Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

The official credits on the 7" says mixed by Jimi & Bob Hughes.
    The book "Ultimate Hendrix" states that a mix was made on February 3 (with Bob Hughes as the engineer) which most likely is the b-side mix. There´s no mention in the book that Bob engineered any Jimi session after February 1970.

DTK and John Harchar like this.
  2. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Cool, so we'll now have both BOG songs from the Aug mixes!

3. What is "Lower Alcatraz"? An unreleased track?

4. John Harchar

Yes, I think from June 1970. It's really just Keep On Grooving (or Midnight Lightning Part 2 if you want) and contains the phrase Both Sides of the Sky, so why isn't it on the album, EH?!?

DTK and Matthew Tate like this.
  5. Thanks, that's a nice little song.

Roberto899 likes this.
  6. Chrome_Head

Chrome_Head Planetary Resident

I really love "Cherokee Mist", so good, though as you say, not sure how strong it is of a closing track for this.

7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

8. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

He mentions that Hendrix was using a uni-vibe...this session was April '69....I read that Hendrix got the uni-vibe during his stay at the 'Shokan' house and the first live performance use of it(besides the Shokan tapes) was at the Tinker Street Cinema...August '69

DTK likes this.
  9. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

A little too loose for the type of high profile albums that they like to put out. It might even be too raggedy for a Dagger album. We have it already, so maybe that's enough.

Matthew Tate likes this.
  10. privit1

privit1 Senior Member

Page 63 and it still has not been released yet. Mmm

11. John Harchar

It’s certain not polished, that’s for sure! Basically Loose Ends level, one step above a demo. Is there any other studio track that has the Keep On Grooving lyrics? I think this the only one, every other one is live either with Voodoo Child or Midnight Lightning

12. TeddyB

TeddyB Senior Member

If the B side of Power of Soul is the February 1970 mix, and the upcoming one is the August 1970 mix, what is the one on South Saturn Delta?

905 likes this.
  13. John Harchar

I suspect it’s based on the August mix, but around 40 seconds were cut from the almost 6 minute full version. Why the additional cuts were made I don’t know.

I have recording dates on all my Hendrix tracks in iTunes, I think I’m going to have to add in mix dates where I can find them

14. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

the South Saturn Delta booklet states Feb 3'70 with the over dubs added....engineers Hughes/Kramer
    originally recorded late Jan.
    running time 5:20mts.
    shelved until Aug. '70 and then remixed.

Matthew Tate and dee like this.
  15. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

So is it going to have that nauseating delay effect??

Purple Jim likes this.
  16. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

unknown...but Jimi is the one that added the delay effect(according to the info. in the booklet)

kees1954 and DTK like this.
  17. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

The South Saturn Delta version was remixed by Eddie in 1997 - as John Harcher said above, most likely based on the Jimi/Eddie August 1970 mix.

DTK and TeddyB like this.
  18. tedhead

tedhead Forum Resident

Since the Ultimate Classic Rock link doesn't work for me (and presumably others), Vevo posted this on Youtube:

Wayne Hubbard, jhm and Rooster_Ties like this.
  19. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

There is that studio "Midnight Lightning" with also the saucy "Stoop Down"/"Old Mother Hubbard" lyric (I think has already been posted on this thread or another). I first heard it on the "Freak Out Jam" bootleg in the 90s. Before the jam gets under way, Kramer asks Jimi to play the central riff alone then he can get it on tape. That turned up on WCSB as "Play That Riff".

EVOLVIST and Matthew Tate like this.
  20. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well in the SSD booklet it says that Jimi did a rough mix "resulting in" the delay effect. I remain unconvinced that this was wholly intentional. It could have been an error that Jimi meant to adjust after lunch or something but he never got the chance to come back to it. As John Harcher pointed out earlier, the first "Yeah, yeah" is missing, indicating that it was work in progress and not a final approved mix.

kees1954 and Matthew Tate like this.
  21. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yes, summer '69 is the common theory.
    But...the track New Rising Sun cut in L.A. in October 1968 also has what really sounds like the Univibe effect.
    The pedal was launched in 1968 in a Japanese version Shin-ei, and Jimi had one. Perhaps he got it in '68 but used it sparsely. The Dunlop version he used on stage was apparently launched in 1969.

Last edited: Feb 10, 2018
  22. slane

slane Forum Resident

I'm fairly sure that the delay is a delayed copy of the whole track, recorded onto it's own track.

Chris M and kees1954 like this.
  23. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I love this debate!

While we may not "like" this mix it is what it is, Jimi's work and that's how he left it. So should that not be what is presented? Or do we get work done on it [by Eddie] in a manner that we THINK it should be so we can enjoy it a little better? Or alternately, not released at all?

For sure, this was never a finished final mix.

Anyway, this is from 21st January 70 RP session with later OD's on 3rd February and appears to be the full original take of the track that can be found on Crash Landing.

kees1954 likes this.
  24. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Well, if thats the case, I guess even Jimi had some bad ideas. May have been human after all.

Rooster_Ties likes this.
  25. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Nah, he went to lunch and forgot about it.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.