Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland best version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Lizard King, Feb 18, 2015.

1. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I'll take a closer look at it. Thanks for the info! All I know is it sounds better than any US LP I've had. It looked perfect when I got it, but was really crackly. I had to deep clean it on my VPI 3 times to get what I think was mold out of the grooves. Plays perfectly now.

Gordon Johnson and Leonthepro like this.
  2. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

Two different sets of ears on different set ups delivering small differences.
    Really, this simply highlights the reason we all need to get copies and sit with them to find the copy that we personally like.

The best US track listing AYE stereo that is!

BTW jgrillo, are you using a tube amp? Or tubes in the line at some point?

Leonthepro likes this.
  3. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

Ok will do, i notice there are 4 versions of the 1973 polydor versions (matrix number check)
    I think the track version is the pre polydor version but with black track labels (again matrix number check)
    The CD version sounds quite analogue considering it,s a CD

4. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

5. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

6. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

I noticed the comments at the bottom of the page
    I will have to have a listen as i have never played it, it looks unplayed or at least once, i cleaned it with my RCM using L art du son
    I bought it around the year 2000, i just played the cd or the 1973 version

Leonthepro likes this.
  7. Gordon Johnson

There currently is a Track Records pressing up for sale on this forum of Ladyland though it'll cost any seriously interested party.

8. jgrillo

jgrillo Forum Resident

Hi Gordon--All tubes! I am running the Decware ZP3 phono pre-amp and a re-built and modified Fisher 500. Definitely agree with your comment about different ears, different set-ups, and small differences. Sometimes I really spend too much time comparing records and going back and forth in shootouts. But, when it comes down to it, every little thing makes a difference, no doubt about it. It can be fun to really hear the subtleties in the recording via different masterings and pressings.

And Leon--I will check my matrices and see what I can dig up on Discogs. My thoughts is that they would all be the same on that QRP run...but who knows?

Leonthepro likes this.
  9. mwheelerk

mwheelerk Sorry, I can't talk now, I'm listening to music...

The Analogue Productions Hybrid SACD that WAS NOT announced

John Buchanan likes this.
  10. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

I played the track version and the polydor version today
    I played side D (4) on both versions for a fair test

First up was the UK 1973 polydor version, 5 versions came out in 1973 so am a bit lost which one is mine, this is a red polydor label with laminated cover
    The matrix numbers on mine are (these were close together)
    Side A - 2310269 A//2 420 04 1
    Side D - 2130269 D//2 420 04 11
    Side B - 2310270 B//5 420 04 1 11
    Side C - 2310270 C//2 420 041
    I played side D for this test
    had a sort of safe sound and slightly shut in and more centre than open (slight mono sounding if that makes sense), the bass was a slightly down in the mix ( i dont mean dropped an octave i mean volume) and the EQ sounded slightly flat and a slight tilt towards the treble
    Still sounded good though and worthy of keeping although it lacked that ninth degree of exitement
    But my turntable and equipment tends to show everything up for what it is, yours might make it sound different (them kimber cables are ruthless)

Next up was the UK Track version
    This is my version
    The Jimi Hendrix Experience - Electric Ladyland
    I played side D
    Wow this was more open, dynamic and less safe sounding without losing timing and dynamics, imaging was more solid too (sounded more stereo)
    There was a slight bit of Distortion in the treble due to it revealing the mix better (if thats the case)
    It also sounded smoother and more enjoyable to listen to, it also sounded tonally better too and less phasey, the bass sounded better and deeper
    The penny dropped with voodoo chile, you could hear the raw sound of jimis strat just stand out centre stage, i had to remind myself that i was too old to play air guitar :D
    To sum it up i like the track version better, but the polydor is a good second place
    Now i cant say for the life of me which one is more true to the original tape/mix etc, but the track one sounded better to me anyway and thats the keeper
    The polydoor version could be closer to the original first UK copy, just a thought
    Anyone else who knows better feel free to comment

Tuck1977, Cassius and Leonthepro like this.
  11. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Well, I wont be buying the UK polydor in my local shop then. Better wait for a Track ;^)

12. Cassius

Cassius On The Beach

This is right in line with what I've heard. I sold off my W7 US and early 70s UK Polydor once I got turned on to the original Track //1 pressing. The immediacy & freshness of the original Track haven't been topped to my ears. It's certainly not a smooth mix and can be jarring/in your face at times even delivered via tube playback, but that's what's the way Kramer & Jimi laid it down. I've found nothing else that delivers that in the room sound.

Aftermath, skisdlimit and Mad shadows like this.
  13. Gordon Johnson

Thing is Jimi was unhappy with the final LP and I don't mean the UK cover and the Reprise ignorance towards his cover design.

He actively sought out a mastering engineer after this release and found one in Robert Ludwig.

Tube or SS, Reprise, Track, Polydor or Barclay none of them are good as they are all muddy and no playback set up in the world will change that! That's not to say some folk prefer that sound but not recommended at the asking price.

But if anyone is set to splash the cash be wary on which pressing you get and take no notice of the crap spouted on discog's which I see is misleading many sellers into believing there are "rare" pressings out there based on scratched out matix numbers!!!!

One shop here in the UK is selling a Track Vol2 at three times its real value based on a claim it is a mispress as it has scratched out dead wax detail. When asked why, I'm told cos it says so on Discogs , ha ha. Really they should be doing the leg work and really checking. They lost a record buying customer or two today on a permanent basis!

Many Track Records Ladyland's are going for hundreds of pounds [even the one in the classifieds on this site]. Honestly, not worth it and I'd be embarrassed to ask a three figure sum for my copy!!!

A perfectly good copy can be obtained for a fraction of the price if this record is being bought for listening to, collecting or investing on the other hand is of course a different ball game!

Just my opinion on these pressings. Hope anyone new to this album on vinyl gets what they really want and truly enjoys it.

steviebee, Tuck1977 and Leonthepro like this.
  14. PJC68

PJC68 Forum Resident

I think the polydor version sounds a bit grey
    The track version i have does sound better, on voodoo chile it was like jimi was there
    The 1997 UK CD sounds good to

15. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Did Jimi say specifically why he was not happy with the sound of the lp vs the master tape?

Link to an interview?

16. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

What are the best cd versions of his three main albums?

17. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

I love my original 1st pressing track, and I love my 1st pressing USA, they sound different but I love them equally.

I’ve owned quite a few different pressings over the years but these 2 beat everything else hands down. :)

Jam757, Mad shadows and dave9199 like this.
  18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

The 2018 hybrid SACD for Axis, hopefully the same for Are You Experienced in early 2019. Unfortunately for EL, it's probably the early, pre- No Noise Reprise CDs

dave9199 likes this.
  19. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

Ladyland is a lousy sounding album. On CD anyway. I have two CD editions. Both sound like crap. And the newer one is supposed to be the good one.

20. dave9199

dave9199 Forum Resident

What year did those come out?

21. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Which cd’s do you have?

22. StarThrower62

StarThrower62 Forum Resident

I'm not sure about the old one but it's just a standard issue CD from 25 or more years ago.

The recent one I picked up is the s0 called remastered from original tapes, worked on by Eddie Kramer.

I don't have any "audiophile" editions. I don't spend money on that stuff.

23. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Anyone?

24. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

both 1968..

The Reprise is cleaner and and bit brighter than the Track..

I love both of them...

25. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

Asked in what you say, I’m guessing you’ve the 1993 MCA disc and 2010 Sony disc. Both of them have their drawbacks.