Jimi Hendrix - Live In Maui 1970 - New official release (20th November 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Zoso88

Zoso88 Forum Resident

This is great news and an instant buy. Can anyone elaborate on the video content? Will this be professional shot footage or amateur footage?

All Down The Line and J_D__ like this.
  2. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

It will likely be similar to the Monterey and Atlanta films, a mix of everything from older footage to new interviews. It’d be great to have the bulk of it just be the straight sets as shot for the film (as much as they have) without interruption.

3. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

I thinks it's wait and see, no pun intended. But this show was professionally shot, some of which ended up in the Rainbow Bridge movie. But who knows what was shot? Some other pro footage has leaked out over the years, but it was from a single cams. I also wonder if there might be some off stage film of Jimi.

4. I'll wait until I read the reviews from this. I've seen the boot/unofficial recording in many places. After buying that Kinks Kontroversy on RSD, I have become much more conservative about rock releases on vinyl. The jazz releases and the soul releases out of the U.K. receive better treatment.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  5. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

Don't remind me. I would have been happy to give Dagger 17 bucks for a standalone -- but, NO -- they have to stick it in what could have been one of the best box sets of all time. A show that basically had no connection to the album that was being "honored". :realmad:

(OK -- I think I'm ready to move on...)

6. Mullin

Mullin Forum Resident

7. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

No, but he's been their go to guy since 2013. It'd be surprising if they made a change now.

8. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Link? Cant find it..

9. J.Lucas

J.Lucas Forum Resident

3/18/2018
    on the 21st Century Radio interview...Janie talks about upcoming projects at the 19mt mark
    10.89 MB file on MEGA

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  10. Tullman

Tullman Senior Member

I am in for the vinyl and blu-ray package.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  11. the pope ondine

the pope ondine Forum Resident

i dont have spotify, what does it sound like?

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  12. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

As jhm pointed out, this new album is a live recording of the Maui gig. The Rainbow Bridge album consisted of studio recordings plus the definitive Hear My Train A Comin from Berkeley Community Center 1970.
    The film Rainbow Bridge was an hour and a quarter of hippy nonsense and surfing footage with 15 minutes of the Maui concert tagged on at the end.

Yes, unfortunately it looks like the video disc included here (and sold seperately?) is merely a documentary about the gig and what led up to it. Janie termed it a "documentary" in that interview years ago. The usual boring talking heads, intercut with clips of the two sets.
    We can only hope that there is a bonus section with all the footage that they have. However they can't have much because if they did, they would have titled the Blu-ray "Live In Maui" just like the album!
    The circulated bootleg video has about an hour of concert footage but it's fragmented - a few numbers are of very poor quality with effects and landscape imagery superimposed (because the footage was too dark at sunset - no lighting).

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
  13. Piiijiii

Piiijiii Hundalasiliah

It's also on Amazon Unlimited, just listening.

I usually get the lastest Hendrix stuff for christmas and this is no exception. I just hope that the documentary isn't just the common interviews by the usual suspects and that they unearthed something great.

the pope ondine likes this.
  14. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

15. wildstar

wildstar Senior Member

16. Dr. Luther's Assistant

Dr. Luther's Assistant dancing about architecture

It's all looking pretty good to me, at this point. And I generally go into these things with diminished expectations. (Beaten into submission, as it were.)

I'm fairly excited about this.
    God Bless, Jimi.

Tim Bucknall, JorgeGvb, J_D__ and 2 others like this.
  17. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

Well if it all sounds as good as that VCSL clip, I'll be more than satisfied.

Bring it on.

smoke, dee, oneway23 and 5 others like this.
  18. Purple Jim

Wow! Great to see some of that footage in pro quality at last. Sounds good too!

Tim Bucknall, smoke, dee and 10 others like this.
  19. No doubt you've heard all this material before - I haven't - so I was wondering how do these two shows compare to other released or well known 1970 live Hendrix in terms of performance and sound / technical issues?

squittolo likes this.
  20. Purple Jim

The performance is great. Jimi is relaxed are really having fun (unlike the dreary Atlanta and IOW shows or the raggedy Randall Island show). His playing is top notch and the sets are interesting.
    I think this was the complete set list (correct me where wrong)

First Show
    Spanish Castle Magic
    Lover Man 
H
    Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)
    In From the Storm
    Message of Love
    Foxy Lady
    Hear My Train a Comin'
    Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    Fire
    Purple Haze/Star Spangled Banner

Second Show
    Dolly Dagger
    Villanova Junction
    Ezy Ryder
    Red House
    Freedom
    Beginning
    Straight Ahead
    Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)
    Stone Free/ Hey Joe

This came out on Purple Haze Records years ago:
    CD 1 "The Early Show"- Lover Man/Hey Baby/In From The Storm/Message To Love/Foxy Lady/Hear My Train A Comin/Voodoo Child (Slight return)/Fire/Purple Haze
    CD 2 "The Late Show" - Dolly Dagger/Instrumental/Ezy Ryder/Red House/Freedom/Jam Back At The House/Land Of The New Rising Sun

As you can hear from the Voodoo Chile (Slight Return) clip above, sound quality seems very good. On the day, they had trouble with the wind and they didn't record Mitch's drums adequately, so he overdubbed drums onto some songs for the film. It remains to be seen what Experience Hendrix have done for the other songs. On the bootlegs, Mitch's drums sound like dustbin lids on some tracks.

21. Deek57

Deek57 Forum Resident

The "Purple Haze" label release sounds like it came from master tapes, ownership of which were disputed for years. Iirc those tapes came from the estate of Michael Jeffrey. I played that "Purple Haze" release last week, it sounds pretty good to me. I will be buying the Vinyl/CDs Blu-ray of the upcoming release of course.

Tim Bucknall likes this.
  22. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

cheers.
    I surprisingly never had the Rainbow Bridge album, but I did have the movie on VHS at some point, from somewhere..... As you say it was hippy dippy nonsense and then some music.... It is years since I saw it, but I seem to remember the footage being pretty decent, and wishing that the whole movie was just the concert..... That is sort of why I asked.

Cheers.

Tim Bucknall and Purple Jim like this.
  23. Purple Jim

Track listing:

1 Chuck Wein Introduction
    2 Hey Baby (New Rising Sun)
    3 In From the Storm
    4 Foxey Lady
    5 Hear My Train A-Comin'
    6 Voodoo Child (Slight Return)
    7 Fire
    8 Purple Haze
    9 Spanish Castle Magic
    10 Lover Man
    11 Message to Love
    12 Dolly Dagger
    13 Villanova Junction
    14 Ezy Ryder
    15 Red House
    16 Freedom
    17 Jam Back at the House (Beginning)
    18 Straight Ahead
    19 Hey Baby (New Rising Sun) / Midnight Lightning
    20 Stone Free

Source:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Live-Maui-.../ref=tmm_msc_swatch_0?_encoding=UTF8&qid=&sr=

squittolo, Hep Alien, Tiki and 18 others like this.
  24. dryjoy

dryjoy Brother In Sound

Here’s hoping. VC is one of the songs with overdubbed drums, and they’ve clearly used those here (very obvious at some points), so the true test will be the songs which did not have drums overdubbed. I forget the details, but some of the mics didn’t get recorded or something.

25. mark winstanley

mark winstanley Certified dinosaur, who likes physical product

Nice track listing... Man I hope it is a dvd of the full concert ... I hope they have got the sound right .... without overdubs, or at least obvious ones ...

supernaut and SG47 like this.