Jimi Hendrix - Live In Maui 1970 - New official release (20th November 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

1972 :hide:

2. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

Nice looking package but I almost don't care.

November release will mean I'm unlikely to see it before halfway through next year if I pre order with EH given the result with the BOG 50th.

Can't get anything delivered from international unless it's couriered or priority post which makes it too costly, with exchange rate added.

Any local sellers who get stock will charge a premium, like every other new box or any new vinyl.

All Down The Line and hiterss like this.
  3. frank3si

frank3si Forum Resident

Found it in my own notes archive for Modern Listener Guide: Jimi Hendrix - the topic appears to have started coming up toward the end of 2016...

4. SoundAdvice

SoundAdvice Senior Member

EH used "Live in Cologne" and "Live in Ottawa" on Dagger live albums.

EH used "at" for Monterey/Winterland/IOW/Oakland/Woodstock/George's Garage/Fillmore East/Clark/Woburn/Hollywood Bowl

After walking several miles is the wind probably made some quite cranky. Not sure there was anything to eat/drink. Some carried their kids there. Even the gear had to be lugged up a mountain without roads.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  5. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

3/18/18 SUNDAY 8-10 PM Eastern
    Host: Dr. Bob Hieronimus, Ph.D.

Guest One: Janie Hendrix, 8-8:30pm
    At 20:10 mark.
    03_18_18JanieHendrix_21stCenturyRadio.mp3

Tim Bucknall, xaml, Sean and 6 others like this.
  6. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

Take my money.

7. Chemguy

Chemguy Forum Resident

Love it! Yep, if the wind wasn’t blowing that day, it wasn’t Kihei!

Tim Bucknall and Headfone like this.
  8. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

I'm interested but I'll wait for reviews before ordering; if it's good I'll certainly get it, but if it's bootleg quality I'll pass. There's already more music coming out this year than I can handle.
    Technically it's a county too, so it works (although you'd probably need to append county to the title). But yes, "Live in Maui" does sound strange to my ears. "Live in the Isle of Wight?"

andrewskyDE and SteveM like this.
  9. They're too late with this.
    The bootleggers beat them to it. There are 2CD sets already out and being sold on eBay.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  10. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

I’m sure they’ve done what they can to reduce the wind noise. It is what it is. The original recording wasn’t made under the best conditions, but there’s no changing that now. It’s still Jimi Hendrix.

11. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

As someone who lived for a short while on Maui (Upcountry) and taught at Seabury Hall, the school that is essentially right across the road from the field where Jimi played, I'm looking forward to this documentary, not to mention the official release of the audio/video. Some of the interviews in the original Rainbow Bridge film were recorded on the Seabury campus, so I'm hoping for more footage along those lines.

12. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

There were bootlegs of Woodstock, Winterland, and the Band of Gypsys shows, too. I prefer to buy official vinyl from Experience Hendrix where possible, both for the good quality of their pressings and for the booklets and liner notes.

13. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

This depends. Obviously we are speculating, but recent technology may have enabled the sound to be upgraded. Also the video content has never been bootlegged in full and never in a high definition transfer. So even if the audio is on par with the bootlegs (which I doubt) the video components here will at least be the best visually we have seen it and presumably more complete based on the little blurb posted so far. How complete? Who knows, but the footage we have so far seems to indicate several cameras running from the first show introduction until one of the last songs of the second show, so it's possible we may get quite a bit more footage than has been released in the past.

14. misteranderson

misteranderson Forum Resident

The shipping SNAFU with the BOG 50th happened right along with the worst of COVID here in the Northeast US. I never got a notice it had shipped. It just showed up, at least a month after I expected it.

I try to avoid international shipping too - the shipping is nearly as expensive as the item being shipped.

hi_watt likes this.
  15. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Listen to "Hey Baby" on the Purple Box set for reference if you have it. That's the worst it could possibly sound if mastered properly. Here's hoping that tech has advanced enough in the past 20 years to make it sound even better.

Edit: Even in it's worst form, these Maui tapes will sound like a modern multitrack recording compared to the Hollywood Bowl '68 audio they gave us with the EL 50th!

16. misteranderson

Fingers crossed it's a revelation, quality-wise.

Nothing on Authentic Hendrix yet.

andrewskyDE likes this.
  17. challenge

challenge Forum Resident

Spent a few days in Upcountry on our honeymoon.

Man I loved it saw an incredible Haleakalā sunrise and thought of the First Rays of the New Rising Sun album cover when I saw it.

It was later on that I found Jimi had spent some time up there and played. I have been trying to find a worthy release of all of it looks like we have one coming.

18. E.Baba

E.Baba Forum Resident

6 months etc.

Price for priority post for 3 T Shirts to AU showed as $70AU when I looked recently!
    (Not bought).

19. Echoes71

Echoes71 Forum Resident

Maui is a magical place, for sure. I miss it every day!

Mark7 likes this.
  20. misteranderson

$50US. Damn.

I went for some excellent Jazz records direct from a great label in Paris early in the summer, and paid a premium (about $50) to get them in just a week. I figured it was worth it to help out a one-man operation in a city that was hit pretty hard in the spring. Can't justify doing anything like that just for t-shirts.

E.Baba likes this.
  21. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

We all have have heard the (almost) complete audio, but hopefully it's an upgrade to what's out there. But I don't see any revelations on that side of the house. I wonder if they have "Lover Man" without the cut? Will they use Mitch's dubbed drums?
    My true hope is we get much more video, but who knows. We do know there is video for "Fire," "Doll Dagger" and others from the brilliant fan project. Can you imagine the ENTIRE set on video? Unlikely, still fun to think about. (I still don't know why the entire IOW was not shot. Or was some of that film lost?)
    Sounds like there is a documentary element as well as they "dragged" Billy Cox over the Maui to talk about the gig.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  22. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Man this has made my day.

The possible release date is my birthday...and that day is also penciled in for me to order my first Fender Custom Shop Strat (thanks to my beautiful wife), a black maple neck 1968 reissue no less...so much Jiminess in one day!!!

23. Al Gator

Al Gator You can call me Al

That sounds much better than I thought it would based on the comments in this thread. If the mastering is as good as the Groovy Children set, I'm in for the CDs.

24. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Well given the heavy foam they put on the mics to cut down on the wind I don't think there's any way it'll sound as good as Groovy Children, however I trust Bernie Grundman to do a nice job with what he's given. EH has such a spotty record when it comes to futzing with the dynamics of the audio, let's pray they leave this one alone like they did on Groovy Children!!!

25. Spencer R

Spencer R Forum Resident

EH’s vinyl releases are consistently good. I have West Coast Seattle Boy, Songs for Groovy Children, Valleys of Neptune, In The West, the new Band of Gypsys, and several other EH releases on LP, and they all sound good. I expect they will get the most out of the Maui tapes they have. If this set doesn’t sound as good as Songs for Groovy Children, so be it.

marcb, Tuck1977, Sean and 1 other person like this.