Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

How do you know?

Matthew Tate likes this.
  2. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Midnight Lightning is an absolute highlight of IOW. Sure, the guitar is a bit out of tune at the start, but the performance sums up Jimi's state of mind perfectly. And it's the only live performance of the song we have.

3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

It is a pretty good representation of the show: a little off, sometimes inspired, sometimes falling apart. I think it's the only stand alone live version of it, so that's one more thing in its favor. If I'm doing the single disc thing though, I'd probably lose it, or else use an edit of Machine Gun to fit it.

DTK likes this.
  4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I'd definitely keep it on a single disc configuration. Few of the "standards" rate for me...all feel rushed and unemotional - Hey Joe/Putple Haze/Voodoo Child etc.

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  5. John Harchar

Yeah, I'd leave all those off, Voodoo Child was the closest one to being above ordinary and then it just...stops.

DTK likes this.
  6. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

It's interestring historically but it's so painful. Maybe a sort of journalistic value but... ugh. That goes for the entire IOW gig in fact.

kanakaris and PacificOceanBlue like this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. I think the IOW version of Midnight Lighting is a plodding mess.

Purple Jim likes this.
  8. John Harchar

And for those who think we've veered off topic (In a Hendrix thread? Never.), had Jimi sung the second verse, it would have likely contained the phrase...Both Sides of the Sky.

jhm and DTK like this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I dunno, it gets to me emotionally. "Feel like I got run over by public opinion and the past"; there you have his state of mind and part of the reason he didn't survive September in London. And then just lets out a desperate scream. Utterly heartwrenching.

EVOLVIST and E.Baba like this.
  10. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, it is heartwrenching, sad, distressing. I get that one time but I can only go back to it once every 10 years or so.

kanakaris and DTK like this.
  11. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

McDermott - either setting the record straight or Ultimate Hendrix.

Prof. Stoned says:
    Hendrix had the single version recalled because he wanted more bass.

12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I tired to look for that info in Ultimate Hendrix, but I don't think McDermott actually says when Mitch did his overdubs to any of the tracks. I recall something about an "undocumented session".
    Similarly there's no proof at all that Jimi had the single recalled.
    Not trying to be hard on you, but that's the truth.

13. John Harchar

There's been some question if Mitch actually dubbed the drums in June as UH says or did it later on with the rest of the posthumous overdubs (edit-like DTK just said). Maybe the promised updated edition of UH will have more info regarding this.

DTK likes this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It's da blues man, and Jimi had some real blues that August night. I don't find it distressing, rather an expression of pure emotion. I find the tossed of versions of the old hits much worse, because it's so clear he has absolutely no interest in playing them and only plays them out of courtesy to the audience.

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  15. Former Lee Warmer

Wiki has June 26 1970 as the date of the Mitchell overdubs :

Stepping Stone (Jimi Hendrix song) - Wikipedia

Matthew Tate likes this.
  16. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well, only some blues is/was sad music. It was always all about women, love, rejection, hope, dread, dancing, sex, unemployment, joy,... all of life in fact. I never bought that thing about blues being just about being sad music.

17. Man at C&A

Man at C&A Senior Member

Nothing sad about this:

18. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

With the exception of Machine Gun, Buddy is perfect on that one...from the BOG album.

I have no beef against Buddy but I’m not crazy about his style, overall. It works, sometimes. Other times, not so much. It seems rather...repetitive. Maybe that’s just my perception but I stand behind it and it’s all subjective...there’s no right or wrong

unclefred, E.Baba and Efus like this.
  19. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

It would make perfect sense for that type of thing. There could easily be a 4 cd First Rays box set. The first disc and part of the 2nd one would be the songs and mixes we all have and know...stuff from Cry Of Love, Rainbow Bridge, War Heroes, Loose Ends, Stepping Stone/Izabella 45, Come Down Hard On Me Baby (Purple Box), Earth Blues (Purple Box), In From The Storm (West Coast Seattle Boy)...and then paid out the rest with stuff from the sessions. I don’t have a full list but good grief, there’s plenty of stuff to make a wonderful document of an album that is considered unfinished and a work in progress.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  20. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I find it difficult to believe Mitch replaced any drum tracks during Jimi's lifetime. I think it is far more likely the Stepping Stone drum overdub dates from the posthumous sessions for War Heroes that yielded the overdubbed drum tracks for Tax Free, Bleeding Heart and Somewhere. Similarly I suspect the Earth Blues and (unused) Room Full Of Mirrors drum overdubs were done by Mitch in 1971 for Rainbow Bridge.

You have to wonder why Jimi wanted to wipe Buddy off those songs but keep him on Ezy Ryder. We know Jimi wanted Buddy on that one because we have his final mix.

If Jimi had a problem with Buddy's drum track on Stepping Stone there is no way he would have issued it as a single - a single that was his first release of new material in 18 months. Jimi spent weeks adding guitar overdubs and mixing the track with Buddy's drums.

21. MarcS

MarcS Forum Resident

That all makes logical sense but by the same token, Jimi was quite indecisive in 1970 regarding the direction of his next album.

22. Former Lee Warmer

Drums are a rhythm instrument. Rhythm is, by definition, repetitive.

In Band of Gypsys, Jimi finally had a rhythm section that he could count on, literally, instead of 2 guys off in the corner, just playing a bunch of notes. Noel didn't give a **** by 69, and JHE shows suffered for it. 3 guys who never rehearsed, playing the same setlist for 2 years because NONE OF THE 3 GAVE A TOSS TO REHEARSE? They could easily have added Axis and EL songs...but that would have required rehearsal.

BOG rehearsed. They were TIGHT. They had SO MUCH potential.

Buddy played BIG notes. BOG is a BIG sound. Huge notes.

From 1970 on, Mitch not only wasn't as consistent as he was in 1966-68, but his timing was just not the same. If he could've been somewhere close to the Monterey Mitch Mitchell, then that's a great drummer, but even the best shows from 1970 show an inconsistency in Mitchell's drumming that I don't think ever went away again.

Lonson and Pete Puma like this.
  23. Former Lee Warmer

Jimi thought the drums recorded at TRP were flat and "the old sound" and wanted the "new, modern sound" of his new studio, from what I understand.

AND Jimi did at least 2 mixes of SS in his lifetime; one for the single and one that came out on the WB Loss Leader - both feature Buddy's drums.

I'm sure if Mitch did the overdub in Jimi's lifetime, Jimi realized the performance of Buddy> Mitch in re to that particular tune is more important than the fidelity of the drumkit on the record.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think Who Knows alone is proof of what Buddy added to Jimi's music. Buddy gave Jimi a big fat cushion, a fat backbeat that he could just sit on instead of driving the beat like he did with Mitch (listen to the intro of Hear My Train from Berkeley for example). My feeling is on the BOG recordings you hear Jimi play slightly behind the beat and with Mitch he played slightly ahead of the beat .

Not saying one is better than the other; Buddy could plays thing Mitch couldn't and Mitch could play things Buddy couldn't.

Lonson, EVOLVIST, jhm and 2 others like this.
  25. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

I'm not sure he was....a close look at the chronology of his studio sessions at Electric Lady in 1970 it shows a pretty tight focus on finishing the titles earmarked for the album.

pool_of_tears, unclefred, DTK and 2 others like this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.