Jimi Hendrix - Live In Maui 1970 - New official release (20th November 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. jhm

jhm Forum Resident

Enjoy! It sounds like you've earned it :righton:!

polchik likes this.
  2. pool_of_tears

pool_of_tears Searching For Simplicity

I’m ready.

dee, footlooseman and jhm like this.
  3. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

FYI: I've heard both the cd & a 192/24 needle drop of the LP. I strongly recommend the LP for those with a decent turntable.

4. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

Which of the songs have the overdubbed drums again? I want to see if I can make out the difference.

5. dee

dee Senior Member

I haven't bought this or the new Bowie remix due to work, covid shop hours, and most of all, format indecision! Yours is 1 more post hailing the Maui vinyl release.
    As if I need to store 2 more records, and new ones at that! But sounds like its the way to go for a this week's purchase! The vinyl's only about $10-$15 more I think. Can't wait any longer to have and hear either title!

jhm and pool_of_tears like this.
  6. Gordon Johnson

Gordon Johnson Forum Resident

The "NOBOYS" T-shirt has been bugging me as to where I had seen it before. Jimi's suitcase of course!

7. Doctor Flang

Doctor Flang Forum Resident

Ok, once more!

All of the first set has overdubbed drums, except:

Fire
    Spanish Castle Magic
    Lover Man
    Message to Love

All of the 2nd set has the ORIGINAL drums except:

Ezy Ryder
    Hey Baby / Midnight Lightning

Chris M, lazarus, Studio_Two and 7 others like this.
  8. John Harchar

John Harchar Forum Resident

And you can definitely hear the difference, especially with headphones. Basically any songs from the concert(s) that appeared in the film in part or whole had drums overdubbed (Ezy Ryder was over one of the surfing scenes, correct?).

jhm likes this.
  9. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

They were smart with this release by only including the Blu-Ray in with the CD set, requiring the need to buy both the vinyl and CD to get everything. I’ll get the LP set eventually but the Blu-Ray is essential!

10. scotti

scotti Forum Resident

The Blu-ray is included in the vinyl set...

Aoide, dee, Deek57 and 3 others like this.
  11. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

scotti likes this.
  12. mrlucky56

mrlucky56 Forum Resident

Jam Back At The House misses the beginning. How much trouble would it have been to tack on the beginning of the tune from the audience source? Same w/ the missing Hey Baby intro, that on the original boot had the talk-over.

Mark7 likes this.
  13. mpayan

mpayan A Tad Rolled Off

Listened to the stream of this. Wasnt too familiar with the concert accept for the movie. The sound is what it is. I doubt Ill pick up the vinyl, though the cover is beautiful (Id like to have a nice print of just that pic)

Listening to Jimi play it seems to me based upon many other concerts Ive listened to that he was very much in a transitional state here. Something I wasnt looking for but sense in his playing.

For the accolades Jimi has been given for his amazing lead guitar work (justifiably so imo), what he was just as strong at, again imo, was his ability to come up with some very creative, grooving and hooky chord progressions. And great foundational grounding to make a strong song.

These chord progressions and themes seemed to be very prevalent at this point in his creativity. To me it seems he was very prolific in a different sense than his earlier work.

The chordal structures were still rock but heavier and thicker in a more soul funk way. I also get the feeling he was experimenting on stage in this concert. His lead and space galaxy type playing wasnt so much on his mind.

More so was the complex structures he was journeying into at this stage. I kind of find his playing, as far as lead, to be secondary on his mind at this point. The leads are fairly sloppy and I think it wasnt so much laziness or capability but rather his mind was in a different place constructively.

I dont find this concert to be up there with his best, but I am not sure he meant it to be. I think he found himself in the middle of his creativity and artistry changing at this point. And the concert is a peek into that change.

Chris M, Tristero, dee and 3 others like this.
  14. Doctor Flang

It's been years since i've last seen the movie, but if i remember correctly, it had something to do with somebody getting shot, and it was played in background for a few seconds or so.

15. pool_of_tears

Correct

16. pool_of_tears

Simply put, there is no bad Jimi. It’s all worth hearing. I like your description of “The chordal structures were still rock but heavier and thicker in a more soul funk way”. That’s easy to hear and the perfect example is at the beginning of Hey Baby. For all of his talent as a lead guitarist, Jimi was a master rhythm guitarist.

Any small edits or fixes (Mitch’s drum overdubs) do not bother me. I can listen to the boot of both sets, if I have such a burning desire.

I’m glad no audience sources were used to fill gaps. That would devalue things, a bit. I have audio software and can roll my own hybrid, if I wish. I’m sitting here in my office and listening to this set and am thoroughly enjoying what we have.

scotti likes this.
  17. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

Anyone have audio of Voodoo Child and the drum solo WITHOUT the overdubbed drums? Pretty please? Thanks.

18. Doctor Flang

Does anyone else find it weird, that altough Jimi's vocal mic sound is awful, Chuck Wein's spoken introduction sounds very good?

I always thought that the vocal sound was muffled because of all the foam tied over the mics, but could it be that the signal was also overloaded without the recording engineer noticing?

19. DoctorGero

DoctorGero Forum Resident

Yes. There is an audience recording without the overdubs, it also includes a part of the drumsolo after Voodoo Child.

Kurt Max likes this.
  20. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

I did more comparisons of the videos last night of Live In Maui verse Rainbow Bridge. In fact now I have decided to do complete comparisons of all 4 version including the 2 fan edits and will publish something at a later time somewhere. Possibly here or possibly another site. If at another site I will post the link here.

One big thing that I noticed last night. During Foxey Lady there is yet another section on Live In Maui towards the beginning where the EH uses stills over footage that was clearly in Rainbow Bridge! This is similar to what I found on HMT during the "I had to Leave That Town" part.

I understand using stills to cover for where there was no footage but I have now found 2 instances where they used stills over where there was obviously footage on Rainbow Bridge. Why???????

Chris M, Fox67, Kurt Max and 4 others like this.
  21. dsdu

dsdu less serious minor pest

Forget it, Jake, it's Experience Hendrix.
    [​IMG]

blind_melon1, Fox67, debased and 3 others like this.
  22. kanakaris

kanakaris Forum Resident

Rainbow Bridge Vibratory Color / Sound Experiment, Haleakala Volcano Crater, Maui, HI 30.07.70; 2nd Show - Raw Source
    (Sbd [ ] / 30:21 / Raw Source; Pre-drums overdub) Unknown Gen

23. The film is missing now? Or am I not reading your question right?

24. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

Voodoo Child is first show. This says second show. I'd love a link to first show sbd pre-drums overdub. I'd even take an audience recording as a consideration. But first show sbd pre-drums overdub is what I'd really be happy to get. Thanks in advance everybody.

25. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

The question is why they chose to do that. Even if the film is missing now (which I dont think it is). They could have used a copy from Rainbow Bridge in those sections instead of inserting stills over the existing Rainbow Bridge footage in those 2 places.