Jimi Hendrix Experience Electric Ladyland (50th Anniversary Edition) 4-CD Box EH/Sony Nov. 9

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by kanakaris, Mar 21, 2018.

1. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

What? I thought the alternative was deportation to a Siberian death camp. :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:.

Off course they are, in case you want the little pieces of uncirculated outtakes.
    Gimme a break.

Pouchkine likes this.
  2. audiomixer

audiomixer As Bald As The Beatles

I was just saying: Don't buy the box set. Simple.

3. fast'n'bulbous

fast'n'bulbous tight also

Reminds me of the joke in Annie Hall:

Old lady #1: "Boy, the food at this place is really terrible."
    Old lady #2 "Yeah, I know, and such small portions."

DrJ, steviebee, Judge Judy and 2 others like this.
  4. TheWalrusWasPaul

TheWalrusWasPaul Forum Resident

Maybe there'll be a 51st anniversary edition?

I'm not even kidding.

5. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

Well I just got the promo email from EH and it still says "newly discovered 2 track soundboard" for the Hollywood Bowl disc. Another wait and see?

Pouchkine and DTK like this.
  6. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Thanks for your input.

7. noname74

noname74 Allegedly Canadian

Vote with your wallet and cancel your pre-order. It's what I did.

DTK likes this.
  8. Wayne Hubbard

Wayne Hubbard Forum Resident

Can someone help me with a timestamp for the portion of the show with Kramer. The only stream I see is the full 3 hour show.

9. John Harchar

Kramer's portion starts around 1:42-1:43

Wayne Hubbard likes this.
  10. Chris M

Chris M Senior Member In Memoriam

Eddie Kramer was not Jimi Hendrix's producer. Needed to he said.

11. Wayne Hubbard

Thanks John :edthumbs:

12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member

I doubt it, after the pre-release blurb. That "little tape machine" must have been plugged into the soundboard.

Last edited: Oct 16, 2018
    DTK likes this.
  13. 50 years old today 10/16/68

ti-triodes, ssmith3046, SG47 and 3 others like this.
  14. Wayne Hubbard

Just listened to the BBC bit. I don't know who had the idea to have "Angel Caterina" be the song to promote the box set. It is a very rough sounding outtake. Kind of gloomy as well. Could have used a more uptempo song to gain people's interest. Anyways, good to hear Kramer's enthusiasm for the project. I also suspect that the "little tape machine" was recording from the soundboard as was previously mentioned. One of the songs from the concert would have been a better choice to showcase something "new".

15. John Harchar

Looking at what's available, you either had to go with one of the solo hotel demos, one of the Long Hot Summer Night takes (probably the best alternative depending on how complete they are) or the other 1983. AC does have the same band as Jimi's "#1" single in the US* so...

*-whatever obscure chart Somewhere topped back in 2013, still have not been able to track down which one it was. It wasn't the Hot 100, that I do know.

16. Far be it from me to get crosswise with you Chris, but I think Eddie was about as close to being Jimi's producer as anyone during those last couple years. You're right, not 100% -- but I think at least a good 50%.

Or they were certainly co-collaborators (maybe co-conspirators?) in what 'production' work was done on Jimi's output during that timeframe. Partner's in crime? Two musketeers?

I get what you're saying, but I think he both was -- and wasn't -- Jimi's producer. Probably to varying extents, depending on the song. Kramer wasn't Jimi's "Tony Visconti" (a la Bowie). But I think(?) he was more than just an "engineer".

Sharp 1080 and Purple Jim like this.
  17. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

No. Little tape machines plug into soundboards no problem I have done it myself as well to get nice SBD cassette masters. They can also sound pretty dang good depending on the machine used. So it will be an SBD. It is concerning that Kramer says he needed to tweak it for it to sound better. However, I think we need to consider Eddie is mostly used to having the highest caliber recordings to play with. (Major exception being Cologne) So his saying the tape was not at that level is completely expected. It should still be an upgrade to the old aud tape I am sure. How much we will have to see. This is definitely a new source.

Pouchkine, DTK and dee like this.
  18. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah. Probably it's similar to the Woburn soundboard, which is pretty rough and was probably recorded on a little machine too.

19. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

Simon & Garfunkel/Rascals soundboards from same month/venue are on youtube.

DTK likes this.
  20. ranasakawa

ranasakawa Forum Resident

I am buying the box but it is definitely hugely disappointing they didn't have more studio unreleased stuff included.
    The Beatles White Album box which I will also get shows how it can be done well, and even they could have added more unreleased stuff.

There is a box set of all the BBC songs from the band Family coming out, that is how a box set should be done with better respect for the artists (and the fans) sadly I won't be getting that as I am not in a financial situation where I can buy every box that comes out.

crossroads69, 905 and Chris M like this.
  21. Wayne Hubbard

Didn't see this posted. Eddie Kramer talking about the demo/outtake disc. Some of the same script from the BBC segment. Nothing really new. Some small snippets of solo Angel and Long Hot Summer Night and I believe one of the Rainy Day jams.

Hopefully we will get a similar video on the Hollywood Bowl concert. So, we'll know what the sq of the show is

905 likes this.
  22. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Eddie let the fans down with this box set. Certainly he isn’t the sole decision-maker, but the bonus content is very light, and some of that falls on him.

23. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

jhm and crozcat like this.
  24. Glenn Christense

Glenn Christense Foremost Beatles expert... on my block

I just preordered this through Amazon for the 42 bucks and change in the odd event the price goes up again at some point.
    I'm not even sure if I need this but for 4 discs and a book its not a bad price, but the content seems sort of disappointing in a way also.

Now I have around three weeks to think about it and can always cancel.

dee and Pouchkine like this.
  25. mcwlod

mcwlod Outside Looking In

Sorry if this has been covered before (didn’t see it) but do you think there will be later avalaible a single- disc edition of Bernie Grundmann remastered CD ?
    That’s all that I’d be interested with this projekt...

Pouchkine likes this.