Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

Yep...but I don't think it ever aired on TV when the series was shown...and it's not in the Blues DVD set of the series either

2. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

It did air on PBS. At least in the area I lived at the time.
    I recorded it to VHS along with the rest of the series. I
    know there are some PBS specials and programs that
    only broadcast in certain regions. A few years ago
    Austin City Limits didn't air on my local PBS affiliate.
    Even though it is one of PBS's most wellknown
    programs. May have been a broadcaster's fee
    issue. Whatever it was, it has been resolved and
    I can enjoy ACL every Saturday like the majority
    of the country.

I'm going to go hide in the bushes for being way
    off-topic to the thread subject. :D

J.Lucas likes this.
  3. Gauth

Gauth Forum Resident

Also, if anyone cares, "Hendrix and the Blues" (from the Purple Box 2005 bonus DVD) is the same documentary than what's on the "Blues" 2010 reissue DVD, but in lesser quality. I have compared both side-by-side, and there's some heavy dot crawl that's not present on the "Blues" version. The only other difference besides video quality, is that the Purple Box DVD includes some extras. 3 live performances, and a discography. 'Johnny B. Goode' from Berkeley, 'Red House' and 'In from the Storm' from IOW. All of which can be found in much better quality on their proper DVD/Bluray releases.

Imgur

(can't seem to make images embedded..)

J.Lucas and Purple Jim like this.
  4. Wayne Hubbard

Picked two images from your link @Gauth

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Gauth likes this.
  5. Gauth

Gauth Forum Resident

Thanks, Wayne. Don't know what happened there, I usually have no problem uploading pictures...

I don't see them from my mobile right now, but I assume they appear in a regular desktop browser. Although I usually see attached pictures even on my mobile. Strange.

Sorry for the derail, but at this point...

6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

[​IMG]

That documentary was originally screened in the USA as a 15 minute programme and part of the Martin Scorsese Presents The Blues series.
    How long is it on the DVD?

7. Gauth

Gauth Forum Resident

Both are exactly 29:30.
    How's the quality on that one, Jim?

One review on Amazon states that this version runs just under 16 minutes, as you said. So I'm wondering what footage was added on mine to run twice longer.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  8. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

Yeah...one review says it was pulled due to some 'sax' player suing for using his playing on an out take track..
    Could this be why the sax is mixed out on 'Georgia Blues'?
    https://www.amazon.com/Hendrix-the-Blues-DVD/dp/B000XHJUGA#customerReviews
    --
    what is the running time for the version that came with the Blues CD/DVD edition?
    a 30mt. doc isn't bad....when just about all the EH CD/DVD editions run anywhere from 7 to 15mts.
    I think the BBC sessions DVD is the longest....and they didn't even give us the complete Lulu show.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2018
  9. Gauth

Gauth Forum Resident

Hi J! We meet again, haha. We exchanged a few messages over at CTT on this very subject a few months ago! As I said in my previous post, both versions clock in at exactly 29:30. (The "Purple box" one, and the "Blues" one). I don't have the version listed on Amazon, though. I'm not sure I understand this guy's review either... It's only 15 minutes and it was pulled, but then it's 30 minutes everywhere else and no problems?

J.Lucas likes this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

No idea. I've never seen it.

Gauth likes this.
  11. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

Ok...yeah....I remember the 'dot matrix' bit....the Amazon thing seems to be some sort of Best Buy promo...
    it's only $1.85(used)
    --
    Didn't we go into the edit and running time differences of' The Making of Electric Ladyland' DVDs
    between the Classic Records version and the EH version 'At Last The Beginning'?
    --
    as far as BSOTS....I know some people say that the Stills tracks are out of place...but I think most of us knew this releases was just session out takes and demos....the track that doesn't belong(to me) is the 'Power of Soul'
    I mean it's the only completely finished/polished and signed off by Hendrix track...it just seems way out of place on this compilation.
    Glad to have have it...I wonder why Hendrix never put out a LP of all the finished BOG studio tracks...
    He put out the single in early '70...he could have bought time by releasing a BOG LP during the summer.
    the way it is now all the studio BOG tracks are scattered all over the place.

Gauth likes this.
  12. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

After some comments and reviews about that Purple Box here and there recently I just ordered a copy of it (new and sealed, probably 2013 reissue) few hours ago.
    Description says the DVD is not included there though.

J.Lucas likes this.
  13. klaw

klaw Forum Resident

The Purple Box is essential. Worth it for the intrumental "Bold as Love" demo alone!

Jimi Bat, marklamb and andrewskyDE like this.
  14. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

Just received a sealed copy from USA, and my wondering is that it is in a sealed plastic bag, not in a shrinking wrap as I am convinced to have seen in various photos of sealed copies.
    American friends, is it legit this seal or someone is cheating me?

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

15. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

Looks like a returned copy/resold copy....someone probably got it home played it, didn't like it, then got their money back.
    Of course this is just my speculation.
    You won't regret it...and you get the 4 extra tracks on that version.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  16. andrewskyDE

andrewskyDE Island Owner

I'm excited! Thanks. Also checked the tracklist on several pages related to that reissue just to be sure those extra tracks are on it.

Maidenpriest likes this.
  17. Gauth

Gauth Forum Resident

Nope, well that wasn't with me if you did. Although you remind me I have too many versions of that doc, and never have compared them yet. I have both DVDs you mention, and I also taped it from TV back when I was in high school around 2004. Back when MusiquePlus (Much's french version in Canada) actually broadcasted good MUSIC, and not this reality TV/dating ****.

18. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

At least they made it into the next century, we lost MTV sometime in the early 90s.

Gauth likes this.
  19. Chris Desjardin

Chris Desjardin Senior Member

I
    Got
    Mine from B&N, and the loose wrap is the same as your photo. My purple Electric Ladyland from B&N was the same way. I think yours is fine.

Giorgio likes this.
  20. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

You are right.
    After a more accurate check (Ebay only), I found that actually ALL sealed copies on sale (purple and black version) are like mine, so, I'm happy I was wrong.

21. followmehome

followmehome Forum Resident

I'd be more bothered by the knackered corners of the sleeve than the cellophane!

Giorgio likes this.
  22. Giorgio

Giorgio Forum Resident

At this point, agreed!

23. Wayne Hubbard

That is how I have seen the last 4 or 5 LPs that EH have released packaged.

Giorgio likes this.
  24. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Power of Soul always seems like the stepchild compared to Message Of (To) Love. That one ended up on VS and both box sets. PoS ends up cut up on SSD, on a vinyl B-side and now here. It’d be nice at some point to get them together again. I think of th as an A and B side of an unreleased single.

Freek999 and slane like this.
  25. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

All the BSOTS marketing and some needless post production run contrary to that assumption. Making your own track listings shouldn't be a requirement to fully enjoy an artists catalog.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.