Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

I know, but if the guitar, bass, and drums are all from May 17 '69, that's not too bad, as far as Frankensteins (which I am generally opposed to) go.

anth67 likes this.
  2. thrivingonariff

thrivingonariff Forum Resident

Thanks, though sorry to hear that! (You have to draw a line somewhere with this stuff, and that crosses it for me.)

DTK and anth67 like this.
  3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

The Jimi Hendrix site pushed the news item about the Mannish Boy/Trash Man vinyl single to the top of the news section, I would guess to make people aware of it for Record Store Day tomorrow. Now this is the third time Trash Man has come out from behind the Dagger curtain: back in 2010 as a bonus on the Target edition of Valleys of Neptune (Slow Version was on it as well), on the vinyl release of Hear My Music on Record Store Day three years ago and now this. May I suggest Sony and EH give into the temptation: take Hear My Music, slap the Legacy label on it and put it out there for anyone to get a hold of at any time. You know you want to. Just do it.

4. Fred68

Fred68 Loves Music

Someone facetiously commented here once that before long EH will be re-releasing Crash Landing and Midnight Lightning. "These controversial albums, unavailable for Thirty Years, present an alternate history of Jimi's artistic vision".

5. John Harchar

2025 ain't that far away for the 50th anniversary...

Fred68 likes this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Huh? What about the stunning "Look Over Yonder", "Bleeding Heart", "Midnight", "Tax Free", "STP LSD (remix)" and "Drifter's Escape"?
    Perhaps you mean that the previous releases of those tracks had better sound quality?
    > P.S. I prefer the Loose Ends version of "Drifter's Escape".

7. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

I think he meant tracks on South Saturn Delta that were not previously released.

Purple Jim likes this.
  8. John Harchar

JF is correct, I was talking about the new songs, that's why I put the line about SSD being a repository of tracks from other albums. South Saturn Delta had been on the radio show, but just a less than 3 minute snippet. This version of Midnight Lightning was brand new and is currently the only studio version officially in release. Everything else had either been previously released or was an alternate take/mix/version.

They do need to get the other mix of DE out, the one from SSD originally appeared (guess where?) on the radio show. Speaking of, we still need the One Rainy Wish alternate mix and Rainy Day Shuffle rereleased, but that's another conversation for elsewhere...

Purple Jim and John Fell like this.
  9. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Got an email about this today. Mannish Boy is kinda weak but Trash Man is on of my fave Hendrix instrumentals.

10. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

Check out the differences between the EU and US single:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

The Beave and fredhammersmith like this.
  11. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

They don't need to do all these terrible 'Frankensteined' version the unaltered original tracks are interesting enough it is just messing with Hendrix's art :( much worse than what Douglas was doing at least he was asked and paid to make commercial 'new product' viable albums at a time when it was needed to add to the discography and keep the legend alive, there is plenty of Hendrix now and Jimi's legend and place in history is assured that they could of just released the tracks as they were originally recording and it will make no difference to sales etc, what EH have done is 40 years to late, new 'studio' albums are not needed just honest archival compilations and has not added anything and now is just a confusing mess, nothing sounds better on this so called trilogy than what was original recorded IMO :(

Last edited: Apr 23, 2018
    DTK likes this.
  12. marcb

marcb Senior Member

:confused: Are these vinyl or digital?

13. John Harchar

That's all vinyl, single hasn't been released on CD. Wow, that's a difference.

The Beave and J.Lucas like this.
  14. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

If its vinyl are these an accurate determination of sound quality though because of needle, hardware factors etc, where they recorded with the same set up etc ?

15. marcb

marcb Senior Member

That’s what I thought. But the US waveform looks like no needledrop waveform I’ve ever seen - vinyl playback isn’t that hard limited. Something doesn’t seem right to me.

My first question is how did someone in Chicago get the EU 45 just 2 days after RSD? My second question is what is the dead wax info of each?

Maidenpriest likes this.
  16. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

Both vinyl(of course)...exact same setup, volume,etc
    ---
    these audio files were sent to me from a friend to show me the difference in mastering between the 2 versions
    and the audio differences, there appears to be an volume unbalance in the EU version

17. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Something's not right with both of those. The US looks mono, and cut so loud that it overloaded the phono input used to record it to digital (but not the program recording it). The EU looks out of phase.

thrivingonariff likes this.
  18. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

I think your getting the Lover Man/Foxey Lady single mixed up withe the 'new' 'Mannish Boy/Trash Man' single
    the original single came out about a month ago
    I don't have that info.....tho' I may be able to get it for you
    ---
    if anyone would like to compare them..PM me as I can't post licks here for them.
    they are in .WAV format

19. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Your friend messed something up with the US transfer.

I’ve got the US 45. I’ll bet if I do a needledrop of it (out of town until this weekend), the waveforms won’t look like those above.

But you’re right, there is a significant channel balance difference between the US and EU. The US looks suspiciously like the L-R were summed...

20. marcb

marcb Senior Member

Yes I am. :magoo: But I still think something is messed up with the transfer of the US copy.

21. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

As far as he told be he didn't record them at top volume...but the US is definitely louder and 'clipped' in my observation.

22. marcb

marcb Senior Member

I’m not saying there couldn’t be some clipping and/or limiting with the digital source or hard limited during cutting.

But that looks like all hard digital limiting, not analog vinyl limiting. Honestly it looks a lot like it was summed, recorded too loud with a ton of digital overs, and then normalized.

Apples and Oranges.

slane likes this.
  23. marcb

marcb Senior Member

FWIW Discogs shows what appear to be different matrices for the US and EU versions. So it’s entirely possible they were mastered and/or cut differently.

But I’m skeptical of using those waveforms to draw any conclusions about either.

24. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

here's what I was sent:
    Both transfers were done on the same set up, back to back.
    The only difference being that the EU copy could not be clamped
    on the TT as it has a large centre hole. It is not perfectly flat on playback.

The clipped waveform is not representative of the vinyl recording of course.
    That the recording levels were not adjusted simply highlights how much the
    mastering levels differ between the EU and US pressings.
    But the interesting point is the lower volume levels on one side of the the EU pressing.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  25. marcb

marcb Senior Member

"The clipped waveform is not representative of the vinyl recording of course"...then what exactly is it representative of?

Regardless, the waveforms for the US pressing are not flat, unclipped transfers. There was something between the phono stage and the recording to digital file that introduced digital clipping and/or there was digital manipulation of the file after recording. No needledrop looks like that.

I don't think it's a coincidence the peaks for both songs on both pressings are similar...

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.