Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Edition) 4-CD Box EH/Sony Nov. 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanakaris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. Orthogonian Blues

Orthogonian Blues A man with a fork in a world full of soup.

Surely Noel played on Little Miss Strange.

I'd be in for a good reissue. Somehow my Polydor double vinyl doesn't cut it (I reckon because it is probably a fake - the sides are mislabelled, it's on white vinyl, and the cover (with the nekkid ladies) is too dark).

2. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

"I was young but I remember when he was working on that album and how proud he was about making it." It must be nauseating for Kramer to have to sit next to Janie and hear such nonsense.

3. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Crosstown
    Voodoo child
    Little miss strange
    Burning Lamp
    Come On

I think Watchtower was the only non-Noel song from ELL he ever played live.

old school likes this.
  4. SoundAdvice

Janie saw Jimi for one day in Feb 1968. Then a 2-3 Days in Sept 1968, which was a couple weeks before it came out and basically complete. Janie was 6-7 in 1968

How true was it about Al's "blues 45s"? When Al could pay for electricity. I also thought Jimi got heard blues 78s or LPs at other people's houses like Fayne Pidgeon.

5. old school

old school Senior Member

I'm not setting a low bar! Whatever gave you that impression? Read both my posts instead of one little snippet of what I was saying. I was around and heard Jimi before his first album came out in 8 /1967 in America I want these new SACD'S to sound the very best they can be. Jimi deserves the best after 50 years.

6. old school

old school Senior Member

So Noel played on 5 of the 16 songs. Jack Casady on 1 and Jimi the rest. The recording was the beginning of the end between Jimi & Noel.

905 likes this.
  7. Morton LaBongo

Morton LaBongo Forum Resident

Wow, I hope this really happens! I'd love a box set with 5.1 mix and outtakes. Jimi's actual official releases during his lifetime amounted to only six albums if I'm not mistaken - the three studio albums, the live Gypsies album, the Smash Hits compilation and the Otis Redding - JHE live in Monterey album. I think he was also still alive for the release of the Woodstock album as well, but that wasn't all Hendrix. Of all these albums, he probably had the most control production-wise over Electric Lady. It really deserves a good full box set treatment.

Maidenpriest and old school like this.
  8. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

It would seem at this stage Eddie's only in it for the money, pimping himself.
    Or he's really, really concerned what unimaginable antics Janie would be up to without him in the picture.

9. SoundAdvice

Chas Chandler played on Stone Free/Hey Joe in 1966, which was only revealed in 2008.

10. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

So far Janie's only mentioned "some outtakes" and unseen photos. No mention of a 5.1 mix. Kramer has seemed to dismiss this idea in recent years. I guess we'll see.

11. rjp

rjp Senior Member

of course there will be a 50th anniversary and a 55th and a 60th and 65th and so and so on and so on.

and miraculously, there will always be something that they find to put on there that you never heard before.

and just for the record, how many times has 'electric ladyland' been re-issued since CD's first came out....5, 6. 10?

bluejimbop likes this.
  12. lennonfan1

lennonfan1 Senior Member

I think Jimi was even thinking in terms of surround at this point but obviously there still wasn't yet a way to bring it into homes.
    ..but my grandmother's 1959 zenith console had 'extended stereo' for hooking up surround speakers, only problem was it wasn't discrete.
    I really believe that's why Jimi used so many phasing effects.

old school likes this.
  13. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

I'd stop short of saying "pimping." That's a bit harsh for my taste. But Eddie Kramer is definitely riding the gravy train. But...how can you really blame the guy for taking advantage of a lucrative opportunity that's been thrown in his lap? I mean, what a great job to have! I find his "reminiscences" to be contrived and superficial to the point of being annoying. But he does do fairly decent job getting the music out there in somewhat decent sound quality.

telepicker97 and Maidenpriest like this.
  14. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Pimping was a bit harsh. Lucrative opportunity beats common sense and respect for his old employer though; is that supposed to be admirable? Naw.

15. Bink

Bink Forum Resident

Didn't some acoustic demos for some of EL come to light a few years ago? Would be great to have these as part of any anniversary set.

16. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Not admirable, but understandable (to me, anyway).

17. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Actually only 4 re-issues since it was first put out on CD in 1984 (not counting Japanese issues - those guys put something out every time a new tech comes out like Blu Spec and Blu Spec 2). So...not that many really, especially considering that timeframe covers 2 "stewards" (Douglas, then EH) and multiple record labels.

John Buchanan likes this.
  18. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Even if EH decides to release a deluxe/anniversary edition of Electric Ladyland, one suspects it will disappoint.

19. sons of nothing

sons of nothing Forum Resident

It'd be awesome if it was released in a box set with the RAH shows...but we'd have a better chance of Janie cutting our hair.

20. The Ole' Rocker

The Ole' Rocker Forum Resident

I imagine the second.

21. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

Relax I was having some fun and at the same typing poking the 97 CDs (which I hate), Don't get too serious..... Of course we all want the SACDs to sound good. Buying basically the same item again in a different format is highly irritating though. As customers we have the choice not to buy. Since I have yet to hear the first 3 Jimi albums on CD sound as good as I think they should I will probably buy the SACDs. Especially when I was so impressed with the Machine Gun SACD. I was less impressed with the PHA SACD but it is still good.

22. sleeptowin

sleeptowin Forum Resident

$35 for a CD! no chance. can you play SACD on normal players? i don't really know what they are.

23. Lonson

Lonson I'm in the kitchen with the Tombstone Blues

Yes, you can play hybrid SACDs on a regular cd player, there are both cd and SACD layers.

bluejimbop and Maidenpriest like this.
  24. SoundAdvice

Is each album 2 layer releases at 80 minutes each?

25. ti-triodes

ti-triodes Senior Member

The SACD layer is usually a hi-rez version of what is on the CD layer, whatever length it is. There may also be a surround mix, depending on the disc.

MarshallMan and bluejimbop like this.