Jimi Hendrix - Live In Maui 1970 - New official release (20th November 2020)

Discussion in 'Music Corner' started by Purple Jim, Sep 9, 2020.

1. moomoomoomoo

moomoomoomoo WhoNeedsRealityWhenThere'sMoreSleepToLookForwardTo

And the answer is............... EH is a very incompetent company.

cs2003 and ChazFromCali like this.
  2. DoctorGero

DoctorGero Forum Resident

Kurt Max, I sent you a link via "private conversation" (inbox).

3. Mark7

Mark7 Forum Resident

I think the bottom line is fans fret over every second and see the value in that. EH does not, they just want to get "product" out. Honestly, the fans know more, just sayin'.

Maidenpriest and moomoomoomoo like this.
  4. moomoomoomoo

I agree. I can't stand Janie. My feelings started when she threatened to sue me years ago for selling a few Mike Jeffries estate Jimi cd's on ebay for $10-$15 ea................

Tuck1977, Anthrax and Maidenpriest like this.
  5. Experiencereunited

Experiencereunited Forum Resident

I think incompetent is a bit harsh. Clearly they made some decisions that to me don't make sense in few areas. Or if it was oversights just due to the magnitude of what was on offer that is another story. The people who do this are paid for it and while they may appreciate what they are working on and to some extent even be fans themselves the bottom line is its a job and if there are overruns of time etc.. things can get whittled down or missed. A fan edit on the other hand is generally not done for any money at all but simply for the love of it.

To be clear imo the EH version is hands down the best this material has ever been and for the most part the most complete this material has ever been. Does that make it perfect? No. There are a few obvious issues granted they are fairly small in the grand scheme of things but I also don't think they should be ignored.

Personally I also wish they had not passed on the Strange Day on Maui footage. Yes I know it is pretty far out there but using the Strange Day On Maui footage would have been better than some of the "All Cameras Stopped" places on HMT for example where the Strange Day on Maui footage covers at least portions of what the other cameras missed.

Chris M, jhm, EVOLVIST and 1 other person like this.
  6. bbanderic

bbanderic Forum Resident

Oh ok, I thought it wasn’t, that’s great!

scotti likes this.
  7. A Local Bloke

A Local Bloke Forum President

Thank you very much!

8. dee

dee Senior Member

I need to hear these songs in their played sequence :). That is maybe the way to at least better contextualize the mood, vibe, flow, and quality of that 1st set, imo, on this cd. My vinyl will have to wait. The shuffling of tracks is fine for fun but it's unnecessarily confusing otherwise imo.
    I can understand the reasons stated for it but still.

I like the drumming overdubs on Hey Baby and In From The Storm. My impression fwiw of Hey Baby and In From The Storm is they are jammy!

Foxey Lady sounds like a screamer. Billy Cox plays some deep fills and nimble runs. I figured this can't be the real sequence of performances of these three songs. Seems like Foxey Lady has more manic energy and scary voodoo than the previous pair of performances or rather its the transition in intensity or no perhaps simply its only its familiarity that seems more apparent as Hey Baby and In From The Storm get jammy and In From The Storm soon evolves into something fierce and primal.

Love the sound and playing on the first solo in Hear My Train. Then the 2nd that goes off the tracks and over the bridge. And the shorter 3rd solo. Heavy Rainbows!

The switch between the original drum tracks and the overdubbed drums can seem a little distracting to me at times as its not just about their placement in the mix but their sound too and then also a little the relation of them to the guitar, bass, and vocal. I feel like the vocal has a more of a tonal presence in the tracks that include the overdubbed drums. But then not on Purple Haze. Possibly as a whole there is a bit of some slightly different mixes mixed together imo beyond the drum recordings issues?

So Starting over in concert sequence, little that I know, but have read.
    Who doesn't LOVE some Spanish Castle Magic! 'Good Gawd Yawl' - no question mark necessary :) only an exclamation.
    Who doesn't like some "Lover Man" too AND "Message to Love" - ha, good stuff!

Original drum tracks, overdubbed drum tracks, mixed-up setlist sequence...
    With the setlist as played, it's a much better listen for me. Most excellent.
    Not knowing the setlist, it sounded out of sorts to me as it is configured on cd1.

Going to get repeat listens! And that's just cd1...

9. DoctorGero

I too had sometimes the impression that they switched sources. It especially happens after Voodoo Child and Straight Ahead.

Message to Love was played in between In From the Storm and Foxy Lady by the way.

dee likes this.
  10. Experiencereunited

Maui film comparisons

I have always loved the Maui show from Jimi. To Me Berkeley and Maui are the best shows we have from him and thanks to EH for getting so much of these out now in complete form. I did a detailed comparison of the 4 video sources below

Rainbow Bridge Laserdisc Japan Pressing ID3931RH (125 Min “Uncut”) – Michael Jeffrey/Chuck Wein
    Live In Maui 1970 Blu Ray- Experience Hendrix
    Fan Edit DVD – Mike Parker
    Maui Tree Edit DVD - Kurt Max

As far as sound and picture Quality go on an overall level I rate as follows.

1. Live in Maui Blu Ray - The best picture and sound quality by a substantial margin especially for the material not previously in Rainbow Bridge.
    2. Rainbow Bridge Laserdisc and Mike Parker DVD are ~ equivalent in both sound and video. Both are very good.
    3. Maui Tree DVD – Very Rough and distorted video. Sound ok. Video has obviously seen multiple VHS copying prior to being put on the DVD version I have.

Track Lists

Rainbow Bridge
    Note: Various clips of alternate studio takes appear throughout film. These takes are not available on any other release.

Performance:

1st set
    End of Gemini Twins set
    Chuck Wein Intro
    Crowd Ohms
    Hey Baby >
    In From The Storm
    Foxey Lady
    Hear My Train A Comin
    Voodoo Child
    Purple Haze
    Hear My Train A Comin
    Jimi Stoned Rap Session with Chuck Wein and Pat Hartley

2nd set
    Hey Baby

Live in Maui 1970
    Note: Late Show Hey Baby not in contiguous concert footage but appears at the end of the Documentary Music Money Madness on a truncated screen while the credits roll

Performance

1st set
    Chuck Wein Intro
    Hey Baby>
    In From The Storm
    Foxey Lady
    Hear My Train A’ Comin
    Voodoo Child
    Fire
    Purple Haze

2nd Set
    Dolly Dagger >
    Villanova Junction >
    Ezy Rider
    Red House
    Freedom
    Stone Free

Mike Parker Fan edit
    Assassin Clip
    Studio Pali Gap

Performance:

1st Set
    Spanish Castle Magic
    Lover Man
    Hey Baby >
    In From The Storm
    Message To Love
    Foxey Lady
    Hear My Train A Comin
    Voodoo Child
    Fire
    Purple Haze

2nd Set
    Dolly Dagger >
    Villanova Junction >
    Ezy Rider
    Stoned Jimi Rap Outtake Session with Chuck Wein and Pat Hartley
    Stoned Jimi Rap with Chuck Wein and Pat Hartley
    Hey Baby

Maui Tree

2nd set
    Dolly Dagger >
    Villanova Junction >
    Ezy Rider

1st Set
    Hear My Train A Comin’
    Voodoo Child
    Fire
    Spanish Castle Magic

Track by Track Comparisons

When it comes to shootout comparisons I picked the edit of the film that I think is the best. Shootout verdict is not a statement related to the overall picture and sound quality. I have already rated those for each film version as a whole above.

Gemini Twins/Chuck Wein Introduction

Rainbow Bridge – Features some Gemini Twins opening band performance footage and the longest opening monologue available from Chuck Wein. Additionally there is a crowd Ohm sequence.

Live in Maui - Abbreviated Chuck Wein Introduction
    Mike Parker Edit – NA
    Maui Tree - NA

Spanish Castle Magic

Rainbow Bridge – NA
    Live in Maui – NA

Mike Parker Edit. – This is based entirely on Strange Day on Maui Footage. Features crowd footage and surfing footage mixed with Strange Day on Maui footage. It is really nice surfing footage filmed during the filming of Rainbow Bridge. The surfing footage is used where there are holes in the Strange Day on Maui concert footage

Maui Tree – Completely Strange Day On Maui Footage no surfing etc. Version is incomplete and a different edit than Mike Parkers edit. There is more Strange Day on Maui Footage here than on Mike Parkers version but then again at least some of the Strange Day on Maui footage used in this version is not synched right and obviously from the late show.

Shootout verdict – Mike Parkers edit is the more complete and generally a better edit

Lover Man

Rainbow Bridge – NA
    Live in Maui – NA

Mike Parker Edit – This is based completely on Strange Day on Maui footage. Synched really well. Vintage BW surfing footage is mixed with Strange Day on Maui footage to supplement the missing performance footage. A really nice job done on this!!

Maui Tree – NA

Hey Baby

Rainbow Bridge – Incomplete version that chooses to use crowd footage or performance footage that is obviously out of place to cover the gaps of missing performance footage

Live In Maui –Less incomplete version than Rainbow Bridge. Uses Crowd footage to cover additional missing opening performance footage. Uses stills instead of out of place footage to cover later in the song missing performance footage gaps. Otherwise this is the same as the Rainbow Bridge camera edit.

Mike Parker Edit – Less incomplete version than Rainbow Bridge. Mixes the Rainbow Bridge camera edit with Seagull footage, Pearl Harbor footage, volcano footage and Strange Day on Maui footage (probably not actual Hey Baby footage) to come up with the complete track

Maui Tree -NA

Shootout verdict – I prefer Live In Maui but they are all good.

In From The Storm

Rainbow Bridge – Incomplete edit

Live In Maui – Complete Track. Uses “All Cameras Stopped” screen to cover the missing performance footage. Otherwise this is the same camera edit as Rainbow Bridge

Mike Parker Edit – Complete Track. Uses Rainbow Bridge camera edit combined with pyschadelic Star Trek footage and Strange Day On Maui Footage (which is nicely synched) to make the complete track. At the end there is lava footage as well. The Lava footage cuts into a bit of the tail of end of the Rainbow Bridge camera edit. So a bit of the Rainbow Bridge camera edit is missing here.

Maui Tree- NA

Shootout Verdict – Mike Parker’s Edit

Idea for future fan edit. Combine EH’s Live in Maui with the appropriate Strange Day on Maui footage to make the performance footage more complete. I tend to like Mike Parkers filler footage he used as well for the rest of it.

Message To Love

Rainbow Bridge – NA
    Live In Maui – NA

Mike Parker Edit – Completely built around Strange Day on Maui footage. Some of the footage at the beginning may actually be from Message To Love but most of it is obviously from the 2nd set and out of place. A bit of cool crowd footage not seen anywhere else too.

Maui Tree -NA

Verdict- Maybe this one shouldn’t even have been attempted. Seems mostly to just be the song playing over irrelevant footage to Message To Love.

Foxey Lady

Rainbow Bridge- Incomplete edited version.

Live In Maui - Complete Track. Uses “All Cameras Stopped” where there is missing performance footage. Inexplicably there are also some stills used where there is actual performance footage available from the Rainbow Bridge camera edit towards the beginning of the track! Otherwise this is the same camera edit as Rainbow Bridge.

Mike Parker Edit – Complete Track. Uses Rainbow Bridge Camera edit. To fill out areas where performance footage is missing. Videos of Pat Hartley are used. In the beginning Pat Hartley walking downtown. Later in the video is Hartley with a friend playing in the wind at various places on Maui.

Maui Tree – N/A

Shootout Verdict – Mike Parkers Edit

Future Fan edit suggestion. Patch Live In Maui with the Missing Rainbow Bridge footage and remove the stills and replace the “All Cameras Stopped” footage with the Pat Hartley footage from Mike Parkers edit.

Hear My Train A’ Comin

Rainbow Bridge – Bizarre incomplete edit that sandwiches parts of Voodoo Child and Purple Haze in the middle and starts and ends with Hear My Train. I will say that the edit going from Hear My Train into Voodoo Child is pretty cool and done really well for an edit of that magnitude.

Live In Maui- Complete Track. By Far the most footage of any version. Where Rainbow Bridge footage overlaps with this version the same camera edit is used. Uses “All Cameras Stopped” and some stills where there are gaps in performance footage. Inexplicably the EH edit again uses a still of a Flag in the “I had to leave that town” part of the song when the performance footage from the Rainbow Bridge camera edit was available! Also does not include between songs video after Hear My Train and before Voodoo Child where Jimi gets a towel to wipe some sweat off. Both fan edits include this.

Mike Parke Edit – Complete Track. Uses Strange Day on Maui footage (may or may not actually be from HMT), BW footage of a train carrying soldiers that appear to be going off to war and BW footage from the Vietnam War. Also includes BW footage from 1965 protesting the Vietnam War and LBJ footage giving a speech promising to be a Peace candidate to make the complete Track. Also includes with sound Jimi getting the towel and wiping sweat off between HMT and Voodoo Child.

Maui Tree- Incomplete Track. Only includes the very end of the song. Same Camera edit as all other versions. Does include Jimi getting the towel and wiping sweat off between HMT and Voodoo Child (but without sound during that part)

Shootout verdict Live in Maui edit but it still has a few issues

Future Fan Edit suggestion. Patch Live in Maui with the missing Rainbow Bridge footage in the “I had to Leave that town” part. Mike Parkers non-performance footage is pretty moving really and combining that with the EH edit patched with Rainbow Bridge in the area noted would make for the best version. Also include the portion EH cut out of Jimi grabbing the towel after HMT prior to Voodoo Child from Mike Parker’s edit.

Voodoo Child

All four versions have different camera edits!

Rainbow Bridge – Incomplete edit. Improperly sandwiched between Hear My Train and Purple Haze.

Live In Maui. Complete Track. Completely new camera edit. Different Camera edit than Rainbow Bridge during overlapping sections. Shows close up of dancers in front of the stage instead of some the coolest Jimi performance footage seen in the Rainbow Bridge edit when he is trading licks with Mitch with a big smile on his face.

Mike Parker Edit – Complete Track. Different camera edit featuring close ups of the dancers in front of the stage at a different time and in a different section of the song than the Live In Maui camera edit. Contains the cool video edit where Jimi is trading licks with Mitch with a big smile on his face rather than the close up video of stage dancers in this section (Rainbow Bridge also has this same camera edit during this part )

Maui Tree – Complete Track. Yet another different camera edit to the others featuring the same camera angle at the beginning all the way into the start of the first verse.

Shoutout Verdict They are all good and very cool. Mike Parkers perhaps has a very slight edge however, all of these different edits should be seen.

No fan edit suggestions. It seems more cameras were running at the same time during this song than any other. Would like for the raw camera footage(s) to surface someday.

Fire

Rainbow Bridge -NA

Live In Maui – Complete Track. Uses “All Cameras Stopped” to cover missing performance footage.

Mike Parker Edit- Complete Track. Same Camera edit as Live in Maui. Uses surfing footage to fill out the missing performance footage. The surfing footage is excellent.

Maui Tree – Incomplete Track. Same Camera edit as Live In Maui except the track is incomplete and ends when the performance footage ends.

Shootout verdict Mike Parker’s edit.

Fan Edit Suggestion. Combine Live in Maui with Mike Parkers surfing footage.

Purple Haze

Rainbow Bridge – Incomplete edit sandwiched between Voodoo Child and Hear My Train A’ Comin

Live In Maui – Complete Track. Uses All Cameras Stopped where there is no performance footage. Camera Edit is the same as Rainbow Bridge where there is performance footage.

Mike Parker Edit – Complete Track. Contains spoken intro not on Live At Maui. Uses Excellent Surfing footage where there is no performance footage and a bit of Strange Day on Maui at the end of the track. Camera Edit is the same as Rainbow Bridge where there is performance footage.

Maui Tree- NA

Shootout Verdict Mike Parkers edit

Fan Edit Suggestion. Combine Live in Maui with Mike Parkers surfing and Strange Day on Maui Footage

Dolly Dagger

Rainbow Bridge – NA

Live in Maui- Complete Track. Uses stills of Jimi where there is no performance footage. All footage from one Camera

Mike Parker Edit – Complete Track. Uses footage of Pat Hartley getting on a bus and playing in the wind to cover the missing performance footage sections. Performance footage is the same as Live in Maui.

Maui Tree – Incomplete Track. Only contains the performance footage. Performance footage is the same as Live In Maui.

Shootout Verdict Mike Parkers edit. I prefer to see the Hartley footage as opposed to Stills of Jimi but that is a matter of taste. If you prefer the stills of Jimi then the EH Live In Maui wins.

Villanova Junction

Rainbow Bridge – NA

Live In Maui – Complete Track. All footage from one camera

Mike Parker Edit – Complete Track. Same footage as Live In Maui

Maui Tree – Complete Track. Same footage as Live in Maui

Shootout Verdict Live in Maui

Ezy Rider

Rainbow Bridge – NA

Live In Maui – Complete Track. Uses “All Cameras Stopped” where there is no performance footage. Contains performance footage at the end of the song not previously in any fan edits

Mike Parker Edit - Complete Track. Footage at beginning of the track is the same as Live In Maui. Uses footage from Ezy Rider movie where there is no performance footage and Strange Day On Maui footage that looks like at least some of it is actually from the song. The Strange Day on Maui footage is from a different section of the song than the new Live in Maui footage at the end of the song. This edit does not have the footage from Live in Maui at the end of the track and instead uses more Ezy Rider movie footage at the end of the song.

Maui Tree - Incomplete. Only performance footage from the beginning of the song

Shootout verdict Live in Maui

Future Fan edit suggestion. Combine Live in Maui with the Strange Day on Maui footage and the Ezy Rider Movie footage and get rid of the “All Cameras Stopped” on the Live In Maui edit.

Red House

Rainbow Bridge – NA

Live in Maui – Complete Track. Filmed Beautifully!

Mike Parker Edit – N/A

Maui Tree – N/A

Freedom

Rainbow Bridge - N/A

Live in Maui – Complete Track. “All Cameras Stopped” used where there is no performance footage.

Mike Parker edit – N/A

Maui Tree – N/A

Stone Free

Rainbow Bridge - N/A

Live In Maui – Complete Track. “All Cameras Stopped” where there is no performance footage.

Mike Parker edit – N/A

Maui Tree – N/A

Hey Baby (2nd set)

Rainbow Bridge – Incomplete Edit

Live in Maui – Not in the main bonus footage but appears at the end of the Music, Money, Madness Documentary on a truncated screen while the credits roll. Camera edit is the same as Rainbow Bridge except a little bit shorter in length

Mike Parker Edit – Incomplete Edit. Same camera edit as Rainbow Bridge

Maui Tree – N/A

Shootout Verdict Rainbow Bridge

Final Thoughts.
    This is all imo and again my choice in the shootout is how much I enjoyed the film edit and it is not indicative of picture/sound quality. The new EH version has the best pictue and sound and is a joy to watch and listen to.
    Much of the Strange Day on Maui footage that EH passed on is from the 2nd set. If the proper place could be found for the 2nd set Strange Day on Maui footage that would be cool. Mike put a lot of it in Message to Love and it clearly doesn’t belong there. The Maui Tree put a lot of it in Spanish Castle Magic and it clearly doesn’t go there either.

11. Daddy-O4

Daddy-O4 Senior Member

I'm late to this party/thread, but my initial reaction was "does the world really need another Jimi live album?" After reading the reviews, I will definitely give it a listen.

pool_of_tears likes this.
  12. Thats a bit like asking if water really needs to be wet. :) Of course we need more concerts! Every single one is a unique improvisational experience. Indeed, there are plenty of top-notch shows that EH has yet to release. And yes, shows that are better than Maui '70.

Tuck1977, Mark7, Jon H. and 5 others like this.
  13. DoctorGero

I watched the Rainbow Bridge dvd with the concert footage again. In my memory footage from Voodoo Child was used for Hey Baby in this film, but now I have my doubts.

In addition to what ExperienceUnited says about the second set Hey Baby, if you look carefully, most footage used here is actually from Red House. The telltale sign is the young woman on the far right who stands behind a speaker/monitor. It is the same woman who pokes out her tongue and moves her head along with the music at the end of Ezy Ryder . On the bluray you can see her walk away during Red House. But you still see her standing there in the footage used for the second set Hey Baby. He's playing calmly there, so I think it is Red House. Only later during the second Hey Baby actual footage of that song is used.

14. moomoomoomoo

You can rip & burn in any order you'd like!

dee likes this.
  15. weavzy

weavzy Needle Dropper

The world needs more Live Jimi. This is without question.

16. Kurt Max

Kurt Max Forum Resident

I haven't had the time to carefully go through your comparisons but I am extremely pleased that you have done it. It will be a real resource when I attempt to put together a new fan made re-edit. Also what Doctorgero said about clips in Hey Baby actually being Red House...things like that are vital to doing a re-edit. Another spot to correct is the side view in Voodoo Child that pans over to Mitch. That always looked totally off to me. Again, I look forward to the comparisons and I will keep them handy.
    BTW Yesterday I had a nice long talk with Mike Parker...neither of us even mentioned Maui at all. HAHAHA. WOW.
    PS Here's yet another version of the Maui film (that you must have missed)... https://www.cda.pl/video/2740155ae

17. DoctorGero

The last video is the Mike Parker edit?

I think instead of Red House, Villanova Juncion might (also) have been used for the second Hey Baby. But I don't have the ability to read what Jimi plays by looking at his fingers.

kees1954 likes this.
  18. crozcat

crozcat Forum Resident

Great to finally have this officially released!
    The more I listen to the CDs, though, the difference between the tracks with/without overdubbed drums bothers me.
    The overdubbed drums are too "clean" and prominent in the mix to my ears - and as this new mix has the original drums sounding quite ok,
    I would have preferred to have all tracks released with the original drums.
    For my own listening pleasure I separated the tracks on two CDr's:
    tracks with original drums on one, tracks with overdubbed drums on the other - a much more enjoyable experience!

dee, Maidenpriest, Greenblues and 2 others like this.
  19. Greenblues

Greenblues Forum Resident

Just listened to the first set again. To my ears the main problem regarding the sound of these recordings arises from the muffled awfully distant vocals. Where guitar and drums sound quite sharp and defined, almost graphic, happening right behind the speakers, the vocals always remain in the back, almost like somebody used an audience recording with only the vocals on it and then overdubbed all the other instruments.

Knowing this was not the case and considering this was a multitrack recording, compromised as it might have been, I wonder why they couldn't enhance the vocal track somehow, at the very least turn up the volume a bit.

Could it be that, apart from the wind issue, they had microphphone troubles, resulting in a non existing or not usable vocal track? To me it sounds as if the vocals are coming from one or several of the remaining tracks, used for the instruments which would explain why they sound so distant and why maybe they could't handle them separately.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
  20. Headfone

Headfone Nothing Tops A Martin

Slightly off topic, but still pertinent:

Jimi Hendrix would have been 78 years old today.

21. lukpac

lukpac Senior Member

There would be essentially zero bleed of the vocals onto the other tracks. You could probably tell that Hendrix was singing at times, but probably not what he was singing.

Not sure exactly why the vocals sound the way they do, but it’s not because they are just bleed from other tracks.

kees1954 likes this.
  22. dee

dee Senior Member

Next up project for me too. Just have to get the cd1 setlist burned in sequence also in spite of the drum tracks.

23. Maidenpriest

Maidenpriest Setting the controls for the heart of the sun :)

Apart from the drum (and maybe bass overdubs) I really don't think that had anymore to work with than what is in the trader circles, essentially the Bob Terry Tape or we would have had a better vocal, it sounds like what they have done is just overlay the drum overdubs to the Bob Terry tape, not really very good IMO, just a release of the Terry Tape would have worked better for the Audio Cd's IMO because the mix is so primitive and uneven and not consistent from track to track with the overdubs and maybe they should have used the overdubs for just the video or not at all IMO apart from stand alone songs like what has been on the boxset, trying to make a complete gig this way is so jarring and personally for me I will just stick to the original mono Terry tape !! Or as stated here stick all the overdubs as one set and the non-overdubs as the second !! personally IMO they should have just had the unfutz with gig on two Cd's and a third Cd containing the overdubbed versions as bonus tracks, but knowing EH's history they will probably have a better sounding definite version to release in the future

Last edited: Nov 27, 2020
    Greenblues likes this.
  24. Experiencereunited

" personally IMO they should have just had the unfutz with gig on two Cd's and a third Cd containing the overdubbed versions as bonus tracks, but knowing EH's history they will probably have a better sounding definite version to release in the future"

I like this idea. They may not have thought of it. I hadn't thought of it until you wrote that.

25. Experiencereunited

No its not the Mike Parker edit. Different yet again that what I went. The biggest difference is again in Voodoo Child. Seems they had the most film from different cameras to work with during Voodoo Child.