Jimi Hendrix - Live In Maui 1970 - New official release (20th November 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

Not the entire song, but better than nothin'
    That version is what I call Ten Pounds of **** in a Five Pound Box. And I mean that in a good way.
    Serious TORQUE.
    Those over bent high notes **** me up inside so much ( in a good way ;-) it's almost like I have an out-of-body experience.

2. ChazFromCali

ChazFromCali INTJ

Oh, now i get it.

3. I might have to rescind this statement. :D

Oh, it's damn good, only I think the visuals took it to another level that was outside of pure musicality.

I guess that's why I've never been a huge fan of there Hendrix videos. I love them, don't get me wrong, but I know that the video can color the music when you see what's happening. Like there's a certain joy to knowing the secret of a magic trick, yet by knowing, you'll never again achieve the same amount of joy as you did when it was mystifying.

That said, these videos further drive home that Jimi Hendrix was a beautiful man to look at. His expressions, they way his fingers moved, the way he held his guitar, was so genuine, even when he was in the throes of showboating. These movements were his, and his alone, even if he wasn't the first to swing his hips like Elvis, or grow his hair long like Little Richard. Because Jimi did it all with a guitar, and for most of his career, a very simple guitar: the Fender Stratocaster. The 6-point synchronized tremelo systems weren't good on these guitars. The pickups had a weakish output of about 5.6ohms. The tuning pegs were useless. Most people, like Miles Davis would have the baddest instrument around. For Jimi Hendrix, he coaxed more sound out of pure will, rather than what the guitar was designed to do. You can see it on Jimi's face when he falls into a hot lick and then leaves it behind as the next moment arrives. The next moment brings the variation, the inverse of the theme, or a changing of tone with the flick of his wrist.

Thats why the life's blood of Jimi Hendrix is his live shows.

I'm thankful that so much was even captured on tape and film in such a short time. This Maui show brings it all home.

4. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

I just checked my Blu-Ray, the documentary, Set 1 and Set 2 all have LPCM 24/48 2.0 Audio.

For 5.1 Audio option, the documentary and Set 2 have DTS Master Audio 5.1. Set 1 has DTS High Resolution 5.1. I’m not sure why Set 1 isn’t listed as Master Audio but since it’s High Resolution I assume it’s still lossless.

5. FrankieFontaine

FrankieFontaine "Just An Hippie Dream"

The 5.1 is not lossless. That is the difference between DTS HD and DTS HD Master Audio. Two different formats, without the “Master” encoding it is lossy.

I checked too, this is strange. Set One has lossy DTS HD but Set Two has lossless DTS HD Master. Weird, must have been an encoding error. Both sound great!

Experiencereunited likes this.
  6. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

Self contained?

7. vinyldreams

vinyldreams Forum Resident

How about “stand alone”?

905, Kermit27 and All Down The Line like this.
  8. gpalz

gpalz Forum Resident

'Yeah, well I got my heart back together."

Some great back and forth dialog between Jimi and the audience on that one for sure.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  9. Quantum Reason

Quantum Reason Forum Resident

Picked up my copy yesterday. Not sure if I should have gone with the LP or not but the CD/Blu-ray set was about half price. I haven't read the whole thread thru, is all the audio there from the show or is it missing some? Thought I read back a few pages where some of the music is missing from a couple of the tracks (like an intro). Or, was it just the video? Seems to be a lot of missing footage though so far. I really wish the included booklet and blu-ray doc would have went more into the recording/re-recording/fixing up of audio, etc instead of all the build up about the film itself. It would have been cool if Eddie Kramer would have shown us how the original audio sounded then gave us a demonstration of how he "fixed" it, etc. I like those docs he did for the CD releases a few years back.
    Seeing a doc about how the movie came together wasn't that interesting to me. I honestly tried to watch the movie itself, unscathed, a few years back but it was pure drudgery.

All Down The Line likes this.
  10. All Down The Line

All Down The Line The Under Asst East Coast White Label Promo Man

For many involved it was likely pure druggery!

adam_777 likes this.
  11. Quantum Reason

Only watching the doc so far. There's a little piece of overdubbed music around 28 min starts with conga drums (?) and an effected clean guitar riff. And, I think there's a little jam piece near/at the end kinda. Is that from the studio or Woodstock? Since it's just an overdub it doesn't sound like it came from the Maui performance. So, the audio from the second set is all natural, sorta speak; not overdrubbed drums?

Last edited: Nov 23, 2020
  12. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Ezy Rider and Hey Baby from the second set has overdubbed drums.

13. Quantum Reason

After listening again, the drums that were there in the non dubbed drums still sound good to my ears. Sure Eddie did something there. I actually probably prefer the non overdubbed tracks as they don't sound so "hyped". Is the original drum audio on the songs that were dubbed having technical issues or they just didn't like how they sounded?

14. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

I prefer the non over dubbed druns as well

15. Purple Jim

Purple Jim Senior Member Thread Starter

Doctor Flang mentioned that Midnight Lightning also had drum overdubs. Is that right? I still havent got my copy.

16. DTK

DTK Forum Resident

Yeah, that's what I meant with "Hey Baby", the instrumental medley of both songs.

Doctor Flang and Purple Jim like this.
  17. Experiencereunited

Tonight I compared the following 4 video versions of Voodoo Child and Hear My Train.

1. Kurt Max”s edit. My version says its from the Maui Video Tree.
    2. Mike Parkers edit
    3. Rainbow Bridge
    4.New EH Bonus footage

Voodoo Child - Turns out all 4 video edits are different. Kurts is by far the worst looking but it does have at least some video not found in the others. I was mistaken in that Kurts is not a single camera angle the whole time like I thought I remembered.

The EH edit changes to the camera angle from stage right 3 times before the first verse while Kurt Max’ edit stays with the same distant camera angle all the way into part of the first verse.
    Other differences I noticed is that Mike Parkers edit has yet another camera angle at times showing close ups of the dancers in front of the stage. There are aud shots from Rainbow Bridge left out of the EH edit such as the girl shown sitting down in the EH edit (watching her arms trailers most likely) standing up and watching her arms in Rainbow Bridge. The dude dancing in the Cowboy hat in Rainbow Bridge is not in the EH edit.

Between HMT and Voodoo Child both Mike Parkers edit and Kurt Maaxs edit show Jimi walking over to a towel to wipe sweat off. Kurt Max’s edit does not have sound during this part but Mike Parkers does. EHs edit cut this completely out.

Hear My Train A Comin - Deapite the new EH edit having more footage than the others (except Mike Parkers which incorporates Strange Day on Maui for parts of it) EHs edit has one major egregious flaw. During the part where Jimi sings “I had to leave that town” in Rainbow Bridge the footage is there and Jimi points stage right as he sings it. In the EH edit at that time is a still of a flag!!! Really! Other than that Mike Parkers edit is my faborite because it has all of Rainbow Bridge plus Strange Day on Maui footage to fill out parts that are just “All Cameras stopped” on EHs edit.

Other things left out on EHs edit frim Rainbow Bridge I bave noticed so far outside of HMT and voodoo child. Any video of naked kids such as the one sitting on the stage steps and one out in the crowd too. I guess political correctness and revisionist history come into play here. Chuck Wein’s speech is longer on Rainbow Bridge and the Gemini twins along with Ohm crowd sequence is removed.

A cursory view of Hey Baby may have revealed a different camera edit as well.. I will have to relook at that one as well as perhaps others.

As far as picture clarity the EH version is by far the bands down winner. The Rainbow Bridge Laserdisc holds its own but is beat out by the new EH release. Mike Parkers edit is also pretty nice while Kurt Max’s (at least the version I have) is a pretty tough watch.

18. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

San Jose' short film.

19. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

Thanks for the breakdown. I'm sure that took some effort and concentration. I plan to do a new edit...fill in the "All cameras stopped" etc. etc. So I will be needing to compare and make sure to use the best bits from the different versions. I will copy your notes and refer to them closely. as far as my version being rough...at the time I was very careful to track down the lowest gen sources from the top world class collectors. Mike and I used the same source for our material. I even sent him the 2nd set material (personally by request) when he was making his...so I'm not sure why it's so rough. Maybe the "Hey Joe Maui Tree" was copied VHS to VHS or something. When I actually do a new edit I am not sure how much Strange Day at Maui to use or not use. That stuff is kind of tedious to my eye (God Bless Duff who filmed it). At one point I synced the Strange Day stuff more closely than M. Parker had done. I've already done re-edits of many Hendrix films. Royal Albert Hall, Miami Pop , even Berkeley. linked

20. Experiencereunited

After reviewing Hey Baby the biggest difference between Rainbow Bridge and the new EH edit is in how they handled the non filmed parts. Rainbow Bridge chose to show footage clearly not part of Hey Baby while EH chose to show stills or crowd shots otherwise the edits are mostly the same.

Kurt Max likes this.
  21. DoctorGero

DoctorGero Forum Resident

Experience Hendrix doesn't have the original film reels of Hey Baby (1st show), so they simply copied from the Rainbow Bridge film. Some parts of the footage used in Hey Baby in the film Rainbow Bridge actually were played during Voodoo Child so they relocated that footage to the right place on the bluray.

22. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

That's fantastic that EH corrected some stuff. I will defo keep that in mind if I attempt any sort of re-edit. BTW the one time I watched the new bonus footage I thought the intro to Ezy Rider was left out of sync. I know the drums were overdubbed but even the guitar was out IIRC. Regarding clips in the right place...In Voodoo Child there are several 'on-stage camera' shots with Jimi (wiggling his shoulder etc.) that never seemed in the right place. Overdubbed drums didn't help to figure it out.

ChazFromCali likes this.
  23. DoctorGero

I have impression that on the cd a little cut is made at the start of Ezy Ryder, I will check it out. This cut is also present on the bluray, that's why it suddenly becomes out of sync with the footage.

In have noticed that the end of Ezy Ryder on the bluray is also out of sync with the footage. After Ezy Ryder there is a little cut (skip) made in the audio when Jimi tunes his guitar, and after this point the audio does sync with the footage. I wonder if this is an error. I don't understand the choice the editors made here.

Anyone noticed that in approximately the first minute of the second Hey Baby (of CD 2) both the original and overdubbed drums are audible at the same time? I think an error is made here. This is not on purpose. Also, the first 6.5 seconds of this Hey Baby has been cut out.

24. DoctorGero

I just checked, and nothing is cut out of Ezy Ryder or Villanova Junction on the Live In Maui cd. I did it by laying the Experience Hendrix and Bob Terry sources side by side in the program Audacity and speed correcting the Bob Terry source which runs almost a percentage faster. I could create a beautiful merge, and everything checks out.

Purple Jim, DTK and jhm like this.
  25. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Technical issues. They weren't recorded well in the first place. Eddie did a LOT of work to bring out those original drums with, as the liner notes state, "we couldn't have dreamed of in 1970" or something to that effect.