Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Never bought any music from Barnes and Noble, but the location not far from me was kind of enough to hold me one of their limited purple vinyl copies of BSOTS...picking it up tomorrow morning! Can't wait to crank it up!

J.Lucas likes this.
  2. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

There's 240 pages on McCartney's new album that hasn't even been announced!!

Fox67 likes this.
  3. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

There is this one - complete 690224 concert (and more):

The Jimi Hendrix Experience - The Last Experience

Not superb sound/mix, but very good.

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Maidenpriest and David67 like this.
  5. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I thought a very interesting point was on if they'd think about doing a remix of the first three albums, and John's point was even if you have Steven Wilson do his wonderful work, Jimi's not here to sign off on it. I think that's a demarcation line: if Jimi OK'd it and it was released while he's alive, it stays as it is. Anything after he passed away...well, it's an open question apparently.

Hopefully will get an email later today saying Amazon can send out an autorip link. They've been available for most of them, but not all (I don't remember one for Miami)

Maidenpriest likes this.
  6. Cokelike-

Cokelike- Forum Resident

So, he was saying No to future remixes of the core 3? If so, that's pretty lame. We'll never get a 5.1 of ELL? That's just leaving money on the table. Besides they already basically remixed Purple Haze for the Rock Band video game IIRC. Sure, it's not like it is some drastically different mix (or even on a CD), but did JH approve that remix? I don't think so. Seems silly to draw the line at remixing when so much other questionable things have been allowed to happen.

tedhead and Maidenpriest like this.
  7. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Can someone point me in the direction of the "Both Sides of The Sky" thread, because this looks nothing like it anymore...

8. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

If the demarcation point is Jimi being alive to sign off, there shouldn't have been any new product released. What a ridiculous statement...

Thank you to those who managed to brave the weather here in the tri-state area to bring us their impressions.

J.Lucas, Maidenpriest and weavzy like this.
  9. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

They've released an awful lot of Jimi material in the last 48 years without his consent. Why stop at the core 3??

10. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

That's what I mean. The core three are somehow sacred ground, but, it's entirely fine that we'll release every take he ever recorded leading up to those songs on said albums (not that I mind!)

There are high-res versions of the first two coming out later this year, in fact. I'm personally beyond excited, but, who signed off on those? Maybe Jimi wouldn't have agreed with the amount of dynamic compression applied, or the EQ choices for the SACD...

Maidenpriest likes this.
  11. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

There is nothing wrong with sound quality of "The Last Experience" maybe the sound check tracks are lesser quality but what I bought the set for sounds good to me..

12. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

Are the soundcheck tracks from the studio (was it Olmstead? Olympic?) in Feb. '69, or is it the actual soundcheck from earlier that day in the venue?

Last edited: Mar 8, 2018
  13. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

14. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Funny you say that, at the signing for Voodoo Child at Virgin Records back in 2001, Eddie told me they were working on a 5.1 for Electric Ladyland (where is it? Your guess is as good as mine). Now that wouldn't be a new mix per se: levels would remain the same, no other parts would be added in or taken out. You're just taking what's there and spreading it out, but it would be a different presentation. I take it they mean they wouldn't be going back to the original masters of the released songs and redoing them from scratch. What's the difference between that and doing what they're doing to the unreleased songs? YMMV.

15. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

Your comment can also be reworded (by shifting the word "awful") as:

They've released a lot of awful Jimi material in the last 48 years without his consent.

16. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

As long as Jimi's mixes stay in print what does it matter, how can ethics apply to this and nothing else released and yet they pro-tool different takes together :( so if they cared about Jimi's wishes they would release the songs as recorded or demo'ed, I think personally they are too scared to do it because the originals are so iconic and they know they can not improve what was done in the sixties and this 'Hendrix didn't sign off' is a poor excuse !!

Billy_Sunday and oneway23 like this.
  17. smoke

smoke Forum Resident

I think that actually nails it - there hasn't been much need to remix them!

That said, after hearing the Sgt. Pepper remix I would love to hear what they could do with the original tapes.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  18. oneway23

oneway23 Forum Resident

I think, yes, as long as the original mixes stay in print, why not offer 5.1 as an alternative with a stereo remix as a double set for each of the core albums (including first rays)?

tedhead and Maidenpriest like this.
  19. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Just out of curiosity, how many people turned up for this, and how long did it last? I was hoping it would be postponed - it didn't stop snowing in the Philadelphia area until 5, and I had almost a foot of snow to deal with. Plus heading north I would have been following the storm so I gave up. I'd accidentally double-booked myself anyway - I had a ticket for OMD in Philadelphia so I settled for British synth pop - about as polar-opposite from Jimi as you can get :laugh:

20. RockDude4492

RockDude4492 Forum Resident

I shelled out $15 for the CD, which seems typical for event merch so I wasn’t too bummed.

It was supposed to be a small event regardless, but I’d say there was no more than 40 people there. It was a cool venue to have this at.

Probably better that you didn’t trek out here. I will say going home almost negated any fun I had. It was super slushy out and all the trains were moving slowly. Just glad I’ll have some “new” Hendrix to crank when I get home from work today.

21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's the soundcheck from earlier in the day at Albert Hall. Since that release, more soundcheck tracks have surfaced (none officially released).

22. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

Thank you for going to the trouble for which most of us couldn't do:

23. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Brilliant, cheers for this :)

24. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Normal service will be resumed when we all get this in our hands tomorrow.

EVOLVIST, Sharp 1080 and scotti like this.
  25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Those laws don't help the RAH film stuff any.

I'm more interesting on the film owner having to pay a court order $5mil legal settlement to Sly Stone. Idea being that he'd need a cash injection and out comes the RAH Blu-ray.

kees1954 likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.