Jimi Hendrix - Live In Maui 1970 - New official release (20th November 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

His guitar is out of tune on the first minute or two. He tunes it on-the-fly.

I certainly noticed it on the first time i heard that version, but it never bothered me at all.

2. masswriter

masswriter Minister At Large

so, what would the correct order of these tracks be? Has someone posted it here? Why on earth do these labels like to change the order of a show?

Fox67, Ignatius and thnkgreen like this.
  3. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

OUCH! The jump in Lover Man hurt my neck! However, it still could've been put in its proper place in the set and not been out of place. Think I'll just take the three songs at the end and stick them in front of Hey Baby and call it a day since they stuck the intro to Message at the end of Lover Man and I don't have time to do re-editing and trying to jam Message in where it goes...nah, I'll take the easy way out.

It's definitely clear which songs have the original drums and the overdubs. The sound's decent enough, though it would've been a stretch to put most of them on an album back in 1971 (then again, King Crimson's Earthbound was released, so...)

4. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

Got to listen to LP 1 last night and was pleasantly surprised how good it sounded. To get this set for only $42 is well worth it, can't wait to listen to the other two records. And no, I'm not saying this is off the chart good, but damn, it sounded mighty fine when I had it cranked last night!

All Down The Line, The Beave and jhm like this.
  5. John Fell

John Fell Forum Survivor

There was a recent discussion about rearranging setlists over in the UFO Strangers In The Night Deluxe Edition thread as well now that the release of all of the shows familiarized people with the actual show running orders. It seems most of the people on that thread prefer the rearranged setlist because that is the way they were used to listening to it on the original album. I prefer the actual running order myself.

squittolo likes this.
  6. masswriter

I was just wondering if the JH people had an actual reason, or it was all a whim to unartfully fit music on two discs?

7. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

I think it's like the album version of Machine Gun, although there are many good versions, he absolutely nailed it one time, and that was at Berkeley.

I have spent some time with the Maui version of Train now and would say it's very good but not in the top 5.

8. John Harchar

It’s a good version but loses focus at times and doesn’t have a strong ending. Whatever tuning issues Berkeley has, he is ON that song beginning to end.

9. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

John McDermott discusses the the reasoning behind the swapped sequencing from the original recording order. He mentions the non-recording and other "tape glitches" and as a producer he made the call to re order for "what hopefully is a better listening experience".

A guess that would be dependent on how familiar each of us are with the original recordings and just how easy we can get over how it is set in our thinking.

Personally, I'd have left it as is but listening to the disc's yesterday and it works just as well.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
    All Down The Line, The Beave and DTK like this.
  10. kenticus

kenticus Forum Resident

maui hear my train certainly rips - keeping it out of top 5 though? If that’s the case, then what’s top 5?

11. masswriter

got it, thanks.

12. John Harchar

They included all the music on the tapes they bave, which has a few dropouts and trims but the songs are there. I guess since they’re missing the opening of Hey Baby they thought it’d be better to have that at the start instead of the middle. I don’t think it’s an issue but like with the BoG box, they want to present a good ‘listening’ experience over archival presentation.

13. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I concur. if he did tuning on the fly, then fook it...Jimi was a pro and made it work.

All Down The Line and Purple Jim like this.
  14. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

On my last version of the Maui recordings I have a patched-up repaired version of Lover Man (I can't remember if I did it or if I got it from somewhere). It's not perfect but at least it maintains the flow of the song.

15. John Harchar

I’ll probably do that at some point like I did with the Hollywood Bowl. Pop ‘em into Final Cut, put them next to each other, match up the beginning, slide the end over and make the patch as nice as possible.

Purple Jim likes this.
  16. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I'll take your word for it :) Whatever Jimi does/did on the Berkeley take of Hear My Train, he makes it work. I'll say I've never heard a bad version of Hear My Train (aka Gettin' My Heart). They all have goodness within and something to offer, but I consider the Berkeley take as the definitive one. Good thing this isn't a Dead thread. Can you imagine the debate over a definitive Dark Star? ;)

jhm and Doctor Flang like this.
  17. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Funnily enough, no one have yet mentioned that Jimi fluffs the lyrics a bit in the last verse. Not that it matters: It just goes to prove, that the song in question is about a performance, not just by Jimi, but by Mitch (and Billy or Noel) too. That said, I'm quite fond of the live BOG version.

All Down The Line and DTK like this.
  18. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Thanks for sharing your insights here, Kurt :righton:. To answer your earlier question, yeah, I uploaded the screen grabs onto a free photo sharing site and posted them here. It's actually a pretty quick process IMO.

Kurt Max likes this.
  19. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

In my opinion, it was interesting enough. It's well made and they went to a lot of trouble to obtain some of those interviews it seems. I enjoyed seeing Billy Cox and his recollections the most. That being said, I doubt I'll watch it a whole lot in the future.

20. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

It does have the only self-contained concert version of Hey Baby that we know of so that’s of interest. From what I’ve heard I don’t see how it beats Maui though but if they say so that makes me wonder.

21. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

I think sometimes performers for one reason or another get certain shows stuck in their head as being all time greats, and sometimes when recordings do surface it turns out to be a little different. Jimmy Page always maintained the three MSG shows used for Led Zeppelin's The Song Remains The Same album were not that great of shows and that they had played better at other shows on the tour, but when you listen to the other 1973 shows of which there are recordings of most of the shows, they are pretty close to the top of the heap for that year. Roger Daltrey always claimed Hull was a far superior show to Leeds, but when the tapes were released I think it's almost a unanimous feel that Leeds is the better show. What we have for Honolulu is probably close to half of the gig and based on that I don't feel it's a better gig, so unless they just hit the stratosphere for the rest of that show I can't see it being significantly better than Maui, but would love to be surprised if a more complete recording ever surfaced.

squittolo and vinyldreams like this.
  22. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

In no particular order, I like these versions better than the Maui one:

1. Berkeley '70 (of course)
    2. Miami '68
    3. Fillmore East (Band Of Gypsys) 31-Dec-69 Set 1
    4. Royal Albert Hall 24-Feb-69
    5. Civic Centre, St. Paul, MN - 03-May-1970 (had to stretch a bit for the last one).

Honorable mention to the 10-May-1968 Fillmore East version with the original Experience.

23. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Agreed. It is a virtuoso performance.

24. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Fillmore East with Band Of Gypsys is one.

All Down The Line, kenticus and SG47 like this.
  25. adam_777

adam_777 Forum Resident

Ya Train is good on the Maui show, but it definitely stands out as being one I wouldn't put in the discussion of best ever's. Berkeley is unreal, I'll have to listen to Miami again as I didn't particularly notice that one as a standout in the past, I will say that first set BOG version though is something else, the last time I listened to that show I was totally blown away by it, it would go toe to toe with Berkeley for me for the top spot.

CoachD likes this.