puppet" knockoff for $20.
    BTW-I currently have a Capitol red label RCA press that sounds very good (copy of RL?) compared to the crappy Douglas/Capitol numbered edition.
    I'll soon have a BOG listening party!

14. John Buchanan

No vinyl at home anymore - it's long gone. Some comments from memory, however. The Capitol vinyl of the 70s wasn't great - recycling of vinyl ruled the day and there was often plenty of surface noise. Band Of Gypsys was particularly bad for some reason. However, the sound of the album was far better than any Track/Polydor version, which was obviously prepared from a tape many generations away from the Capitol. The Classic version should be at least as good as the RL green label, with the bonus of better vinyl.
    On CD, the EH remaster is the best - no contest, IMHO. It would have been even better without the compression, although that isn't as marked as on FROTNRS.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  15. Meatface

Meatface Forum Resident

I have the 150g Classic & a green RL Capitol. Both sound great but I'll give the nod to the RL because it has a little more magic in the midrange. Also, the Classic was a crackly out of the wrapper but got much better after a cleaning.

16. texquad

texquad Senior Member

Thanks guys!
    So I'll probably hang with my Classic unless I find a RL for cheap. Still wondering about the bastard child that RCA record club version with the red Capitol label that sounds very good.
    Here's my take on the CD's I think that the Sony remaster is slightly superior to the E.H. MCA. It's not quite as loud and and the high end isn't as piercing either.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  17. voxstarstream

voxstarstream Forum Resident

I have two different lime green Capitol originals. One has just "RL" on both sides in the matrix (dead wax); the other has both "RL" and "LH" on both sides. Both versions have "STERLING" machine-stamped on both sides. The "LH" version has a promo hole in the top right corner of the cover (standard practice for Capitol at the time to designate promos).

18. voxstarstream

voxstarstream Forum Resident

I was always under the impression that the MCA and the SONY EH CD's were the same (re)masters. If you say it's less harsh (hopefully meaning not as brickwalled) then I may seek this one out. I'm curious to see the EAC peaks on these.

19. riverrat

riverrat Senior Member

Bumping this thread to ask: Is there any way to tell which version (140, 150, 180, 200) of the 1997 Classic BOG I bought today, aside from weighing it?

STERLING stamp EK & GM.
    Matrix ST-472-A1 / ST-472-B2

Based on my other heavier vinyl pressings, I'm guessing it is the 150g version. There was no booklet and no numbered sticker. I paid $12.

One side is pretty dusty but otherwise it looks to be in nice condition. After I give it a cleaning, I'll compare to my purple label (late 70s? early 80s) pressing.

20. RockShowTrader

RockShowTrader New Member

I just bought the Classic Records 200 Gram and it has the same Sterling EK & GM stamp and matrix numbers as yours does. It is also a non-numbered edition with no booklet. My understanding was the 140 and maybe the 180 were numbered editions and the 200 was not - but I could be wrong. I think the 150 gram is non-existent.

21. the sands

the sands Forum Resident

I have an 180 gram of "Band of Gypsys" reissue from the 90s. It's great sounding with a nice booklet. I think all the original Hendrix albums were reissued on vinyl in the late 90s. My only regret is that I only got "Band of Gypsys" and "Are You Experienced" of those.

22. multirock

multirock Forum Resident

Today I received a green label Capitol. It has Sterling on both sides, but RL just on side two.
    Compared to my first German Polydor I think they are very close. I'm a bit dissapointed with the green Capitol. Afert all the reading about this pressing I though it's gonna be a great upgrade. But no, just a bit more definition in the treble. The German has more clarity, and better mids.
    After a couple of A/B I choose the German over the Capitol.

marcfeld69 likes this.
  23. Louis Kirsch

Louis Kirsch Forum Resident

I've got the 180 gram CR and the original UK Puppet cover and don't really have a preference but usually play the puppet just cause I can ;)

marcfeld69 likes this.
  24. marcfeld69

marcfeld69 Forum Resident

Thanks to Steve for reopening this thread.

Curious to what the difference is between a Polydor Classics BOG and the previous Classics entry on Discogs. I know there are different weights. One of the seller for this one actually says/think it's a rare mono mix (??):

Jimi Hendrix - Band Of Gypsys (Vinyl, US, 1997) For Sale | Discogs

25. fluffskul

fluffskul Would rather be at a concert

This is the first time I've EVER seen BoG mono referenced. I think the seller is confused.

E.Baba and marcfeld69 like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.