Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Edition) 4-CD Box EH/Sony Nov. 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanakaris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

Well Ladyland is his ultimate masterpiece, so you're in the right place digging it. You should like his first two on that basis, though they are not as lavish (Chas was more in control, keeping it more "pop").
    You must know Band Of Gypsys I presume and Cry Of Love and Rainbow Bridge are also great (in case you do decide to delve further). Great jamming on Hear My Music and Burning Desire also (Dagger Records). Forget the recent dreary series of studio leftovers (since 2010).

Pouchkine and David67 like this.
  2. taramark

taramark Forum Resident

Yes, according to the Dynamic Range Database

Pouchkine, DTK and dee like this.
  3. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

The 50th anniversary of THE greatest album of all time.

tedhead, Pouchkine, DTK and 3 others like this.
  4. Lownote30

Lownote30 Bass Clef Addict

I have a hard time believing that Bernie would master something and squash it like that. Even if they tried to twist his arm, he wouldn't do it I don't think. I'll let my ears decide for me.

Tommyboy likes this.
  5. quicksrt

quicksrt Senior Member

You felt the need to argue the point.

Leonthepro likes this.
  6. Oatsdad

Oatsdad Oat, Biscuits, Abbie & Mitzi: Best Dogs Ever

You're welcome!

Localization varied. Guitars and other elements tended to be pretty firmly localized, but drums and lead vocals were less specific, IMO...

Cokelike- likes this.
  7. Oatsdad

"Band of Gypsys" is actually the only "regular" Hendrix studio album I owned before now! I picked up an early pressing CD.

Only played it once but I wasn't wild about "BoG". I tend to prefer shorter/tighter songs and IIRC, "BoG" was pretty loosey-goosey! :)

Efus likes this.
  8. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I'm a fan of the much disliked 1997 remaster and wasn't thrilled with the original 2 disc version from the 80s, so I'm definitely off on my own. I'll do the comparison of the '97 and the new remaster on disc 1, then try to find some time to sit with the headphones in on the Blu-ray to hear the uncompressed and 5.1 and decide for myself.

Lonson and moops like this.
  9. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

It could have given you a rather misleading picture of his work as it is NOT a studio album, it is a concert album.

SoundDoctor and 905 like this.
  10. Oatsdad

Oops - sorry! I forgot that.

IIRC, it's an album of then-new compositions, right? So not a "live album" in the same way as "Hollywood Bowl" - ie, an artist playing their already-released material...

dee likes this.
  11. dee

dee Senior Member

Good point, imo, and as you mention too it's the kind of record(s) that 'you' want to hear from start to finish in 1 sitting.

Pouchkine, yardbuzzard and EVOLVIST like this.
  12. Efus

Efus Senior Member

BoG has a couple epic moments, but it is loose.

If you like shorter/tighter songs, Id highly recommend Axis to listen to next, couple of those songs are just over 2 minutes.
    Just sample Castles Made Of Sand, brilliant tune, awesome lyric, and a lot of little interesting bits in there that yer ear should catch.

13. I’m getting the LPs tomorrow. If for some reason I dont like them, I’ll simply return them to Amazon .

I need to listen with my own ears on my own rig.

Tommyboy and yardbuzzard like this.
  14. Leonthepro

Leonthepro Skeptically Optimistic

Do you have the 2010 reissue to compare?

15. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

I'd like to see the numbers on Disc 1 compared to the Blu version of the original mix, just for comparison since I don't have a easy way of converting the Blu tracks to computer files at the moment so the CD would be my go-to version.

jhm, dee and bluesbro like this.
  16. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Another Promo video with Joe Satriana looking through the booklet.

Tullman likes this.
  17. I rarely compare in terms of A-B ing. I have my original 1968 Track Nude cover. Sounds great but very well played and a bit crackly

I’ll just play the new one and decide if I enjoy it or not.

18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

I bet Joe would have liked some additional studio outtakes. ;)

Rooster_Ties, DTK, SG47 and 1 other person like this.
  19. That's what I'm saying! It's bizarre! I might (might is the key word) be inclined to listen first if I didn't already have quality needledrops lined up for this set. It's not even like the vinyl or the CD set is expensive. It's now come down to a matter of principle for me, and cancelling my order is like voting: one voice matters. Fortunately, if I find that Grundman didn't botch the mastering, I can always go back and purchase the box. At the same time, my decision wasn't solely based on the reported DR numbers; it was the cumulative effect that this release seems like a cock up from the very beginning. Even at that, if the SQ is proven to be nice, my money is probably better spent on what many are hoping is a quality SACD from Analog Productions to go with his first two albums. After all, the SACDs are geared for the more hardcore fan, while this release is most certainly not.

In a "Duh" moment I realized that perhaps these DR numbers (if true) are like this because the release is not designed for the hardcore Hendrix fan; instead, it seems to be a mass-market release for the earbud crowd, considering the packaging and content (or lack thereof). The inclusion of a vinyl package is this case is merely a nod to the multi-format releases that are now in vogue.

I can wait.

20. humpf

humpf Allowed to write something here.

Yes, but he used to extend his songs on concerts. Their studio versions are often "tighter". Also, the arrangments are usually richer. Anyway, his concert albums can give you quite wrong idea about his studio stuff. Moreover, Band of Gypsys is quite unique in his discography - a different (singing) drummer makes surprisingly huge difference and the funky style of the band was quite a twist in Hendrix sound at the time too.

Oatsdad, DTK and Efus like this.
  21. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

We should keep in mind that the dynamics may have been squashed after he mastered it. We have a precedent already set (unfortunately) with the standard CD of the live "Machine Gun" release versus the redbook layer on the AP SACD. The latter is more dynamic and the mastering appears to be the same.

If EL is squashed (stereo layer) on this Blu Ray, I'm going to be very pissed off. The fact that the DR numbers seem to match earlier masterings is very suspect to me.

John Buchanan, Pouchkine and EVOLVIST like this.
  22. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Do you mean Axis? The AYE SACD hasn't been released yet.

23. An extremely good point! But to have the blu-ray LPCM 24/96 squashed, too?! I suppose they could have just put the squashed CD mastering on the blu-ray, only in a higher bit-rate, and called it a day. Yet the advert reads: "...the original stereo mixes in uncompressed 24 bit/96 kz high resolution audio."

And what does this even mean, then? "Flat," on the surface, would indicate no mastering at all. Mixed signals, for sure.

[​IMG]

jhm and DTK like this.
  24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Jeez, the hi-rez looks even louder then the 2010 cd if you look at individual tracks.
    It's a frisbee for me anyway, but disappointed for those who were looking forward to this.

905 likes this.
  25. xj32

xj32 Forum Resident

Why did I order mine over a month ago, but now Amazon tells me it won’t arrive until the 15th or 16th...Grrrrr

jhm and dee like this.