Jimi Hendrix Electric Ladyland best version

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by The Lizard King, Feb 18, 2015.

1. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Well for one thing, each edition used a different mastering engineer. The 2010 was George Marino and the 2018 was Bernie Grundman. Each man took a different approach when creating "their" version of the LP.

Swansong and Strat-Mangler like this.
  2. Strat-Mangler

Strat-Mangler Personal Survival Daily Record-Breaker

I was aware of that but asking essentially what the difference is in the approach and resulting SQ.

3. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

I don't recall with EL, so someone else will have to chime in. With Axis, however, I think it's fair to describe the Marino as "darker" and the Grundman as being a tad brighter/having more detail overall.

Swansong and Strat-Mangler like this.
  4. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

I recently just finished a vinyl shootout and had done a CD shootout quite a while ago (which can be found in the best sounding Jimi CDs thread). Not going to go into too much detail but the vinyl shootout results are below.

Vinyl : 2010 Sony pressing verses 2018 Sony boxset pressing verses original Dual Color 1968 Reprise verses 1979 single color Reprise. In order from the winner to worst

#1 2010 EH pressing. Bottom line this is the most relaxing listen. I find myself just chilling and enjoying this one without feeling the need to do an in depth view of this or that in various sections. Just a great listen
    #2 2018 EH pressing Another good listen does a few things maybe better than the 2010 but also a few things worse. Side 4 with the exception of Watchtower seems a bit harsh in places as well. Also there is no fill on mine for the portion between House Burning Down and Watchtower and House Burning Down before the no fill seems to get even more harsh than other places on side 4.
    #3 1968 Dual Color Reprise Pressing. Great midrange perhaps the best of all for midrange and substantial bass. Overall however, I like the 2010 and 2019 better they just seem to pull more out of the recording and they seem clearer than the original does
    #4 1979 Single Color Reprise Pressing Doesn't really do anything very well compared to the others. The only thing that saves it is its still Electric Ladyland

Here are the best of the best in my book

Stereo
    Vinyl
    2010 EH pressing
    CD 1990 RE-1 Reprise Pressing

2018 EH boxset
    (its your only choice for 5.1 but it is fantastic)

Honorable mention ELL EH Sony Cassette. Want the very good tonal 97 mastering but without the harsh loudness war highs the 97 cds have? Try the EH 97 cassette....

Shawn, jgrillo, breakingglass and 2 others like this.
  5. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Particularly the uncompressed mix.

6. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

Hello,

Maybe I expressed myself badly? I speculated that they may have been other matrix but cut during the same sessions as the production of the UK matrix (A1/B1...)...then sent to Germany afterwards. Maybe they were matrix exclusively cut for the German market (but keeping the same mastering moves as the UK matrix)!?! Like the B side of the mythical
    and first German pressing of Led Zeppelin ll mastered by Robert Ludwig. Bob had cut this B side specifically for the German market...but inspired by his own work done in the USA. You see what I mean ?
    If I'm wrong (which is possible), that would mean that the first German pressings were cut locally from a first generation tape? But what are the matrix indices to corroborate this fact?

:tiphat:

7. Swansong

Swansong From Planet Earth

Hopefully Analog Productions will give this album the treatment it so desperately deserves by doing a UHQR of this masterpiece. :wiggle: Hey….. one can dream.

8. Jam757

Jam757 Forum Resident

Or perhaps you were right on the money and it sounds bloody fantastic! Doesn’t need to be a first U.K. Track to sound incredible anyway.

9. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Also to note the Sundazed 45 RPM single of Come On (Part 1) is the best I have ever heard that track. It puts the 2010 which I obviously really like down a peg or two. Would love to see some 45 RPM releases of entire Jimi albums. On the other hand how many releases of the same thing am I willing to buy???????????

10. Christophe Lethimonnier

Christophe Lethimonnier Forum Resident

Hi,

Frankly when I listen to it I find nothing to complain about! Spacious and deep soundstage (worthy of Alvear's best masterings!). Detailed but not surgical or sanitized like many modern masterings. Warm tone but still realistic and organic. Incandescent guitar...etc...

And the record is really silent... Germanic quality! Wonderful pressing! Highly recommended!

:tiphat:

Jam757 likes this.
  11. Acoustic Warrior

Acoustic Warrior I Come From The Water

Bought the 2010 AAA this weekend finally. Sounds wonderful.

khanrahan, Shak Cohen and jhm like this.
  12. TimWare

TimWare Well-worn Member

It’s thoroughly documented. The primacy of those ugly blue-text versions is what is unsupported, according to Jeff Gold:
    Jimi Hendrix’s Electric Ladyland–The Final Word On First Pressings and The Blue Text Hype

If you have a more compelling source for your opinion, please share it.

Shawn and Leonthepro like this.
  13. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

14. Gordon Johnson

Just looked on the site. It looks like I've yet to fully update that information.

JP carries the full update, with a credit to Jeff for his input.

Once I get time I'll look to re presenting that article on the site

TimWare likes this.
  15. Derrell Gore

Derrell Gore Forum Resident

I went down the rabbit hole looking for the best cd. I think I have listened to just about every version at this point. I don't think there is a great one.

Prof. Stoned needle drop is probably the best cd you can make.

If I had to pick one digital version that I like better than the rest I would have to go with the 24-96 version on the 50th Anniv. Blue Ray. I don't have a way to listen to the 5.1 but I have heard it is good.

I tried converting the 24-96 version to 16-44 to make a cd. It loses a lot when you do that.

I just have a SURFAN portable player plugged into my stereo playing the 24-96 and that is really good using HD 650's

I also have the 2010 vinyl. Don't really like it with headphones but it sounds good with speakers and subwoofer.

I really base my opinion totally on what I hear....waveforms and dr was not used on my opinion.

Timothy Fiacco and Rob Hughes like this.
  16. Oscillation

Oscillation Maybe it was the doses?

I recently got my U.S. original back in really great condition and comparing to the 2010 I have to say Im super happy to have the original back! Took me over a year and cost a lot to get it though…

17. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

My previous favourite was the 2010 reissue. I find myself turning to a needledrop of the two-tone reprise pressing nowadays

18. sunking101

sunking101 Forum Resident

I just can't own it without the original UK cover.

S. P. Honeybunch likes this.
  19. Oscillation

The U.S. cover is iconic and far superior, give it a try.

20. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

I think Jimi hated the UK cover.

21. Oscillation

Unsurprising as it is garbage.

Acoustic Warrior and PADYBU like this.
  22. Channel Z

Channel Z Forum Resident

The liner notes in the 50th anniversary box describing what Jimi thought of the cover:

The image embarrassed Hendrix and ran afoul of some English retailers.

23. Gordon Johnson

Never played the cover so far!

24. Oscillation

Use a conical stylus. It’s easier on the paper.

25. Derrell Gore

Derrell Gore Forum Resident

I don't think we'll ever see a better version at this point. Grundman probably did as good as he could do in 2018. I believe the tapes are just not in any better shape.

Only way it is going to sound better is with some digital improvements. I am not really against that.