Jimi Hendrix Both Sides of the Sky - new album coming March 9, 2018

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by fsutall, Dec 6, 2017.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

yes probably, that is what has been thought he wanted Chas back etc

2. Arnold Grove

Arnold Grove Senior Member

That should be the new marketing slogan for EH... ;)

jmxw, smoke, Rockinrob and 7 others like this.
  3. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Well, now it's looking like it will be impossible for me to get to the NYC Kramer/McDermott Both Sides... event tomorrow evening. Tomorrow's storm will be at its worst from mid-day through the evening, which is when I'd be travelling north from the Philadelphia area. This storm is supposed to be as bad or worse than last week's, which shut down Amtrak and regional rail, so I guess I'll be hunkered down watching the live stream - assuming the event doesn't get postponed or cancelled.

4. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

At the end of the day Jimi was a grown man. He was not a victim; he had survived the army, extreme poverty, racism, even a southern lynching. He chose to go to business with Mike Jeffery, and he chose to go to bed with crazy groupies. It was his own decisions that led to his early demise.

thestereofan, GMDuss and Maidenpriest like this.
  5. Arnold Grove

The event might be postponed if the weather forecast keeps getting worse.

jhm likes this.
  6. Arnold Grove

I was and am NOT crazy ... ;)

robertawillisjr, Maidenpriest and DTK like this.
  7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

True, however in many books, including the new, excellent One Last Experience (just a plug for my man, Ben) Hardcover edition , it makes pretty clear how Jeffery was trying to keep Jimi as more or less a financial indentured servant (my words). Talking him into building Electric Lady was really a master stroke from a business standpoint, ensuring Jimi would financially be on the hook for the constructions costs, forcing him back out on the road "every time they needed more money" for the project. If your artist constantly owes you money, he or she will more than likely comply with your requests. Sure Jimi made up his own mind, but his management clearly had their best interests at heart, not his. I'm also certain the added stress of having to tour to prevent him from going to far into debt greatly increased Jimi's stress in late '69 through '70, a time when all he wanted to do was focus on making music. Stress often leads to more bad decisions and...well we all know the end result in this case. Jimi certainly wouldn't have been the first (nor the last) artist to not fully understand the complicated financial deals he was presented with.

8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Electric Lady was Eddie Kramer's idea though...hmmm.

9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Well you're just a charming guy :)

Arnold Grove likes this.
  10. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Actually he was the guy who said "if you have to build something, it makes more sense to build a studio than a nightclub" (which was Jimi and Jeffery's original idea. I don't believe Eddie had a financial stake in the outcome like Jeffery did.

kees1954 likes this.
  11. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

12. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Makes sense it's not Lover Man since I just got a note from Amazon I should be getting my LM copy by the 21st.

Boy, they LOVE Trash Man!

13. Ern

Ern Senior Member

Just to prevent me to search the whole thread, can someone tell me the recording date of Power of Soul from this new release?
    Thanks

14. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Recorded January 21, 1970, overdubs on Feb 3, mixed on Aug 22

Ern likes this.
  15. Wright

Wright Forum Resident

What's the story here?

16. Ern

Ern Senior Member

:righton:

17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Story is from Billy Cox, when they were stationed in Nashville. Jimi was hunted down and had to hide in a cornfield.

18. Smokin Chains

Smokin Chains Forum Resident

Wow I never heard about that! Insane.

DTK likes this.
  19. Arnold Grove

Purple Maize?? :hide:

kees1954, EVOLVIST, DTK and 3 others like this.
  20. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Off-topic but any opinions of the BBC triple vinyl? U.S. Sony version or MOV EU version which is around $12-13 more?

21. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

We musn't forget that Jimi was very excited about the idea of having "his own" recording studio, which would enable him to freely create without the constraints of expensive studio booking time. It wasn't as if he was led into the deal like a fool. He really wanted that studio. However, he got a reality check when he couldn't use the studio because other artists were in there that Jeffrey had booked-in, to keep the cash flowing.

22. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I agree, he definitely wanted it, however I don't think he knew how beholden he'd be to management once the construction costs spiralled out of control. I still say despite Jimi's desire for a club/studio, this was a pretty predatory move on Jeffery's part. I think overall he was more business savvy than Jimi and knew what the implications of entering into such a venture would really be. I mean, look at the complicated offshore holding he helped create with Yameta. Very few were able to untangle that mess (if they ever really did).

23. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Yes, Jimi was still following the dream. Had he lived longer, I don't think the financial side of it would have been a problem though, what with tours, a new album, concert movies, etc. plus Jeffrey keeping the studio booked while he was away.

jhm likes this.
  24. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

He's also 75 years old.......he's seen (heard) better days.
    Time to step aside IMO.
    Harsh but true.

DTK, Maidenpriest and mikew like this.
  25. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

Living in Nashville now, I believe it. Not in the city (Nashville proper), but things get hairy in the surrounding rural areas.

DTK likes this.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.