Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

actually that is not correct about Billy, Billy was more or less straight edge when it came to drugs, and he took acid unknown to him on that last tour...

Billy is the ONE person who has shown over decades that he is no dog in any fight and his loyalty to Jimi has never faltered IMHO, He left the experience/COL bands a few times because of the insanity that was going on and he could see the damage being done, Jimi coaxed him back each time and probably would have again if he hadn't died because jimi knew Billy was there 1st and foremost AS A FRIEND, someone he could trust, also Billy was/is a great bass player, the right guy for the Job all round.

I find in all the interviews I've seen or read with billy he has a very down to earth opinion of things and he is very humble, of all people around Jimi Billy's take on things is the most believable..

SG47, Lonson, E.Baba and 2 others like this.
  2. What's not correct about Billy? I never said anything about Billy and drugs.

It's a fact that Jimi said in his September 11, 1970 interview that Billy Cox was out of the band. I have no reason to disbelieve Billy when he said that Jimi contacted him while Jimi was in London to come back to the band, yet the point was I can't really hang my hat on anything that happend in Jimi's last days because it's so convoluted.

That Billy would come back to the band, yeah I believe he would. That the conversation happened? I wasn't there, so I don't know. Remember, Billy only talked about this conversation in later years. To be "fair," though, I'm actually not sure if anybody interviewed Billy about it right after Jimi died.

Former Lee Warmer likes this.
  3. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

Opps I may of quoted the wrong person.. Sorry.

Billy took months to recover at his parents house and removed himself from the music industry for some time if my memory serves

4. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

So Kathy was part of your "conspiracy"?

Well if his favoured guitar was there, sure, he had decided to crash there to escape from everyone. So you think Monika was part of your "conspiracy"?

From reading all the stuff.

Anyway, how is 9 sleeping tablets swallowed a murder? Monika admitted to Kathy, Mitch and Noel that she gave Jimi some pills, then some more when they didn't appear to work. We also know that Jimi phoned New York to get information from his doctor about the pills before he took them. He didn't get the info. No conspiracy. No Jeffrey involvement.

5. Former Lee Warmer

Former Lee Warmer Emotional Rescue

Yeah, the life insurance policy was a standard deal and it was claimed and paid out to MJ, who used a portion to pay back Warners for the loan to build Electric Lady and Al Hendrix for Jimi's share of Electric Lady.

I don't know much about the fire, other than it was supposedly arson.

6. Former Lee Warmer

Except that Jimi didn't want to leave Kameron's; according to everyone there, Monika was making a nuisance of herself, demanding that Jimi leave, buzzing up no less than 3 times before Jimi left.

His hotel room was right around the corner, and he was supposed to go grab his guitar and meet Mitch at Speakeasy.

Remember?

Either she was part of it or she slipped Hendrix the Vesperax without his knowledge, trying to keep him there out of jealousy.

Ah, yeah. good source.
    That would be when someone administers them to someone else, knowing of their potency, but either slipping them on the sly or downplaying the potency in order to keep the person from leaving (or worse), and that person died.
    Monika also stated that her doctor told her never to take more than HALF A TABLET.

They were supposed to be broken in half.

There's not much debate. He was alive and well when he left Cameron's flat at approx 3am.

He was dead less than 3 hours later.
    Um, yeah. Okay, Glebbeek.

7. Former Lee Warmer

Listening to, um, an 'alternate source' for the 1st show of 1/1/1970, and it's just stunning. the 'Foxey Lady' might be the best version ever. 'Burning Desire' = WOW.

I know that the 'Who Knows and 'Machine Gun' on the album come from that show, but a couple edits in crowd noise and a 'tidy' edit in 'Who Knows', those two songs open the album as it went down in the show, just the most killer slow burn.

For a 'quickie live album to get Chalpin/PPX off his back, they were LOCKED IN and focused on delivering a killer performance. And they delivered.

Cool hearing the full "on bass guitar and vocals, Billy Cox...drums and vocals, Buddy Miles...and vocals and guitar, Mr Jimi Hendrix...ladies and gentlemen, the Fillmore East is proud to welcome back some old friends with a brand new name..."

8. Former Lee Warmer

Okay, so...who was going to play bass on the 'October tour of Germany'?
    Nope, I have not.

Link to the article?

9. Former Lee Warmer

Well, yeah, at the time it was the ultimate authority.

The discography in that thing was AMAZING, but unfortunately out of date almost as soon as the book was released.

DTK likes this.
  10. Former Lee Warmer

Shapiro seems like the legitimate writer, Glebbeek comes across more and more like a fanboi.
    Then why does Glebbeek stick with a Danneman alternate to the story told in Electric Gypsy, one which all accounts refute?

11. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Anyone want to move the last 10 ? pages to a new thread Jimi’s Last Days ?

kanakaris, jhm and Kermit27 like this.
  12. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

It is kinda depressing -- but perhaps not significantly more so than the original topic. :sigh:

13. Former Lee Warmer

Ouch.

14. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Just goofin'. I listened to BSOTS a couple of weeks ago. It's not, um, horrific...

15. Dr. Luther's Assistant

I've been preaching for something like that for decades (probably since the Have You Ever Been? isolated guitar track was included on Loose Ends).

Release elements, isolated tracks, backing tracks, early instrumental takes, breakdowns, etc.

I'll buy a 3CD set of Axis elements -- no questions asked. Hell, I'll pre-order three copies right now.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    EVOLVIST likes this.
  16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

No bass player had been decided on.
    Search on crosstowntorrents for the article, it's about the recording session of Stone Free in April 1969.
    Can you provide a link to the legal document that says Jimi fired Mike Jeffery, as you claim he did? ;);)

17. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Very possible.

Yes. This further incriminates her. So it looks like we agree: no conspiracy at all. Jimi was simply with the wrong person that night. Surely you don't think that ex-MI5 opperative Jeffrey (or so he said) hired Monika as a hit woman? Hardly a rational, reliable agent - yelling and screaming in London courtyards, for all to hear.

As for Glebeek, he is an excellent source. Even back in the 70s, I was following his archives and later came his much adored Univibes magazine and his renouned book with Harry Shpairo "Electric Gypsy". His pamphlet (not really a "book") investigation into Jimi's last days is very thorough, though he should have given more details about the dates and circumstances of the more recently documented eye-witness accounts.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
    DTK and DJ LX like this.
  18. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Foxy was OK, I think it belonged in the later show though. Except for that song, both first sets would've been all material that hadn't been released on album. I'm partial to the Maui version, followed by the LA '69 one.

Burning Desire from 1/1 is probably the most complete version of Jimi's vision of the song, both musically and lyrically. It's almost a multi-part progressive rock tune before there was progressive rock, just a lot funkier! (ok, roughly around the same time as King Crimson but still before Yes, Genesis and ELP really defined the genre in '70-'71...) I've wondered if Jimi knew he wasn't going to be able to get it right in the studio, would he have put this version out at some point. Or would he have just given up and moved on. He didn't seem to do any work on it at Electric Lady, but it was still showing up in songs lists.

Former Lee Warmer and DTK like this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Fairchild got it wrong. I just checked Kathy's book and she says that Jimi bumped into her at Kensington Market (17th December) and said: "I'm staying at The Cumberland Hotel. Why don't you drop by later, to say hi?".

20. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

Former Lee Warmer and rburly like this.
  21. Sax-son

Sax-son Forum Resident

I'm pretty much good with my Jimi Hendrix collection. Are these just leftovers that were not worthy of being included in previously released records?

22. beatleroadie

beatleroadie Forum Resident

It's vultures picking at the bones.

It's great that more live stuff and outtakes are released, that's cool. But the way they are dressed up to be passed off as "NEW" albums is a little disingenuous. It probably fools lots of people who don't realize these are compilations of outtakes and outfakes and not whole albums that Jimi conceived of but just died before he could release them.

DTK and Kermit27 like this.
  23. Matthew Tate

Matthew Tate Forum Resident

so people think Hendrix had conceived multiple albums that include the same tunes ?

24. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Power of Soul and Cherokee Mist are the key additions to the official catalog. After that, there's a few other interesting alternates (Hear My Train, Stepping Stone, Angel). Things I Used To Do is too edited to be a definitive version. Linda is several takes edited together.

Pete Puma and Matthew Tate like this.
  25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Do we know who the author of said piece is? That's always helpful when taking in information/opinion?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.