Jimi Hendrix - Berkeley 1st Show May 30th 1970 - Complete Soundboard

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by KCLizard, Nov 25, 2019.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. kevin5brown

kevin5brown Analog or bust.

Thanks for posting this. I also have the Radioactive CD, and now I won't go look for this version. ;)

2. kevin5brown

I don't buy this excuse any longer. I've come to believe that physical formats will only ever constitute less and less revenue for companies like this. Plus, each year that goes by that something like this isn't released, less and less people will be alive to actually buy it an enjoy it. What are they waiting for? Seriously?

DTK likes this.
  3. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

If they were not holding material back, this would all be released by now.

Look how many years they held the Band of Gypsies material back and still have not released all of it.

4. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

You're absolutely right, but how many major live Hendrix releases should Experience Hendrix do every year? There are already dozens of official live Hendrix albums, and with two months' lead time for each release, digital and vinyl, and so on, it could take some time. It's much easier for bootleg labels to turn this stuff out. EH, like Apple with Beatles releases, tends to put out one big thing every year.

Stages and Lifelines were Alan Douglas productions. I missed both of them, so naturally I'd love EH to pick it up and do something with San Diego, LA Forum (both nights), and naturally, both Berkeley gigs, though people would complain about one of them being released by EH already.....

5. Greenalishi

Greenalishi Birds Aren’t Real

I'd love this set to come out officially. Cool setlist.

6. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The could have easily reissued this if they wanted. Some of it has already been released across multiple releases and just not released as complete shows like the San Diego and LA 1969 shows. The shows on Stages and Lifelines were not complete. Parts of Berkeley first show and soundcheck have not been officially released at all. I have had a bootleg of the complete Berkeley material for about 35 years. They would just need to release the complete Berkeley first show and soundcheck together since the second show was already released.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2019
  7. misteranderson

But they haven't yet, for whatever reason.

Experience Hendrix started in 1996/97, around that time. They've released a metric ton of stuff. Royal Albert Hall might be next, but it probably wouldn't be 'til next year at this time. And maybe Maui in 2021. I'm not even considering the Dagger Records avenue, which hasn't been pursued in a while.

What motivation would EH have to start turning out something every two or three months?

8. classicrocker

classicrocker Life is good!

3 CD 2001 boot on Marshall Recordings with both shows and sound check. Love the Soundcheck and hope they someday release this with the 1st show officially

[​IMG]

misteranderson, texron and tug_of_war like this.
  9. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

When EH first released the Berkeley DVD, the complete second show was included as a bonus. The second show was also available on CD, but if you purchased the DVD that reduced the incentive to buy the CD. The smart thing to do would have been to include both shows on CD since you would be missing the complete first show if you just purchased the DVD.

John Fell likes this.
  10. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

The question which needs to be asked is why are they holding this back at all ? The Berkeley first show and soundcheck could have been released anytime during the last 49 years and it hasn't. According to the book Setting The Record Straight the original plan was to release a Berkeley highlights album to accompany the film footage of Jimi Plays Berkeley but the live album project evolved into Hendrix In The West. The complete San Diego and LA shows could have been released anytime in the last 50 years and they haven't. Instead the various Hendrix regimes keep releasing various permutations of material from the Isle of Wight, Woodstock and Band of Gypsies for example.

11. vinyldreams

San Diego '69 and LA '69 were released under the Douglas regime as part of Stages, Lifelines, and Concerts.

12. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I know and they were not complete on Stages and Lifelines. They have never officially released the complete San Diego and LA 1969 shows all in one place over all of these years. Much of this material is now out of print and awaiting complete show reissues by the Experience Hendrix regime.

13. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

[​IMG]

tug_of_war likes this.
  14. vinyldreams

Oh yeah, Tax Free from LA '69 was missing the drum solo and Foxy Lady, San Diego also FL. Concerts had Foxy from LA.

15. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Yes I have had a similar cd bootleg release for about 30 years.

16. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

Exactly. Foxy Lady from LA 1969 was a cd only reissue bonus track on Concerts.

17. misteranderson

Fair enough, but there's only been one Hendrix regime for the last (almost) 25 years. I can't blame EH for anything that happened between 1971 and 1996. If we have anything in a more complete version than existed before '96, it's thanks to Experience Hendrix.

I don't actively collect Hendrix bootlegs, though I do have a few.

Obviously, EH doesn't operate like the Grateful Dead, or Robert Fripp/King Crimson. It's too bad they don't, but it could be worse.

18. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

EU 50 copyright expiration for the three unpublished 1st show songs occurs Jan. 1, 2021.

Look for an EH release by the end of 2020.

What better opportunity for Janie, McDermott and Kramer to bundle both Berkeley shows together into a box and make fans buy the 2nd show again in order to get the 1st show (and soundcheck)? :D

John Fell and vinyldreams like this.
  19. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

However, either regime could have released the complete shows and elected not to do it. Neither regime elected to release the complete Berkeley first show and soundcheck yet. Both regimes just issued bits and pieces of it. I blame both regimes equally.

PacificOceanBlue likes this.
  20. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I believe they can get around the copyright expiration by uploading (publishing) it to Youtube for a day and then taking it down. The Rolling Stones and Beatles have both done that with rare outtake and live material.

I wouldn't be surprised at all if they bundle the dvd of Jimi Plays Berkeley and the second show with the first show and soundcheck when and if they release it.

21. monkboughtlunch

monkboughtlunch Senior Member

Interesting! What Stones and Beatles content was YouTube only?

22. anth67

anth67 Purveyor of Hogwash

Funny, I never thought mine was a bootleg (till now?)!, I assumed it was a back door release a la the Dagger Records stuff and never investigated further. Says "Manufactured under licence [sic] from the Michael Jeffery Estate" at bottom right. And has a pretty extensive liner note essay spanning the inner gatefold.

Mine does not include "Star Spangled Banner" and "Purple Haze," so apparently an older version per above. But I quite enjoy it. No Bill Graham. Begins with a couple warmup guitar stabs & brief tuning, then Jimi's intro, "Forget about tomorrow and yesterday...."

23. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I don't recall the Beatles material but in the Stones case it was alternate takes and unreleased tracks from Their Satanic Majesties Request and Beggars Banquet.

DTK likes this.
  24. kevin5brown

I didn't track down the new soundboard version, and I didn't just finish up listening to it, but it sounds pretty darn good! I could quibble that I think the low end could be toned down a smidge, but the sound quality is just fantastic! Just a shame that this isn't officially available.

25. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Came to this sleeping thread while investigating Berkeley options. Of the several I've heard clearly the best is the 3cd set on 'Marshall Recordings', with both shows and the soundcheck.

Any disagreements on that? Would be happy to find something better, but I doubt that exists...

[​IMG]

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.