Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Edition) 4-CD Box EH/Sony Nov. 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanakaris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Dennis Metz

Dennis Metz Born In A Motor City south of Detroit

Mine arrived this morning. I’ll be listening later :edthumbs::cheers:

2. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

And Midnight Lamp. We could throw in Eric & Steve doing Voodoo Chile...:shh:

jhm likes this.
  3. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Regular album remaster has clipping on many of the tunes, but doesn't look toooo bad to me.
    Note, I'm not commenting on the sound as I have no equipment profile. :oops:

mark winstanley and rnranimal like this.
  4. Merrick

Merrick The return of the Thin White Duke

Can anyone with the Blu-day run the DR meter on the 24/96 remaster? I want to confirm if it’s the same as the one posted on the DR database.

jhm likes this.
  5. PADYBU

PADYBU Forum Resident

I'm just skimming with headphones, comparing to the original two-tone LP. It's nice that the 50th brings out some highs without it turning too bright, extra hiss is a downside though. I'm still preferring the original atm but it sounds great none the less. Now i'm looking forward getting the vinyl and checking this out through speakers

equipment profiles are overrated, post your hearing tests as well :p

6. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

There are some nice things on the bonus disc: The acoustic Angel is nice, of course, and i quite like the studio demos of Long Hot Summer Night. Rainy Day Shuffle and Rainy Day, Dream Away are fine. And i love the almost motownian instrumental version of Little Miss Strange.

But in my opinion, most of the acoustic demos - as interesting as they might, or might not be - are Dagger material too. Especially as we know what tracks were not included.

7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Amazon isn't delivering the $*%*^%& set to me until Monday. If it hasn't been done by then, I'll post the DRs for both the 96/24 stereo and then high res 5.1.

Merrick likes this.
  8. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

It is my understanding Kramer had to futz with the Bowl show to even make it sound like it does. Thar is not always a good thing. I have a cooy of the pre futzed with Woburn and it sounds better than EHs release and does not have some of the Flaws the EH release has either. This either means EH did a crappy job or they didn’t have the best source. So I would definately be interested to hear a Bowl copy before Eddie “Tinkered” with the sound. Althiugh I have not heard it I believe the Oakland Coliseum 69 dagger release may also fall into this category where the raw tape circulates among collectors and may sound superior to what EH put out.

I really don’t understand the inclusion of the Bowl show (and now hearing 2 songs have cuts?????) over something else either more outakes or different live material n this box.

All that being said as a Hendrix fanatic I still would rather have the new source than not have it at all.

Efus, footlooseman and jhm like this.
  9. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Little Miss Strange is clearly a "holding back the valuable stuff" measure. Jimi doesn't even play on it!!

Laservampire and kees1954 like this.
  10. Zephead2112

Zephead2112 Forum Resident

I like the 5.1 very much, it's very immersive and not over-baked. Apologies that I can't offer any more than that at present as I'm only half way through my first listen.

However, I'm sure that that there could have been a little more creativity afforded to the on-screen visuals for such an auspicious occasion as the EL 50th! What we have is something any one of us could have pulled together for a home made DVD, just a lazy loop of the same photos (and not that many!), laid over a shot of a live audience. It would have been nice to have something generic, perhaps something a little psychedelic and swirling that would complement the music and light the room without being too intrusive.

11. Yikes! I thought we might get some alternate guitar work.

DTK likes this.
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

No, it's the March Sound Center demo we've had on boots for decades. Upgraded sound though.

kees1954 likes this.
  13. MrSka57

MrSka57 Forum Resident

Stay away from the White Album BD then; same 4 photos in an endless loop.

Zephead2112 likes this.
  14. bluesbro

bluesbro Forum Hall of Shame

Is CD 1 loud or not?

15. Audiowannabee

Audiowannabee Forum Resident

Just got hendrix in...listening now...so far im more impressed w my moody blues in search of the lost chord 50th

Didnt spluge on beatles...too much $$$

16. jymy

jymy Senior Member

Isn't it the same alternate version as on Noel Redding's The Experience Sessions?

DTK likes this.
  17. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Half the tracks are clipped. Not brickwalled though.

18. NUNZI

NUNZI Forum Resident

Maybe they should have made better mention in regards to the Hollywood Bowl disc. It is "Dagger" quality (that I happen to love). Other than that, between the hybrid "Axis" and this box set, I am a VERY happy Hendrix fan!

Efus likes this.
  19. 905

905 Senior Member

So Fire is supposed to start like it does on the Hollywood Bowl CD?
    Indeed, the Hollywood Bowl should have been a standalone Dagger release with a sound quality disclaimer. I still would have bought it, the only Dagger concert I've stayed away from due to sound quality is Fehmarn.
    But as part of a deluxe 50th set, it's odd.

Efus, Pouchkine and footlooseman like this.
  20. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

This'll help you decide. I'm pretty upset myself (full disclosure). This is Voodoo Chile (long one) from the new CD remaster:

[​IMG]

There's just NO EXCUSE for this crap!

21. sonofjim

sonofjim Senior Member

I was quite happy to find my LP set on the doorstep this morning. I’ve found the packaging to be as good or better than I expected. My only minor complaints would be that the book should be hard bound and the original album should sport the censored cover. Everything else looks and feels great and the QRP pressings are very good, flat and clean.

I’ve only started playing the original album but Grundman’s remaster sounds very good to my ears. I’m not noticing any clipping or other reported problems. I look forward to the extras LPs and the DVD (which I haven’t even opened but I do have a Vandersteen 7.1 system set up with four subwoofers so should be fun).

Overall, I guess I’m just ignorant enough to not bemoan what’s not here and just enjoy what is included. For $90, pretty cool in my book.

frightwigwam likes this.
  22. 905

905 Senior Member

I only have shelf unit CD players/boomboxes/walkman, but is the new Electric Ladyland remaster louder than the previous one? I guess I need to keep that one too.

23. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Here's the complimentary waveform from (what is going to still be my go to for listening) a rip of the 2010 LP reissue. The new CD has a DR of 6 for this track while the LP is 11! I know you can reliably use the DR meter for vinyl, but still...the waveforms speak for themselves.

[​IMG]

24. Sis+erRay

Sis+erRay Forum Resident

Here we go... 24/96 stereo (DROffline 1.1.7)

DR Peak RMS Filename
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

DR8 -3.01 dB -15.44 dB 001.wav
    DR9 -3.01 dB -13.54 dB 002.wav
    DR8 -3.01 dB -12.09 dB 003.wav
    DR6 -3.01 dB -11.52 dB 004.wav
    DR8 -3.01 dB -12.96 dB 005.wav
    DR8 -3.01 dB -13.33 dB 006.wav
    DR8 -3.01 dB -12.54 dB 007.wav
    DR9 -3.01 dB -13.39 dB 008.wav
    DR9 -3.01 dB -12.90 dB 009.wav
    DR8 -3.01 dB -13.54 dB 010.wav
    DR8 -3.01 dB -14.29 dB 011.wav
    DR12 -3.01 dB -21.82 dB 012.wav
    DR6 -3.01 dB -11.18 dB 013.wav
    DR8 -3.01 dB -12.59 dB 014.wav
    DR7 -3.01 dB -11.38 dB 015.wav
    DR8 -3.01 dB -12.32 dB 016.wav
    ----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Number of Files: 16
    Official DR Value: DR8

Last edited: Nov 9, 2018
  25. Efus

Efus Senior Member

Mental health evaluation would perhaps be helpful in some cases.....

Jaap74, footlooseman and PADYBU like this.