Jimi Hendrix - Live In Maui 1970 - New official release (20th November 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

HI. I apologize for repeating myself from earlier in this thread. Regarding the Hey Joe Maui Tree... I am familiar with it. I'm the guy who made it and put it out. I took the raw silent footage and synced sound etc. Regarding the Voodoo Child segments... There's not really much anymore than shown in the bonus footage. No extra Fire, Ezy Rider, HMT... What's released is basically it... Maybe a few random seconds left out. A close up of Mitch unused but nothing more. Thanks.

2. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

Experiencereunited "To me Red House is the best of material previously uncirculated on this release. Great version, Great camera work and they got the whole song on video. I really like the camera work on this Red House.".

I totally agree. Oddly enough, however, I don't like this version of Red House. Very 'Meah' ... For me.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2020
  3. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

Fair enough.

Purple Jim likes this.
  4. If anyone is on the fence about this release, don't be. The stretch of film from "Dolly Dagger" to "Red House" is staggeringly good. The key features to me is a version of "Villanova Junction" that's every bit the equal (or better) than the Woodstock performance and "Red House" is at least pretty to look at. I think this was Hendrix's best live performance of "Dolly Dagger" (though we don't have many to choose from), though a warning, "Ezy Ryder" is easily one of the worst.

I thought the documentary was enjoyable. It's nice. My only minor quibble with the documentary is too much Chuck Wein and his connection with Andy Warhol. Warhol was a fairly respected innovator, yet Chuck, having studied under Warhol, didn't have the it-factor that Warhol possessed. Therefore, I failed to see why so much of the documentary was given over to Chuck's life and musings.

McDermott did a good job with the documentary, though.

Otherwise, the CDs are a treat, as well. Filling up the majority of the concert, this EH release gives us better SQ, one where you could copy over bits of the Bob Terry tape to fill in the blanks. It's a must purchase.

Gee, all for $30 bucks? Yeah, pretty good.

One part of the booklet that made me do a double-take: Jeff Slate wrote, "...Rainbow Bridge would have been relegated to a footnote in the then-ever-growing Hendrix catalog, and wouldn't rate more than a cursory mention from even the most diehard fan, if the events of September 1970 had turned out just a little bit differently." (emphasis mine), but really, Jeff? Just a little bit differently? As in Hendrix not dying. Yeah, I would say that's a big difference! Huge! :)

RE: "Hear My Train A Comin'" ~ January 11th, 1969, Hamburg, Jimi Hendrix - The All-Encompassing Live Shows Thread , rates up there with the Berkeley take, if not a firm #2, for inventiveness alone, creating a take not structurally duplicated again out of what we have on tape.

5. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

Your wish is my command, o master ;-)
    Hear My Train a Comin' - Jimi Hendrix (Live 1970)

Funky Drummer worked some magic on this, sounds great. My favorite version of this tune.

SG47, MooGooX and Purple Jim like this.
  6. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

?
    There are several complete live versions of that tune. Copenhagen 9/3/70 is a great one.

But yeah, the solo on that tune from Maui is a work of Off The Cuff Nonchalant Briliance. When I was a kid I transcribed it. The double stop sequences are pure Jimi genius. You can transcribe the notes but the feel is uh... very elusive. Jimi had a rhytmic sense that one in ten million people have. I mean like Clyde Stubblefield, Earl Palmer type of level.

7. LA '70, man. That one's a mother****er! :D

But this Maui one, through. Even tacked on with "In From the Storm" is probably my favorite one. It's note-perfect: everything in its right place.

SG47 and ChazFromCali like this.
  8. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

I think Jimi forgot the 2nd verse or last verse or whatever it was. Thought to himself, "OK, time to rock out." then they go into that cool little transition riff. At that point you can see him telling Mitch the next tune.

Purple Jim and EVOLVIST like this.
  9. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

To be clear I wasn’t implying there was additional footage beyond what is in this release except some alternate camera angles for the material that is in this release. AKA during Voodoo Child in particular. While they may be very few that doesnt mean there arent any there. The Voodoo Child edit on this release is not the same as the rAw camera feed you put out. This release has multiple camera angles during Voodoo Child and Rainbow Bridge angles as well. The only way to do that would be to edit the angles from the raw footage you put out during those sequences.

vinyldreams likes this.
  10. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

My apologies if this has been mentioned previously. On the blu-ray I wonder why they chose to use lossy DTS HD and not lossless DTS HD Master? It sounds great though! This is the first live Hendrix blu-ray without lossless surround audio.

Experiencereunited likes this.
  11. Experiencereunited

The Maui Red House might not be one of the all time greats but it is very respectable imo. Also what other filmed Red House’s do we have on film besides 1/9/69 Early Show and Newport 69 and Woodstock?

12. Experiencereunited

LOL and mine doesnt seem to have ability to play the bonus footage in 5.1 at all

13. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

Never gets a mention, but I always enjoyed the BBC version from Dec 67. Short and energetic. "Can you dig that?! Can you dig that?!"

14. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

I never said there was zero unused footage...just almost zero. Maybe 10 seconds mainly audience based...

Purple Jim likes this.
  15. thnkgreen

thnkgreen Sprezzatura!

Was the Honolulu show proceeding the Maui gig recorded at all? I understand that it wasn’t filmed, but is there any audio? Billy Cox makes it sound like the greatest show Jimi ever played.

16. PacificOceanBlue

PacificOceanBlue Senior Member

Not multi-track audio.

thnkgreen likes this.
  17. Experiencereunited

what u just said is exactly what I was driving at. This why I like the raw camera feed options on IOW and Monterey. It gives u just that little bit extra difference to allow an alternate view of events in some places....

18. KipB

KipB Forum Resident

Love that show so much — that super low key intro to Spanish Castle is unique to the live versions and then some great feedback in the solo ... and Voodoo Child is a tour de force for sure.

Gordon Johnson likes this.
  19. Fox67

Fox67 Bad as Can

IOW

Jimi Hendrix-Red House - Vidéo Dailymotion

Experiencereunited likes this.
  20. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

Carlos Santana was in the audience, he said it was a great show. That Red House is smokin'
    [​IMG]

squittolo and dee like this.
  21. Experiencereunited

Fox67 likes this.
  22. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I like the BBC version. “it’s all over. Thank you very much”.

Kurt Max likes this.
  23. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

And that’s the first (or second depending on the take) time it was ever done! Noel really pitches in on that one, his energy that whole session is infectious.

gpalz likes this.
  24. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

I meant one that doesn’t flow right into another song or vice versa like the Copenhagen version. A definite beginning and definite end. This is going by what funkydrummer said about it if I understood him correctly. If not then my mistake.

ChazFromCali likes this.
  25. Tom807

Tom807 Well-Known Member

I’ve been listening to “Live In Maui” since I was a kid. Back then, of course, it was on cassette or bootleg LPs. And the replaced drums version tracks taken from the “Rainbow Bridge” film.
    I agree that this 3LP/2CD+ Blu-Ray is the end - the best version we’re likely ever going to hear and see. So get used to it. They did a great job of raising/repairing the drums on the non-drum dropped-in tracks. And like all purists I wish Jimi’s guitar was mixed louder on all of it. That would be so much better! More realistic! In real life when Jimi was playing live with his THREE Marshall stacks the volume of his guitar was often painful. And the majority of the tine the loudest thing in the “mix”.
    But what a great 2 shows. Some of my fave Hendrix ever. Ever! So many highlights there’s not enough space to discuss it. But today when listening to “Jam Back At The House” (“Beginnings”) I marveled at his playing - soloing like Coltrane, a stream of consciousness improvisation. Genius!
    Hooray! This set is finally officially released!!

squittolo, RiRiIII, Kurt Max and 6 others like this.