Jimi Hendrix General Discussion Thread.

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Jul 9, 2021.

1. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

I'm looking to reconstruct the unreleased 1969 live album. Star-Spangled Banner is on the list of songs whereever I can find them, but was it played at the show? I can't see it on any setlists from San Diego where it's supposed to be taken from. Do any mixes for this album, other than the 2 on the purple box, circulate?

2. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Here's one to give thanks for this Thanksgiving. I have no details other than it's a NSB (never seen by me, at least) from Philadelphia's Electric Factory, which places it February 1968. What's especially intriguing is Jimi appears to be playing a Fender Jazzmaster! If I get additional details I'll post an update.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Crungy, iggyd, Crimson Witch and 9 others like this.
  3. Jim Fixx

Jim Fixx Forum Resident

The reason why that book was so venerated was because it didn't just stop at being a biography, for which Electric Gypsy was well-suited--and acts as the right companion for Crosstown Traffic--but because Shaar-Murray does a damn good job of analyzing and explaining to the layperson who influenced and in turn was influenced by Jimi, providing a good cross-section of recommended releases for the reader. In order to truly contextualize Hendrix who lived far too short of a life, I think all of that was necessary.

Obviously the only complaint I have now would be a minor one, is that the book needs a serious update.

4. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

Yes he did play a Jazzmaster sometimes around that time. There’s a few photos around of him with it. I don’t know if he favoured it for any specific songs (like Red House maybe?).

5. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

I knew he occasionally had one around for studio work but I didn't recall seeing it being used in concert.

It was pointed out to me elsewhere that this is actually the March 31, 1968 Philadelphia gig at The Arena.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  6. Good heart

Good heart Forum Resident

Kathy’s first husband was violent towards her and the marriage didn’t last. Kathy is now married to a doctor. One of the women in the hotel room with Jimi was Angie Burdon. After she divorced Eric her life spiralled out of control with drug addiction and violence, and sadly she was murdered by her partner.

7. Good heart

27/11/1942-18/9/1970. Jimi would have turned 80.

8. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

I find that for the serious collector it is best used as a guide only and for hard facts i only feel comfortable with another couple of sources that match up with the Discogs findings.

Vintage1976 likes this.
  9. All Down The Line

Very sad, i did not know that.

10. All Down The Line

She lives in Sydney no?

11. Good heart

I think it might be Melbourne.

All Down The Line likes this.
  12. Lord Summerisle

Lord Summerisle Forum Resident

Yes she's in Melbourne, or at least she was. I spoke to her years ago about a possible interview but nothing came of it.

All Down The Line and Good heart like this.
  13. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Ive heard Adelaide/SA.

14. Good heart

She might have moved to Adelaide. Kathy moved to Australia a while ago and she was living in Melbourne.

weavzy and All Down The Line like this.
  15. Good heart

I admire Kathy for trying to determine the circumstances of how Jimi died way back in 1970. She interviewed a lot of people associated with Jimi and the ones who attended to Jimi the morning of 18/9/1970 even though the Attorney General of the time saw no need to reopen the case.

16. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

I reference it though never use it as even a guide. The problem with the site, for me at least is that it all too often quoted as seen on many a discussion forum.

All Down The Line likes this.
  17. Jon-A

Jon-A Forum Resident

Dang, missed it...

Nov.26 at 2pm, Seattle's Museum of History and Industry (MOHAI) is excited to welcome Janie Hendrix, President and CEO of Experience Hendrix, L.L.C., for a Q&A with LaNesha DeBardelaben, President and CEO of the Northwest African American Museum. President and CEO of Experience Hendrix, the family company of the legendary musician, Ms. Hendrix will have a candid conversation with the audience, moderated by LaNesha DeBardelaben, President and CEO of the Northwest African American Museum.

[​IMG]

18. All Down The Line

Happily i must have missed most of those! ;)

19. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

The LA version is on West Coast Seattle Boy in a mix from back then. For some reason they mixed two versions of Purple Haze, I guess to give themselves an option-with SSB or without.

A Local Bloke and kees1954 like this.
  20. Kassonica

Kassonica Forum Resident

a 100 pages on jimi's 80th birthday :pineapple:

21. dylankicks

dylankicks Forum Resident

I am fortunate to share the same birthday as Jimi! Happy 80th my man!

Library Eye and jdthebrit1 like this.
  22. JimiHendrix

JimiHendrix Forum Resident

congrats jimi and bruce lee

kanakaris likes this.
  23. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Some of you know that the music and life of Jimi Hendrix have been a cornerstone of my life since I first heard him in 1967, when I was 11 years old. That fascination endured and led to the five years I spent writing Modern Listener Guide: Jimi Hendrix. And of course, it continues today, as I’ve just posted a new free chapter of the book available at www.modernlistenerpublishing.com Over the years I’ve met or communicated with many people who knew or played with Jimi, and am always on the lookout for a new depiction from someone who interacted with Jimi directly. To celebrate today’s date marking Jimi’s 80th birthday, here’s a remembrance that I just came across weeks ago in Vintage Guitar magazine. It’s from an interview with Jeff “Skunk” Baxter, known for his guitar work with Steely Dan and the Doobie Brothers, as well as hundreds of recording sessions. But this stage is set well before success found either Jeff or Jimi, when both were eeking out an existence in New York City and haunting the music scene in Greenwich Village. I hope you’ll enjoy this story, because tales like this help paint a more complete picture of the person behind the music - music which, as we all know, speaks for itself. Happy birthday, Jimi!

“I was working at a music store on 48th Street in New York, and I’d put together a right-handed guitar for a left-handed player. I set it up, but the gentleman (who ordered it) never came back. Jimi came in with a beat-up Fender Duo-Sonic and was looking for another instrument. He seemed like a nice cat, so I traded him for it. In my blissful ignorance, the instrument I gave him was much more than the one I got in return, and the shop docked me three weeks pay.

“Anyway, Jimi invited me to come and listen to his band. The bass player was late, so I played a couple of tunes because they had to go on.

“We became the kind of friends where you don’t see each other a lot, but there’s a closeness when you do. I thought very highly of him, and I thought about how he served his country. Down in the Village, where we used to play, people would say things about the Vietnam war, and he would become very quiet. All he wanted to do was play guitar. He was a fine human being. I took that one a little harder than usual.”

[​IMG]

24. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

Did it say so in the booklet?

25. beatstonemargo

beatstonemargo Forum Resident

I was in grade 10, already a veteran of the British invasion, when a classmate brought in Jimi's first LP, Are You Experienced, to class. Our home room teacher would let us play music on the class record player before classes began for the day...thanks Mr. Gellard! It was the very first time most of us had even heard of Jimi, but boy, what a revelation. That was my beginning...purchased the subsequent LPs upon release and spent hours trying to learn the music on my guitar. Interestingly, it was a female classmate who brought that first LP in, here I go again...thank you Marilyn L!