Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

"Experience Hendrix. Kramer said though “Both Sides of the Sky” is the last of the trilogy"

It's so ridiculous.
    Yes...logic would dictate that the third release would be the last of the "trilogy".

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
  2. Moe Schmo

Moe Schmo Forum Resident

Hendrix was very exacting about what he wanted out of his album releases and obviously would not have intended half baked stuff like this to come out.

patrickd and DTK like this.
  3. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

He did, however, have a habit of revisiting songs or ideas over the years. Look at "Angel" for example. We got that 1968 version on "South Saturn Delta" but he was still working on a version during the summer of 1970 of course. We can't speculate but I think we can agree that none of the recordings on the upcoming release in their current state were intended to be released/heard, but who knows if the songs themselves would've popped up on a release had Jimi lived longer?

RangerXT, supernaut, EVOLVIST and 4 others like this.
  4. Rockinrob

Rockinrob Forum Resident

The hendrix family needs to convert to a Neil Young style archive website. Imagine all these studio sessions in chronological order, with whatever available information/photos/details listed for the specific session...

I'd pay for that!

I enjoy these releases, but it worries me that some kid may pick this up or stream it as his/her first taste of Hendrix. This outtakes, side things, cool jams, random bits and pieces need to be available, but harder to get, while the canon classic albums should be the ones on spotify and in record stores as HENDRIX.

5. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

No mention of the Royal Albert Hall concert for audio/video release upcoming. Guess this won't get an official release in my lifetime!!:cry:

Matthew Tate, Sean, ExHead and 3 others like this.
  6. JeffMo

JeffMo Format Agnostic

I had hoped we'd finally be getting the RAH show...

supernaut and Matthew Tate like this.
  7. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Why should they keep bringing it up? No one would believe them that it is coming out.

warewolf95 and Matthew Tate like this.
  8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

"Fine" is probably the same song as this tune (this is a CSNY take):

jlf, Matthew Tate, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  9. Darrin L.

Darrin L. Forum Resident

Well...he was a perfectionist, which is why the final album was delayed for so long, so no...I doubt he would have been pleased about these released.

10. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I agree that it can be hit or miss. I almost never listen to the "Valleys Of Neptune" CD, however I do find myself going back to certain tracks from "People, Hell & Angels" from time to time. The embryonic "Hey Baby" (Hey Gypsy Boy) is essential to me, but would likely fit in better in a session overview as others have mentioned. Also, one offs like "Mojo Man"...where else would you put them. It's entirely possible this song could have been included on a Ghetto Fighters LP or single at some point, yet it doesn't really "fit" on a Hendrix album. Lastly, I have no problem with including tracks that have not been included before due to technical limitations of the recording but may now be viable due to technological advances in the studio. I'm hoping "The Things That I Used To Do" fits into this category. I'm cautiously optimistic about this release (who am I kidding, I'd have picked it up regardless) but I do feel the Frankensteining had gotten a bit out of hand by P,H&A and I hope that it isn't employed as much (or at all) on this new release. I can't even listen to the "new" Valleys Of Neptune or "Somewhere" cuts as is; they just don't work IMO.

11. Ignatius

Ignatius Forum Resident

I demand Hendrix "archive" releases include a dose of genuine Sandoz acid.

zphage, Matthew Tate and reb like this.
  12. marmalade166

marmalade166 Sous les pavés, la plage!

Tbh I find the '69 material a bit boring, really not my cup of tea. But if they had some stuff from '67 or early '68 I'd be all over it

13. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Who knows? Maybe it is another modern-day Kramer composite from the session reels.

EH also included the live version of Hear My Train A Comin' from "Blues" on the Voodoo Chile compilation. IIRC, Douglas did not edit or create a "Frankenstein" version of the song for "Blues." It is a blistering performance. Nevertheless, I suspect the version on this upcoming release will be a studio rendition.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  14. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

Yet this is the first time such a "trilogy" has been mentioned :D

RangerXT, Matthew Tate, Sean and 6 others like this.
  15. slane

slane Forum Resident

A Blues 'outtake', I believe.

jhm likes this.
  16. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The recent "Machine Gun" live release sat in the can for 46 years (most of it did anyway) and it's essential live Hendrix IMO. Sometimes they didn't aways have access to tapes/masters of tapes. Stills didn't find his tapes of playing with Jimi until a few years ago. We really don't know overall what it'll be like although many of the songs have circulated for years and certainly would be classified as leftovers. Perhaps going in with low expectations and possibly being pleasantly suprised is the way to go. It's not like they will be charging a small fortune for us to hear this material when it comes out.

RangerXT, ggjjr, Byrdsmaniac and 10 others like this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well spotted. When People, Hell and Angels was released, Kramer said it was the very last studio album, and there was no talk about a trilogy. Neither was there any talk about Valleys of Neptune being the first of a trilogy. Alternative news :).

18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

He did on the original :Blues, a cassette dub of which was leaked and put out on bootleg (I have it in my collection). IIRC, "Belly Button Window Blues" and "Hear My Train 'A Comin'" were two of the tracks dropped as was "The Things That I Used To Do" prior to finalizing the tracklist for release. There was an Alan Douglas interview with Jimpress from back in the day where the brought the cassette with him and discussed it's upcoming release. It would take me too long to dig the exact issue out of my garage to confirm unfortunately.

Edit: Villanova Junction (Blues), which eventually came out on Burning Desire on Dagger Records, was also on the original :Blues cassette.

Last edited: Dec 6, 2017
    Sean, Purple Jim, Hep Alien and 2 others like this.
  19. I'm in for this. I enjoy the Hendrix releases that Experience Hendrix has put out since they got control. Sure they haven't been perfect but I find them to be very enjoyable.

20. Moe Schmo

Moe Schmo Forum Resident

Exploit Hendrix would be a more apt name for the EH organisation.

SteveM, limoges, bluejimbop and 6 others like this.
  21. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

They should just make a 20CD boxset and be done with it.
    All this piecemeal stuff is a money grab.

22. Colocally

Colocally One Of The New Wave Boys

No one has to buy it. Why would they want to "be done with it" they are a business. Do you think Duracell would sell a battery that never runs down and "be done with it"?

23. pinkrudy

pinkrudy Senior Member

So you are defending them instead of the consumer?

Moth likes this.
  24. lou

lou Fast 'n Bulbous

Most of the 68 TTG sessions are unreleased, that was the most concerted effort to make a fourth JHE album, would be interesting to hear even though most of the tracks were instrumental.

Sean, RockRoom, marmalade166 and 2 others like this.
  25. Imagine70

Imagine70 Forum Resident

No 1967 copyright extension set?

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.